• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up 500rds XM193 today

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Stopped at my local gun dealer and picked up a brick of XM193 Federal black box for $159.00 plus 6% tax.

That's not a bad price so if he gets any more I'll probably pickup another.

This stuff shoots pretty well in my AR's.

Re: Picked up 500rds XM193 today

Yeah, that's some good plinking ammo. $300/1000 is about the going rate right now, but I'm wondering if it's gonna go up with the price hikes.

I just came from a Patrol Carbine Instructors class last week. Make sure you check your rounds we had a Deputy who had some issues with his XM193 Federal, black box ammo. Nothing serious no damage or injuries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blue Line</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just came from a Patrol Carbine Instructors class last week. Make sure you check your rounds we had a Deputy who had some issues with his XM193 Federal, black box ammo. Nothing serious no damage or injuries.</div></div> What was the issue with the ammo?

Recently bought some of the same ammo in a 400 round case. I had 2 rounds really give me problems. One the primer completely blew out of the casing and the second one looked like a dog chewed on the rim of the case. Just went through 1000 rounds of PMC ammo and didnt have any problems. When I did police up the brass there was only 2 that really looked messed up. Also did have one double feed and one FTE.

I tried some of the ammo in question in my POF 415. It shot fine the problem was trying to get a live round out of the chamber. I had to Mortar my rifle 2 Or 3 times within 200 rounds to get the damn thing unloaded. I wont buy the XM193 anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big_Country31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried some of the ammo in question in my POF 415. It shot fine the problem was trying to get a live round out of the chamber. I had to Mortar my rifle 2 Or 3 times within 200 rounds to get the damn thing unloaded. I wont buy the XM193 anymore. </div></div> What was the cause of that? Dented brass, projectile hitting into the rifling, or what? Was there other bad ammo in the case that you noticed after these problems?

While running ranges for years I hit a sour lot, but the success rate was over 99.9%. One batch we had 8 squibs out of four different cases (same lot, different rifles), and we dumped 150k rounds due to that. With the M855 we've come across two backwards projectiles and the butt end painted green, but the rest shot just fine. When you're buying 1.2 million rounds per year, you're going to come across a couple errors.

I'm just interested in what is happening lately and whether it was the actual ammunition or something else like magazines, dirty chambers, rifle condition, etc. That's why I'm asking what the specifics of the situation were. A lot of errors get blamed on ammunition when it has nothing to do with the problem.

I give everything I load a look going into the magazines, and while the stuff isn't pretty, it works and works pretty well. Quality control on the bulk ammo is a bit lower, but it happens when you buy bargain milsurp.

I'm considering running all my personal bulk ammo purchases through Southwest Ammunition as their prices are pretty close to anywhere else if not cheaper, but I would not think twice about shooting XM193. I don't discount the entire brand of FGMM because I had a bad lot, nor will I XM193. The stuff works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big_Country31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried some of the ammo in question in my POF 415. It shot fine the problem was trying to get a live round out of the chamber. I had to Mortar my rifle 2 Or 3 times within 200 rounds to get the damn thing unloaded. I wont buy the XM193 anymore. </div></div>

My experience with the event you describe has ALWAYS been about insufficient full length resizing.

Conditions in question....Brand new POF less than 500 Rounds fired. Brand new Pmags, All components clean and serviceable. Im not sure if the ammo wasn't full length sized correctly but im almost sure the bullet was sticking in the rifling. My reasoning is the rifle was in full battery allowing me to fire it just not eject it. Im not sure how many rounds were bad as I didn't try to unload every round just tried to shoot them all. Hope this helps.

I believe the live round would not fire or eject in the chamber. the "X" in the XM193 means it did not meet the military requirements for some reason, usually under powered.

I have also had a few XM193s neither fire nor eject easily. Had to tap on the charging handle with a piece of wood to get them out. Was at the range and had to notify the rangemaster, he said he had seen it before with the XM193 rounds. Switched to PMC and not had a problem since. Also the PMC ammo was more accurate in my AR.

Nfoley, you don't have to beat your charginghandle with wood. The simplest way I know of to remove a stuck round is to mortar the weapon. This consists of placing weapon on safe, maintain pressure on charginghandle to the rear holding locking latch open, then with muzzle in a safe direction SLAM buttstock onto the deck or nearest solid object.