• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up a new rig today!

Btillr

Super Trooper
Minuteman
  • Mar 20, 2011
    Va
    So I got tired of the fiance always saying she didn't have her gun to shoot. So we went to town I found a pretty good deal on a Colt .22lr AR, she looked it over and decided she liked it. So we brought it home and much to my suprise its a real shooter, and she is quite the shot herself. I've already decided Im going to put a red dot of some sort on it for her, but I'm kinda stumped with the front sight. Is it going to be in the way once I put a red dot on it? Ive always had bolt guns and the ARs that Ive built have been all flat tops, so the the front sight is new to me.

colt22.jpg

Re: Picked up a new rig today!

You can get red dot sights to co-witness with the irons, or ride up a little high. Either way, it is really what works best for the shooter.

I prefer to have the dot co-witness with the irons, that way I don't have to worry about changing my check weld. Just makes it faster for me.

DK

A shooting buddy of mine has one of these. It is a fun shooting little gun. I agree, get something that will co-witness with the irons. You will not be sorry.

Congrats on a gf that will shoot with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get red dot sights to co-witness with the irons, or ride up a little high. Either way, it is really what works best for the shooter.

I prefer to have the dot co-witness with the irons, that way I don't have to worry about changing my check weld. Just makes it faster for me.

DK </div></div>

I'm not sure what your talking about co-witness, but I would imagine you talking about using the red dot and having it with the front sight post in the dot? Ive looked at it a little harder and I think i might be able to remove the front sight, as its not a gas block from what I can see. Maybe someone thats had one for more then 2hrs will chime in.

I would not remove the front sight post at all!!

You are correct in your thinking, the dot will sit right at the top of the post, and hover in the middle of the rear sight. That will make it to where your natural point of aim will remain the same, and it won't shut you down if the dot fails.

DK

That would work for me, and granted I will be shooting it a bit, I do have to keep her in mind, And I dont think that she would Like that. As I sit here and think about it a bit, she would enjoy a 1-4 scope far more then a red dot, It would make it that much more like my varmint rig. I just need to see about get the front sight off before I make anymore moves

Congrats Btillr

Great guns and we have fired about 2,500 rounds through mine. I opted for the red dot and my wife shoots it just fine. You can smack coke (soda/pop for you that are non-southern) cans at 25-50 yards as fast as you can get on them.

The only issue I have with mine is tryng to shoot "cheap" bulk ammo. Mine does not like it. About 25 rounds of bulk stuff and it stops functioning because of "crude" build up around bolt and chamber. Shoot the good stuff in it and I can go through 200 rounds or so before I need to stop and give it a cleaning.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aquatic_Robotic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats Btillr

Great guns and we have fired about 2,500 rounds through mine. I opted for the red dot and my wife shoots it just fine. You can smack coke (soda/pop for you that are non-southern) cans at 25-50 yards as fast as you can get on them.

The only issue I have with mine is tryng to shoot "cheap" bulk ammo. Mine does not like it. About 25 rounds of bulk stuff and it stops functioning because of "crude" build up around bolt and chamber. Shoot the good stuff in it and I can go through 200 rounds or so before I need to stop and give it a cleaning.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it. </div></div>

I got mine used so I had no manual. After a quick google search I found the manual and found that when shooting "cheap" ammo that you should slow the bolt cycle down by taking the takedown pin out and turning the the allen screw at the top just below the charging handle counter clockwise, and when shooting quality ammo increase the speed by turning it clockwise. Also I took the glass of one of my other AR builds ,removed the rear sight on the .22 , and mounted the glass on the .22 to find the glass just as clear as ever and no signs of the sight post. I imagine that its far to close to focus on and lets you look clear past it! Anyhow Ive figured out that you cant take the front a2 sight off and will move my question to the optics forum now that I have a question directly related to optics

I read that and tried it, but I did not see that it made any difference. I got mine out tonight and realized there is much more adjustment there than I had previously thought. Next time I take it out I will give the screw a full counter clockwise turn, maybe even two and see if that helps.

Thanks for reminding me of that adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aquatic_Robotic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read that and tried it, but I did not see that it made any difference. I got mine out tonight and realized there is much more adjustment there than I had previously thought. Next time I take it out I will give the screw a full counter clockwise turn, maybe even two and see if that helps.

Thanks for reminding me of that adjustment. </div></div>

Not a problem , thats what we are here for! I had a few jams today so I tuned it down, maybe I will find out if it works tomorrow

LMK I will be interested to see how it works for you.

I just stop shooting cheapo ammo through mine and its fine, but I would prefer to shoot cheaper since it is basically just a "can killer".