• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Picked up a Glock 42

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Glock 42 since they announced the model at SHOT. Initial reports of issues kept me away but after seeing several of my coworkers have no issues, and the recent appearance of trespassers on our hunting lease, I decided to go ahead and pick one up. It came in yesterday and I set out to get acquainted with it.

G42_zpsb601785c.jpg

First 12 rounds at 10 yards showed it to be sufficiently accurate for its intended use.

G42Group_zps1a5fe895.jpg

The feel of the trigger was an improvement over other Glock models. Short reset, minimal stacking and a more crisp feel to the break. I did find an old issue had resurfaced though, the trigger safety lever did not sit flush with the face of the trigger when fully depressed. I haven't had this issue with the last few Glocks I've had. After I finished shooting it I pulled the trigger bar, pressed the safety down fully and filed off the excess. Should be more comfortable to shoot next go around.

I put 200 FMJ and 50 Hydra Shocks through it yesterday with zero malfunctions. The last mag of Hyrda Shocks I shot was 5 rounds and I took a poke at a steel silhouette at 85 yards. 4 out of 5 on the steel at that distance with such a small/short pistol tells me I'm going to like this little bastard. Not quite as small as other offerings in .380 and I'm not a fan of the cartridge but it has removed any excuse I may have had for walking out the door unarmed. It'll see a good bit of use, at least until Glock comes out with a 9mm version.

G422_zpsb132ab21.jpg

The only potential issue I noticed was that the polymer on the magazine near the feed lips was pulling away from the liner. I thought Glock had remedied this years ago but it seems to be back with the 42 magazines. Hasn't caused any problems but I'll be keeping an eye on the mags.

G423_zps862f3f0d.jpg

The easiest to shoot 380 on the market!

I shot a IDPA match clean with the wife's 42 getting me 4th place with it which surprised myself and my friends!

The easiest to shoot 380 on the market!

I shot a IDPA match clean with the wife's 42 getting me 4th place with it which surprised myself and my friends!

So, you have extensive experience with the cz83 and beretta M84 and can say, unequivocally, that the Glock is easier to shoot than either?

Alright for the hard to please I'll reword my statement. The 42 is the softest shooting 380 "I've" fired thus far and it is also the easiest to shoot 380 "I've" shot allowing me to hit accurately at distance, not just across the room like what is considered normal for a 380. Heck I was shooting a 15" plate at 80Y with it 2 weeks ago and hardly missed. I was also dropping 6" plates on the plate rack in just over 4 seconds from low ready at 12Y.

Okay fd I don't have unequivocal evidence to the contrary and not a lot of experience with many 380's. But...

I used to shoot my fathers Browning BDA 380 quite a bit and since it's a double action with a long DA pull I prefer the Glock much better even though the 42 is smaller and lighter. Plus the BDA was big enough that there are other pistols in 9mm I'd rather be shooting that are about the same size, think G19 or M&P Shield. No experience with the CZ in 380. Closest was a 9x18 Makarov - still take the 42. I've shot a Bersa in 380 which is a strait blowback system also. Nope not as soft shooting as the 42 with it's locked breach design and double recoil reduction spring system.

The Grendel P10 was torture - nastiest shooting 380?? Maybe we can agree on this.

Here's the thing. The smallest 380's are too small to fit a medium sized hand well let alone big hands, have a shorter sight radius, have heavyish triggers or long DAO triggers, have more felt recoil and more muzzle flip. These are most of the reasons why I suggested the G42 for my wife over every other 380 on the market. After putting about 400 rounds through it we both agree that we made the best decision we could have.

I got one after shooting a co-workers. Outstanding little pistol, it is my running/biking carry gun. I have about 600 rounds thru it now, no malfunctions and surprisingly accurate. I have shot the M84 quite a bit, I'll take the Glock over it in a heartbeat. YMMV.

Much as I've tried, I hate Glocks. Owned about 10, including the G42 and they are all gone. Every gun is not for every person.
Had a G17 that I kept longer than any of them but could not get a comfortable grip on it for anything. Fingers ALWAYS hurt after any range time with it.
My buddy LOVES his G42 better than any he's ever owned, and that's saying something, he's a gun nut.

I own one as well as my wife it, I have over 1000 rounds through mine of various ball and SD rounds and zero malfunctions. It is my summer carry gun and I love it. I have added the Vickers ext slide stop, mag release and baseplates and IMO it makes the experience even better. I have shot alot of different .380's and this is by far the best one I have shot.

6312A9FD-D47C-424E-B429-C2622D7B252D.jpg

5AB3AB80-1791-4ABE-B70D-C04B915D4E78.jpg

A67383D8-A808-4A35-869E-73DE813AD1FA.jpg

4E082200-1AAD-42B0-BF00-CA5EA59A86B1.jpg

F19C26BF-C862-46B2-AFBD-4C390CDA3D35.jpg

I picked up my G42 about a month ago and it's still unshot, I'm actually looking forward to taking this out the next time I have a chance to hit the range.

