• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pick a 308 AR10 for me

Firefour

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2005
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wanting to buy a lower priced AR10 308. For banging steel, paper punching, cans, etc., fun stuff.
I have custom bolts in 308, and 6.5cm in bolt and semi.

Here's my local gun store options--more or less 1K in price--Most are carbine length
Anyone have real experience with these as to what to pick?
Thanks
S & W MP 10
Bushmaster xm10
Dpms oracle
Armalite Spr mod 2
Diamondback
Springfield Saint victor

I've shot the Smith-was very accurate as I think it has a 5r barrel. I thought is was uglier then hell with the round hand guard with gas block exposed etc but the damn thing was a shooter and it was on the light side as well.

From what I've been reading here lately the Savage MSR 10s are shooters but they'll be a little north of 1k.

My buddy has the S&W MP10. Shoots decent but I prefer my Savage MSR10. Costs more but much nicer.

PSA. About $850 invested not including glass.
IMG_0331.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
I’m going to say S&W M&P 10. 5R rifling shots pretty well. I’m partial, I own one. One shot groups convinced me. Add a couple of Lancer Carbon parts, some titanium sprinkled in, muzzle break and gas block. Add a Leupold Lrp on top.

I saw them selling for the 1k mark a week or two ago somewhere?

Thought of building, but just want to buy it and be done.
Found out this morning I have a $500 credit at one store from a past deal that finally got settled. yeah
They have the Armalite sbr mod2 and the bushmaster BR308.
Which one would be the go to gun?
Thanks

I agree with building as well. I just put this one together last night. 20” JP Enterprise 308 on an Aero M5 E1 set.

Attachments

• 3917EFA2-B868-45BC-B3F1-EF9B154332E7.jpeg
    3917EFA2-B868-45BC-B3F1-EF9B154332E7.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 738B506F-BBD5-41D6-AF2E-337291000356.jpeg
    738B506F-BBD5-41D6-AF2E-337291000356.jpeg
    643.7 KB · Views: 48
Out of the llst you provided the Armalite probably

I would build using Aero M5 receivers

Spend money on the barrel

COuld also look at the Larue UU kits for 308. That option wouldnt be much more than your price point

Armalite out of that list. The S&W MP10 uses a proprietary barrel. SW will NOT sell you a new barrel if you need one and will not replace the barrel if you send it back. BUT, they will sell you a new gun for under MSRP which they will tell you is a discounted price but more than you paid for yours on the retail market...

Knew a guy that went through this. With all the options out there, I would never buy a SW MP10 for this reason alone of not being able to service it.

Rock River would be a nice one if you can get one and dont want to build

Reactions: The DFC
I went with the PA-10 version using the M-Lok forend and 20" barrel, mainly for the rifle length gas system.

This Lower, this Upper, this Trigger Upgrade, this Bolt Catch Extender, and this Bipod.

I'll be trying IMI 168gr Semi-Auto Match once the temps pick back up around here, about 1/3 of the elevations around me are above the Snow Line.

Greg

Last edited:
Armalite out of that list. The S&W MP10 uses a proprietary barrel. SW will NOT sell you a new barrel if you need one and will not replace the barrel if you send it back. BUT, they will sell you a new gun for under MSRP which they will tell you is a discounted price but more than you paid for yours on the retail market...

Knew a guy that went through this. With all the options out there, I would never buy a SW MP10 for this reason alone of not being able to service it.

That's good info on the SW-I had no idea.

The Rock River is way more proprietary than the M&P10 by a long shot. The thing uses FAL mags for heaven's sake. The M&P10 is DPMS compatible more or less. Once you shoot out the barrel you can swap in any DPMS compatible barrel you want but you'll have to swap the BCG too because the bolt is proprietary to the barrel extension and the carrier is proprietary to the bolt.

So you already have custom 308 & 6.5 bolts and semis but you want to buy a lower end ar10?

Why not just spend $1k on ammo instead and shoot your nice guns more?

Reactions: shax2lex
FWIW I built a beater on Aero receivers and a Bear Creek garbage barrel and I still get 2MOA from commercial-loaded 168gr ammo without much trouble. I really like their receivers, and little things like lapping the upper and not using a $50 barrel will go a long way to tightening up your groups. I'm in at $800 with a Chinesium FF pipe, Armaspec buffer, and RRA 2-stage trigger. Adjustable gas is a must IMO.

If you're dead set on buying I'd look for a complete Aero or maybe a used DPMS if quality isn't a major concern, but I think the M5 lowers at least have enough features to be worthwhile.

Another thought, Brownells has their BRN-10s if accuracy takes a second seat to fun. I popped one of their Dutch-pattern uppers on an offbrand DPMS-pattern lower and chucked a vintage Leupold on as a tribute to what might have been the M24 if we'd chosen the AR10 instead of the M14.