• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Picatinny rail & MOAs

Tib's sps.tac

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Ok i started a similar thread earlier but my question is now more refined due to having some of my questions answered.

I have a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 with 1/8 MOA adjustments. I understand now that 1/4 adjustments are preferred for long range shooting but that 1/8 MOA scopes can still provide long range shots with the help of a picatinny rail. I really dont want to buy a new scope so i am opting to go with a rail system. The question now is what MOA rail system should i go with (15 MOA, 20 MOA etc.)?

My scope's max internal adjustments is 30 MOA (which means 240 clicks). Currently, i am using a 0 MOA rail but am zeroed out a 100 yards at 190 clicks up (only have 50 clicks available to me on the up). Can i get a 20 MOA rail and still be zeroed out at 100 yards?

Re: Picatinny rail & MOAs

20 MOA base equals 800 yard dialed for you.

If you have a Mil-dot you can hold 900, 1000yds.

Johhn

A 20 MOA rail will Add About 20 MOA of Elevation (UP)

Instead of using 23.75 of your avail MOA to Zero, you will only have "About" 3.75 MOA left of DOWN ... if all fits well, you will Just be able to Zero @ 100, And will have 95% of your erector travel for "Up" Elevation.

Beautiful...thanks guys. I think i am going to go ahead with the EGW 700 20 MOA picatinny rail. Thanks for you help
smile.gif

Just to clarify, "going to a rail" isn't necessary to get 20MOA of adjustment. Depending on the gun you can get a two piece 20 MOA base that offers the same range of elevation. Also, rails can be 0 MOA so changing to a one piece rail doesn't necessarily give you what you need. Seemed like an odd way to phrase the question.

@ 300sniper, I hear you but i also like the flexibility the rail gives me (i.e. switching out scopes). As mentioned in my original post i am already using a 0 MOA rail so i simply want to accommodate longer range shooting by upgrading to a more aggressive MOA rail.