• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up a new AR10... What do you think and suggestions?

Howie Feltersnatch

Deep in my Plums.
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2007
Largo, FL.
Just brought her home tonight. Buddy hooked me up. Paid $1400. Good deal?

I'm just a civvie that enjoys shooting at range every now and then. Not going into battle, and not doing any competitions with this gun.

Ar10 20"
Burris xtr 156
Larue rings
YHM 2nd gen BUIS Set
PRI gas buster CH
MOE Grip
2 stage trigger
Slash XH buffer
Enhanced trigger guard
Troy 13" rail
Adjustable gas block
Comp (not sure what kind)
11 mags (9 2nd gen 20-25 rounders and 2 10 rounders)

kg8x.jpg

So my "upgrades" that I'd like to do are as follows...

Barrel- My last AR10 had a Noveske and it shot lights out. I didn't like how heavy it was. I was thinking about saving a few bucks if possible, and can't decide if I want 20" or 18". I remember watching Frank do shots with an 18" out to 1000 yards and doing rather well with it. So I guess it'd make sense to get an 18" and save weight? Rainier? Black Hole? Any other match grade barrels that are cheaper than Noveske?

Scope- Always been a Nightforce guy. Strictly as a Civilian shooter I think Nightforce is all I need. I really want to spring for a USO but I think the cost/benefit ratio is a minimal, at that point, for me. Are there scopes that are in like quality to a NF but cheaper and considered rugged? I don't necessarily need to pound nails with it like Jeff does in his videos, but would be nice in case I ever need to...haha.

Scope Mount- Either KAC or NF 1 piece.

Sights- KAC 45* sights. Maybe surefire?

Rail- The MRF I have on here is as heavy as a fothermucker. I really like the SWS rail. Is it worth the weight savings to invest in another rail. I know it's like 10 ounces lighter. Any other suggestions?

Sling- No idea. Suggestions?

Bipod- Always have had a Harris but I know there are other good brands? What would be the best?

For a good bipod I would suggest an Atlas Bipod. Some like the GG&G Extreme HD Bipod but the one I have is to heavy for my liking. I like Tab Gear Slings and the SWS quad rail and have one on my AR 10A4. Is it cost effective? If it were my rifle and had a piece of gear that i wasn't happy with I would replace it and try to sell the old rail off. I also favor the NightForce scope line.
My go to sights are Troy's. For a scope mount there are a lot of good ones. I have used and been satisfied with LaRue, ADM and have used the Burris PEPR fixed mounts with good results. Additionally you got a great deal on your Armalite.

Last edited:
Looks like you got a great deal...and your sig video is hilarious.

Yep, got a steal of a deal, and i laughed out loud watching the sig video. ;)

If you are looking for a real robust scope that is cheaper than the Nightforces, maybe look at the SWFA variables. Nice rifle!

Thanks for all the input so far guys! I love the video! I've had it up since I joined. Help yourself too it. It couldn't be any more appropriate for this site!!

For a good bipod I would suggest an Atlas Bipod. Some like the GG&G Extreme HD Bipod but the one I have is to heavy for my liking. I like Tab Gear Slings and the SWS quad rail and have one on my AR 10A4. Is it cost effective? If it were my rifle and had a piece of gear that i wasn't happy with I would replace it and try to sell the old rail off. I also favor the NightForce scope line.
My go to sights are Troy's. For a scope mount there are a lot of good ones. I have used and been satisfied with LaRue, ADM and have used the Burris PEPR fixed mounts with good results. Additionally you got a great deal on your Armalite.

Thanks for the input. I couldn't think of the other brand of bipod off the top of my head yesterday, and it was an Atlas. I'm going to look into this one. I believe there's a Tango Down one as well??? If the GGG one is too heavy for you, then I definitely won't entertain it. The more I read up on the SWS rail system the more I'm liking it, plus with how light it is I don't think I could go wrong. The Troy is a great rail, but it just adds some much extra weight up front.

The BUIS's I was thinking I want to go with the 45* flavor. The reason I want to do this is so I can mount the scope as low as possible to the rail to be closer to the bore. Furthermore, I wouldn't have to worry about getting an adjustable stock (save money and weight there). Are there any other slim line sights out there similar to the KAC? I know there are cost effective irons, but they are big and bulky. I'll look into the sling. I think all I'd need is a solid 2 point sling.

Yep, got a steal of a deal, and i laughed out loud watching the sig video. ;)

If you are looking for a real robust scope that is cheaper than the Nightforces, maybe look at the SWFA variables. Nice rifle!

I was actually just looking at those yesterday. They have come a long way since the old Tasco ones. Do the HD ones really offer that much more clarity over the standard ones!

Barrel- My last AR10 had a Noveske and it shot lights out. I didn't like how heavy it was. I was thinking about saving a few bucks if possible, and can't decide if I want 20" or 18". I remember watching Frank do shots with an 18" out to 1000 yards and doing rather well with it. So I guess it'd make sense to get an 18" and save weight? Rainier? Black Hole? Any other match grade barrels that are cheaper than Noveske?

Scope- Always been a Nightforce guy. Strictly as a Civilian shooter I think Nightforce is all I need. I really want to spring for a USO but I think the cost/benefit ratio is a minimal, at that point, for me. Are there scopes that are in like quality to a NF but cheaper and considered rugged? I don't necessarily need to pound nails with it like Jeff does in his videos, but would be nice in case I ever need to...haha.

Rail- The MRF I have on here is as heavy as a fothermucker. I really like the SWS rail. Is it worth the weight savings to invest in another rail. I know it's like 10 ounces lighter. Any other suggestions?

Bipod- Always have had a Harris but I know there are other good brands? What would be the best?

