• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pick My Next Rifle

JA1989

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
Ok, y’all help me pick my next long range hunting/steel shooting rifle. Budget for the rifle only, without glass, is $2500. Extreme accuracy is a must, I am a fairly experienced hand loader so not limited to factory ammo options. My current max range in my terrain is 1100 yards at furthest. Usually don’t have any long walks, I deer hunt mostly from elevated tower stands. Here’s what I already have. My go-to rifle is a custom built .280AI that was built a few years back by a little-known local gunsmith. Does fine work but this gentleman is getting on in age and really doesn’t want to build rifles much anymore. This rifle will hold .3moa accuracy out to 1000 yards if I do my part, with a Berger 168gr VLD hunter moving right at 2900fps. This is an example of the accuracy I expect. My next rifle is a Remington 700 action with a Shilen match barrel chambered in .260 rem. I recently pulled this rifle back out and haven’t stretched it out yet, but in the past it’s been extremely accurate out to 300 yards. So I’m covered on the lighter side of things, and the 280AI is a good all purpose round out to 800-1000 for hunting. I’d like to step up in caliber a bit for hopefully future hunts after elk, stag, bear, sheep, etc. I understand the 280 AI is capable of killing all of the above, but I love new rifles. Don’t want anything with recoil that’s too punishing. I’m thinking along the lines of a .300 PRC or 7STW. So what are your recommendations? I’ve been checking out Bergara, Fierce, and Seekins rifles thus far. Tell me what you think.

Get a barreled action spun up, add a trigger and stock.

7 stw
7 bc warrior
7-300
7- Sherman max
28 nosler
Will all push a 195 at high velocity

7 saum
7 sherman short
Will push a 180 at +- 3000 fps

300 prc
For the 300 mag easy button.

Seekins will chamber in Sherman Wildcats. My choice is 7 sherman short running 180 at 3000 fps. The Sherman max will scoot them a little faster.

Reactions: Jlknights61
300 PRC is a great choice. Check out the 300 PRC thread in the ELR sub forum as there is a ton of great info there.

Just to give you some idea. I have a 20” barrel 300 PRC getting 2750 with Berger 245gr EOL. That’s supersonic to just under a mile and has ~1700 ft lbs of energy at 1000 yds. You can certainly do better with a longer barrel.

I personally don’t find the recoil to punishing, usually shot with a 338 ultra though which takes a lot out of it. That being said I didn’t notice it that much with just a break either.

7STW is cool chambering and I strongly considered a 28 nosler prior to going with the 300 PRC. If memory serves some guys were getting close to 3100 FPS with Berger 195gr out of the 28 nosler. 28 nosler is ballistically very similar to the 7STW, with the 28 nosler I believe be designed to seat heavy for caliber bullets more easily.

As for the rifle, your budget would easily allow a custom build. Grab something like an big horn origin barreled action ($1600-1800), trigger ($150-300), and chassis like krg bravo ($350) or X-ray ($450), mdt oryx (~$400) etc.

There are a lot of options in the budget you’ve listed.