• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Picatinny Rail for X-Bolt?

He Shoot Me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
No. Cal.
I need a little help finding a rail for a friend who has a Browning X-Bolt. (Short action/270WSM) He wants to mount a NF 3-15x 50mm on top and I wasn’t really sure if he should go straight 30mm rings to the receiver or go Picatinny base/Rings.

He's setting this up as a hunting rig, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

It would be nice to find one with 20MOA, but it's not a deal breaker because that NXS should have plenty of elevation. So far I've found mounts made by EGW for the A-Bolt, but have no idea if these would work on the X-Bolt.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_128&products_id=225

Thanks for any help,

-Pat

Re: Picatinny Rail for X-Bolt?

To the best of my knowledge, A-bolt rifles and X-bolt rifles do NOT have interchangeable bases. You also need to make 100% sure that the SA base will work properly on your rifle because I believe, at one time, there were differences for the WSM and WSSM actions (don't quote me on that...I can't seem to find and I don't recall where I saw that info).

In addition to Murphy Precision (first class outfit), you might also check with Ken Farrell and see what Ken has to offer for the X-bolt:

http://www.kenfarrell.com/

Good luck!!

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help!

I sent an email to EGW yesterday and was happily surprised with how quickly they responded, (<3 hours) and thought I would share just in case anyone may need to know.

George Smith Wrote:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Hi Pat,

The A bolt has the holed down the middle.

The strange X bolt has 4 screws each in front and back. Different cat.

We make an X bolt mount.

If you can / would, measure the distance with a ruler between the back pair of front screws and the front pair of back screws and

Let us know what that number is.

There is a short and a long action.

In A bolts there is a WSSM, Short and long action. Hopefully the X bolt will only have 2 lengths!

Thank you for asking"</span>

-Pat

I just received an a-bolt base from murphy precision. its absolutely top notch in terms of quality. definitely give them a look if. I know they can make whatever degree base you want also

I just received my rail from Murphy for my .308 X-bolt yesterday. Cameron had not drilled one for this setup yet, so I gave him the spacing over the phone. It fit <span style="text-decoration: underline">perfectly</span>! Buy with confidence. The front set of holes in the receiver are very shallow and the screws will need to be trimmed. I had originally installed Talleys and they also needed a trim job.

Jon

Check with talley mfg. They make the "browning" mounts for the x-bolt and also make rails. Not sure if they make a rail for it yet but would have the specs to do so.

Just wanted to update this for anyone else who finds themselves looking for one of these.

Again EGW's response via email was very, very, fast. (Sent email with measurement after hours last night; received reply before returning to the office this morning.) Thanks George!

They have it available in their heavy duty line of rails out of 7075 T6 Aluminum or 4140 Steel for short action, and they're currently working on a long action version. Pretty reasonable price as well.

Here's a link:

http://www.egwguns.com/browning/hd-browning-x-bolt-short-action-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/

-Pat

I also wanted to update this thread; I have an Browning X-Bolt in .30-06, so it is a long action. After seeing the link & ad for Murphy Precision, I gave him a call to see if he could make me a base. Turns out he has made LA bases, but hasn't updated his web site to indicate that fact. Placed the order by phone yesterday, just got an email indicating he finished it up and shipped it yesterday as well. Included a USPS tracking number and asked me to let him know if I have any trouble with it.

Nice service, would certainly recommend Cameron Murphy for anyone in a similar situation.