• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picatinny Rail that works with 10-32 ButtonHead Screws

BillyNg

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Hartsdale, NY
Have a new SAC-built .308 that I took delivery of last week (pics once she's all kitted out). She sits in a Manners PRS1 and the Atlas I ordered was for picatinny rail (studs always looked/felt flimsy to me). Anyway, I ordered a BCM 5.5" rail and two sets of Atlas' rail mounting fasteners, BT1517: https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_n...rer/73-bt1517-rail-mounting-fastener-set.html .

The problem is, the 10-32 screws that come with the Atlas kit don't fit through the holes in the BCM rail and even if they did, the button heads on the screws don't fit into the screw recesses (I bored one out to see). Atlas makes a 4" aluminum rail, but $35 for a 4" rail just seems egregious to me. I saw a picture up on Amazon of what appeared to be a buttonhead screw fitting inside a Magpul polymer rail, so I ordered up a Magpul aluminum rail in hopes that that works (I'll know tomorrow, thank you 2-day shipping).

Anyone else run into a similar problem?

20191007_195104.jpg
20191007_195501.jpg
20191007_195239.jpg

Magpul Aluminum rail on spotter cage.
Atlas rail on wood stocked Ruger 22.
Area 419 rail on Manners stock.

I would use an Area 419 but you could most likely get the Magpul to work.

Good luck with your project and I hope the pics were of some help.

Have a new SAC-built .308 that I took delivery of last week (pics once she's all kitted out). She sits in a Manners PRS1 and the Atlas I ordered was for picatinny rail (studs always looked/felt flimsy to me). Anyway, I ordered a BCM 5.5" rail and two sets of Atlas' rail mounting fasteners, BT1517: https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_n...rer/73-bt1517-rail-mounting-fastener-set.html .

The problem is, the 10-32 screws that come with the Atlas kit don't fit through the holes in the BCM rail and even if they did, the button heads on the screws don't fit into the screw recesses (I bored one out to see). Atlas makes a 4" aluminum rail, but $35 for a 4" rail just seems egregious to me. I saw a picture up on Amazon of what appeared to be a buttonhead screw fitting inside a Magpul polymer rail, so I ordered up a Magpul aluminum rail in hopes that that works (I'll know tomorrow, thank you 2-day shipping).

Anyone else run into a similar problem?

Fact is everybody does it different. I do know 10/32 is a common thread pitch and all head types are available. We make a variety of rail sections for different applications that accept different screw head styles. The BT1517 is offered with the thought of using these fasteners with either the BT15 (19.95) or BT17 (29.95) rail. Even with MLOK, with all the good intentions that magpul made in open sourcing this design at NO COST with the simple request manufacturers agree to stick to the diminsions, there are companies making "their" version which makes for incompatibility. Result? looks like MLOK but it's not. In the end, I'm thankful we have options and hardware stores!

Reactions: MarinePMI