• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picatinny rail to fit US Remington Model, 1903 Springfield

op8ed

Words i live by, Never give up, Never surrender.
Minuteman
May 5, 2021
Help!
Back in 1982 I built a custom 30-06 US Remington Model 1903, with a McMillan barrel, and a Bell and Carlson stock, on a US Remington 1903 Springfield at the time I had Weaver scope bases installed on the top of the receiver, they are centered on the receiver and have never been a problem, until I purchased a new Scope with a 30mm tube. the tube is too short to mount on the existing bases. I need a Picatinny rail, as the new scope tube is shorter than my old ocope. and will not fit the mounts as they are too far apart to mount the new scope.
I do not want to have the receiver re-drilled and tapped, so I am looking for a rail to fit my existing bases. the bases are Weaver #55 on the front of the receiver and the rear is a Weaver 54 on the rear, the dimensions over all are 5.352 inches front of the front mount to rear of the rear mount is 5.352 inches the inside dimensions from the rear of the front mount, to the front of the rear mount is 3.752 inches.
Can anyone point me in the right direction, to find a Picatinny rail that will fit my existing bases?
Thanks greatly in advance.

I put, I think, an egw on mine years ago. 0 moa cant. It's been a while so don't quote me.

Reactions: op8ed
Will Badger make you one?
I don't know have not contacted them.Thanks I will find out Monday.
Yes the 1903 is a beauty even in battle dress. and as rugged as a titanium cube.

EGW will sell you blank pic rail. Get a local machinist to measure and drill?

I don't know have not contacted them.Thanks I will find out Monday.
Yes the 1903 is a beauty even in battle dress. and as rugged as a titanium cube.
EGW is about 6 weeks out on production. I could wait or try retail. I told them I will wait for them to start production and will get it undrilled.

Not sure if this will help with your issue but S&K makes this mount. Fits the rear sight dovetail in the rear and a clamp ring in the front on the chamber. No drill and worked for me .
stick1.jpg

Thanks, Highbrass.
I have a 0 MOA EGW on the way made for my '03. It is undrilled, and made for my action.
Local machine shop is going to drill it to match my receiver.

Highbrass, that is sweet. I have an undrilled EGW need to get time to take it to local smith and have it installed I have an 03 not the 03A3 so no dovetail for rear site, going to have it recrowned while i have it down. I bought a borescope and now I know it has never been really clean...
lost of hard carbon, layered with copper. where I can see the grooves, they look fine, ans square where I can see them, thte lands are still flat and square, nicely ramped at the throat, no problems in chamber or throat freebore is clean and looks like new too.
I am amazed I could hit a 3 inch circle at 100M, we were shooting 500 when I had to take a break and get a real job... Too old for that work any longer. Now I have a good bit of hard carbon layered with copper had two 24 hour soaks in Hoppes #9 and their bench rest benchrest formula, it smells like it had ammonia in it so cic not let soak it with that more than 15 minutes, still needs a los of cleaning.
I an now wondering if .5 micron diamond lapping paste would cut the fouling and not harm the barrel..
Headed down that rabbit hole now.

I suggest trying Boretech Eliminator in your barrel. Great product.

Reactions: Ledzep
I suggest trying Boretech Eliminator in your barrel. Great product.
Thanks, Will find it and give it a try. Right now on the 2nd Hoppe's #9, full bore soak, tried Kroil, the Hoppe's is showing more copper after the patch has dried.
Still getting plenty of carbon with either one.
I also filled the barrel with Kroil and heated it up with a heat gun , but not as hot as shooting in the MS sun in the summer time, ran clean patch wrapped brush until a clean patch.
Hoppe's #9 with a patched brush, got more carbon, copper shows up when patch dries.
Will spend an hour or so in the morning.
Time is not a prime prerequisite, just my rifle back like it should be.
Don't want to replace the barrel, only as a last resort.

Have you ever heard of Ed's Red ?
I make a batch once a year and share it because it makes so much.
Pretty simple recipe
1st get an empty clean gallon container
1 QT Valvoline Universal ATF
1QT low odor mineral spirits
1 QT 10 WT non detergent oil (compressor oil)
add a small amount of orange oil degreaser (Toluene) or Goof Off

mix it well
This stuff is really amazing
Not only is it some of the best penetrating oil, it also dissolves carbon and powder fouling.
Works great for cleaning carbon fouled barrels (just soak)
Cuts grime and grease. I use it in my ultrasonic cleaner.
The beauty part is it leaves a light oil film which will protect parts for a while.
I don't recommend it as a long term protectant as it will evaporate.
I used it once on a Mosin Nagant that barrel that was so fouled you almost couldn't see the grooves.
just let it soak overnight...worked great.

Have you ever heard of Ed's Red ?
I make a batch once a year and share it because it makes so much.
Pretty simple recipe
1st get an empty clean gallon container
1 QT Valvoline Universal ATF
1QT low odor mineral spirits
1 QT 10 WT non detergent oil (compressor oil)
add a small amount of orange oil degreaser (Toluene) or Goof Off

mix it well
This stuff is really amazing
Not only is it some of the best penetrating oil, it also dissolves carbon and powder fouling.
Works great for cleaning carbon fouled barrels (just soak)
Cuts grime and grease. I use it in my ultrasonic cleaner.
The beauty part is it leaves a light oil film which will protect parts for a while.
I don't recommend it as a long term protectant as it will evaporate.
I used it once on a Mosin Nagant that barrel that was so fouled you almost couldn't see the grooves.
just let it soak overnight...worked great.

Headed to get needed items in the morning.
I have methylene chloride, xylene, and Acetone and or carb and break cleaner for degreasing parts.
If all else fails will go to hot water and Palmolive detergent, and a hot water rince.
Wish I had a 36 inch ultrasonic cleaner.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help with your issue but S&K makes this mount. Fits the rear sight dovetail in the rear and a clamp ring in the front on the chamber. No drill and worked for me .
View attachment 7628534
Is your rifle an 03 or a 03A3 ? I purchased the S&K no drill no tap mount for my '03 springfield sporter. Every 3rd shot the mount slips off the rear of the receiver bridge. Sent mount back to S&K they said it was good and sent it back to me. Trying to find a gunsmith in Northeast Ohio to drill and tap receiver then alter the S&K with a thru screw....Had it at gunsmith for 3 months, he called last night and said he can't do it because it is an '03, and not a 03A3