A) What's wrong with the one already installed? Have you shot it and not liked it or do you just want another barrel? If it shoots well for your intended purpose then I would save the $300-$400 for a new barrel and put that towards a scope, different rail of your liking, scope mount, bipod etc...

B) Check out Vortex PST line. I have the 4-16 and its a very quality scope for the price. You should check out the 6-24 PST and there are a ton for sale here at great prices. Check out the Bushnell XRS and ERS lines. Also SWFA HD. Look in the group buy section because there are some group buys on Steiner scopes and I think I saw one for Premier. Either way look in the group buy section.

C) Whats wrong with the rings you have now? LaRue makes very good stuff but if you're wanting a one piece then take a look at GG&G. I have their QD one piece mount on my AR and its built like a tank. It doesn't mar the rail when securing the latch and its repeatable to zero. I switch mine between two AR's and I know where the zero is for both. I latch it on, set it to the zero for that rifle and its dead on. Its also much less expensive than some of the other brands.

D) Will you really use them? I had sights on my rifles because I thought was going to use them but I never did so then they were there just for look. I later sold them. If you're going to use yours then hell, there are so many good brands out there you can't go wrong with a solid company.

E) This is something that I agree has to have not only functional value but needs to be aesthetically pleasing to you. 10 ounces depends on you and your body frame. If you want weight savings then yes, any bit will help. Plus you can sell the existing rail and not have to spend too much on a new one of your liking.

F) I can't help here because I don't own one.

G) What's wrong with your Harris? Is it the swivel model? If not then I can see upgrading to one. Otherwise Harris is an amazing Bipod. If you're looking for QD then there are 3 companies that come to mind which have an adapter.

1. GG&G - $62 with free shipping and its 25% off already. I have one and its made extremely well.
2. Larue - $85
3. American Defense - $71.50

Atlas are also amazing bipods but pricey. Tango Down makes bipods, GG&G etc... Most people I see using a bipod are Harris and Atlas. I had an Atlas when I had my AICS chassis but sold it when I sold my AICS and bought another Harris with the GG&G QD mount.

There are definitely ways to save a lot of money if you're truly interested in doing so.

Last edited:
1. Its a MEH deal. Replace the junk rings, rail, BUIS (you dont need them), Trigger (depending on which). I would not have paid $1400, but its not a horrible deal depending on componets.
2. NF > USO, unless you want some freaky combination of features... For the $1000-$2000 price range, there are better options than the NXS such as XRS/ERS/DMR , SS 5-20, Razor, Stiener and a some used items.
3. No reason to waste money on KAC or NF for a mount. Get a badger 1 piece for around $180. Every bit as good and light.
4. Any rail but troy. They are anti-gun and hire murderes and anti-gun crusaders. There are not many AR10 frame rails out there, and they are COSTLY. Someone is coming out with a high quality 10 rail, cant remmeber but it will be worth the wait.
5. BUIS are pointless on this type of weapon. If you HAVE to have them, get something like the KAC45 that are small and out of the way... they are also usable without taking off the mount. You pay to play.
6. Ditch the Harris and get a real Bipod (atlas) with QD. Take if off when you dont need it to save weight.

Also, like said before, shoot the barrel. It may shoot well. If your going to go through the hassle of getting a new barrel, dont skimp on shit like Rainer. Get a Krieger/Bartlien or similar. If you don't need that, then you don't need to switch barrels unless you want a different chambering (6.5/.260/.243/ect).

I have a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a custom turret which is dead nuts accurate at all ranges. My buddy has a NF that costs about $2000. The NF glass is sharper, but other than that I don't think there is any other difference except $1000 in price. I have it on my "Built" Savage bolt hunting rifle which is a really good shooter. It is a 6mm Norma BR. I'm able to hold the reticule good enough to group way less than 1/2" at 200 yds. and less than 2" at 400 yds. If your AR is a good shooter the Vortex PST will help you shoot as accurate as the NF IMHO.

Attachments

• 200 yd.target .JPG
    200 yd.target .JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 400 yd target.jpg
    400 yd target.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a custom turret which is dead nuts accurate at all ranges. My buddy has a NF that costs about $2000. The NF glass is sharper, but other than that I don't think there is any other difference except $1000 in price. I have it on my "Built" Savage bolt hunting rifle which is a really good shooter. It is a 6mm Norma BR. I'm able to hold the reticule good enough to group way less than 1/2" at 200 yds. and less than 2" at 400 yds. If your AR is a good shooter the Vortex PST will help you shoot as accurate as the NF IMHO.

I've been doing tons of research on the SS HD scopes. I also can't decide on fixed vs variable but it seems with technology these days the variables are the best option.

SWFA 5-20, harris bipod, ar gold trigger, magpul stock, forend skid plate, TAB sling, Krieger barrel. I have had good experiences with these products. I have the moe grip also and put the largest insert on the backstrap for better finger placement on the trigger. Shoot it before changing barrels. If it is a solid moa shooter then that is all you need. Would stick with 20 inch barrel and rifle length gas system. No frills, just think about the fundamentals of marksmanship and what products assist in proper mechanics. Spend the rest of money on ammo. With an adjustable gas block I'm not sure if you need the heavy buffer. Let us know how it shoots.

Love the sig video, it IS laugh out loud stuff there!

Never understand why people buy something and then dump $$ into changing it up.
With the cost of the upgrades and original purchase price you could have built exactly what you wanted.

Love the sig video, it IS laugh out loud stuff there!

Never understand why people buy something and then dump $$ into changing it up.
With the cost of the upgrades and original purchase price you could have built exactly what you wanted.

I would always recommend building your own when it comes to AR's