I am NOT trying to talk ANYONE into selling their G42, but the fact that it didn't fit me at all, PLUS the size and caliber G42 ( 7 rounds of .380 ) compared to a Sig P938 ( 8 rounds of 9mm ) .

Glock G42 ..... Sig P938
Length 5.94 ... Sig 5.9
Width .94 ..... Sig 1.1
Height 4.13 ... Sig 3.9
oz.'s 13.76 ..... Sig 16.00

Sig is smaller in 2 categories, G42 in 1 and it weighs less. To me tho', the size and weight are so close it's a wash, but I'd sure rather have those 8 rounds of 9mm vs. just 7 rounds of .380 if I'm ever in need to start shootin' !
Again, not trying to sway anyone into the Sig camp or justify my purchase over yours, I owned a G42 and a bunch of other Glocks, just sharing my thoughts.

I am NOT trying to talk ANYONE into selling their G42, but the fact that it didn't fit me at all, PLUS the size and caliber G42 ( 7 rounds of .380 ) compared to a Sig P938 ( 8 rounds of 9mm ) .

Glock G42 ..... Sig P938
Length 5.94 ... Sig 5.9
Width .94 ..... Sig 1.1
Height 4.13 ... Sig 3.9
oz.'s 13.76 ..... Sig 16.00

Sig is smaller in 2 categories, G42 in 1 and it weighs less. To me tho', the size and weight are so close it's a wash, but I'd sure rather have those 8 rounds of 9mm vs. just 7 rounds of .380 if I'm ever in need to start shootin' !
Again, not trying to sway anyone into the Sig camp or justify my purchase over yours, I owned a G42 and a bunch of other Glocks, just sharing my thoughts.

A huge factor for me is also consistency with my defensive guns which is some type of 9mm Glock. My G42 is for occasional carry when my G19 is too big for whatever reason. The Sig P938 is a good gun but is similar to a 1911 in configuration which I don't want to train for.

I will start by saying that I abhor anything Glock. Yes, I will not dispute that they are reliable and tough but so are lots of other guns and they fit my hand and give me confidence to hit my target. The G42 is a great size....... for a 9mm!!!!!! When you go to look at that G42 take a look at the SIg 938, Springfield Armory XDs or (my favorite) the S&W Shield. For the same size as the G42 you can have a 9MM. My normal CCW setup is a Shield 9MM, S&W 342 in 38 special (titanium/scandium), Surefire Backup and a Kershaw Blur. I just added a BG380 (no laser) to my cadre and couldn't be happier. Twelve rounds in a USPSA upper A zone at 10 yards, aimed but not slow fired confirm it can do exactly what it is here for.

Owning both the XDs and G42 I can say that I could easily pocket carry a G42 but not the size and weight of the XDs nor the Shield. The Glock 42 is not tiny like a Bodyguard or LCP but are much nicer shooting and using overall.

I've owned 9mm pistols this size (Kahr P9 and two PM9s) and while the PM9s were decent little pistols they still weren't Glocks. I have no visions of grandeur about Glock pistols, they simply are what they are and in my experience that is accurate and reliable. The bottom line for me is that I am issued a Glock pistol and I learned many years ago the benefits of sticking with one system. I've long since liquidated my 1911s, Sig, H&Ks, M&P and most recently my S&W 342 M&P, several of those I was more accurate with than with my Glock pistols. There are smaller and lighter .380 pistols on the market and they are plenty accurate to get the job done but they do not have the grip angle and trigger pull of the Glock that I carry daily so they are not an option. For its intended purpose I have no complaints and the 42, it's a nice shooting pistol and allows me a much smaller option to any of the other Glock pistols currently being produced.

I really like mine. I bought one more for novelty than anything else but after shooting it, I found I really like it. It is easy to shoot, accurate enough and easy to carry. I just wish it were in 9mm rather than 380 and when the 9mm shows up I will be sure to grab one.

I was looking really hard at getting a G42. I do not care for Glocks much at all (just personal preference) but this one felt pretty natural in my hand. At my local Cabela's I laid a G42 on top of a M&P Shield and found that there wasn't much difference at all in size. Of course, the Shield is a 9mm. The major appeal of this class of pistol (to me) is ease of carry and simplicity of operation. All things considered, I think the Shield is a better package.

To each his own, I will never argue with a man about HIS choice in weaponry. I understand sticking with a platform you're used to shooting, familiarity is a good thing. I understand shooting what fits your hand.
But if I can carry a 9mm that's the same size as a .380, for me, no brainer. I love my Sig P9238 , but if I ever find a gun that fits my hand better I'll own/carry it in a heartbeat.