• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up a new toy.

bignazpwns

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2019
Long time lerker first time poster.

Long range shooting for me is something I do alone. It's my me time. But that requires a long drive from where I live. So I don't get as much time as I would like since you need a bit of room with a .338 LM. But I have shot it in doors at a 20 yard range for s's and g's.

I been looking to get into some .22lr shooting. 100 yards and maybe some fun competitions. I looked at some savages, Ruger PRF's and what not but the only real ones that cought my eye under $1,000 were the CZ 452/455. But it was one of those things do I really need it for $499. So on the Saturday I went to the local gun shop and they had a CZ455 Tacticalcool for $375. Then they say it's $325. So I picked it up took it home pretty happy with it. Swapped out trigger springs with one I had laying around and dropped the trigger pull a bit. Zero creep and overtravel. For a stock trigger it's pretty nice. So I started smoothing everything out getting it ready for the list of things I got planned for it over the winter to get it ready for some spring shooting.

Little curious about how it will shoot but judging off the test target it should be a good shooter since these targets are for function not grouping.

Definitely happy with the 455 and for the price $325 this was a pretty good deal.

Attachments

• 20191202_203644.jpg
    20191202_203644.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 149
Grats to you.

I love my 455. Shoots very well with a plethora of ammo types. I am leaving mine completely stock by choice. Love the more classic feel with a touch of modern.

Anyways, enjoy :)

Grats to you.

I love my 455. Shoots very well with a plethora of ammo types. I am leaving mine completely stock by choice. Love the more classic feel with a touch of modern.

Anyways, enjoy :)

I would not mind a classic walnut 455. They look great and the quality of the walnut looks great for this price point. Out of the box it's a great little rifle. You really don't need to change anything to go out have fun and be competitive.

If I like small note I'll definitely pick up a high-end bolt action but I'll still use this 455 for some shoots. I can see why it has a fallowing and why people like them.

Reactions: OldSalty
So did some work.

Polished up some areas on the bolt and got that nice and smooth.

3d printed a bolt disassembly tool and a single shot magazine for breach loading.

Lighted the trigger. Should I'm guessing we'll under 1lb. I need to get my gage back but my finger says it's under a lb. I'll confirm this when I get my gage back from my friend. This will be a dedicated target rifle so not worried about it being too light.

Lighted the striker spring. Action is nice and smooth and very light compared to stock. First try ran about 50 federals that I pulled the bulls out of. All primers went off. CCI nothing. So changed the spring and retested and all the federal went off as well as the cci. Strikes looks a little on the light side but should be fine. Looks similar to some other .22's I shot. but if I run into issues I have another spring that will fix that. Safety still works and is now much easier to work.

So I'm going to build this into a 100 yard rifle. Not going to go crazy into it ill keep it a modest build but it's just for some fun 50 yard competitions and poping Clay's at 100 yards.

Bipod I don't know. I have a Harris but considering a Sinclair F-Class. Probably just slap on the Harris and call it a day.

Scope. I got a spare Leupold Mark 4 LR/T I'll probably just toss on. I know it's a bit much for this but I got it and I'm not using. Still deciding on a mount.

Pillar and bedding soon. I'll be machineing up the pilars and doing all that this winter.

Hydo dip multicam? I wanna try dipping so figured why not. Maybe A-tacs or something like that. If I cant dip it I'll probably just paint it. I got a cutter to make my stencils. Probably won't use ceracoat some last time I did that it was extremely expensive and time consuming for multicam. Probably just clear coat it with ceracoat after I dip or paint. Not worried about durability since this is going to be a "precision" rifle. It's going to be treated like an egg with a crack like I do ally precision rifles.

Pretty happy with it. Excellent little rifle out of the box and with a few hours and some stuff most people probably already have you can really enhance it.

Reactions: 1911Operator
Nothing like picking up a new toy. I picked up a NIB CZ 452 American today myself. I thought CZ discontinued these several years ago but the test target was shot in 2018.

Good luck to the OP and his new toy, they are fun to play with.

$200 is more then I wanna put it for a trigger on this. How my trigger is now it's fine. If I want it any lower I got a full machine shop I can machine my own up. They looks nice but Ill stick with stock for now then I'll probably just do my own trigger.

Self taught lol. Working late nothing to do went to the machine shop and started making stuff. In terms of creep and overtravel my factory trigger is about as good as it can be. Going to tune it a little more but it's great now since I got it down less then a 1lb.

I think this was worth the wait. Feels like I got a really nice one. I'm going to make a 10 rounder and 3d print the mag body and falower. I got a sla printer so it's pretty good for stuff like that.

Did more polishing. Down to a 1um diamond lapping compound. At work we got compounds all the way down to 0.025um so this action will be pure butter. I gotta make this project last to atleast March lol.

Reactions: carbonbased
Trying to decide on what kind of camo I should go with. Probably going to dip this one. Figured it should not be to hard to do. Next week I'm going to work on the pilars. And get that all squared away.

Ammo I got some federal hv match on hand but I'm going to order a bunch of different stuff to check out how they group when I test it. I'm thinking RWS might be one of the ones this rifle likes based on the test target. But who know. It will be a long day that day.

I really need to get my trigger pull gage back from my friend. I'm guessing the trigger is 6-8oz right now.

First CZ. But I must say I'll definitely be looking into more cz's.

Reactions: reichco457
Got bored at work today so I drew up a scope mount. Going to see how 3d printing it goes lol. This is a high-end SLA printer so not a hobby one.

Print it at 20um layer height. Dimensional accuracy is +/- .01mm so it should be ok. Resin is pretty strong and stuff. Definitely won't be permanent for the rifle but I'm bored and figured out I would try it out and if it works good for plinking toss it online. We got a lapping machine at work so I'll be lapping pretty much everything.

Ordered the film. Went with multicam. $80 40" X 120" . Licensed so little on the expensive side but looks great.

That's what I was hoping it was. What is the barrel length?

I said I wouldn't do this but I bought a NIB 457 Scout model last night for $314 shipped. My intentions are to turn it into something similar to yours and right now Anarchy Outdoors has that exact chassis for $768 shipped. Area 419 has Bartlein barrels for $495 shipped. I am surprised they use the Benz chamber though, which IMO is not optimal for a bolt gun. That's the expensive route, the cheaper route is the MDT LSS-RF chassis from Anarchy for $362 shipped + $40 for a grip and roughly $175 for an adjustable buttstock and tube. The MPA would be roughly $200 more, which may be worth it in the end. Barrel on the cheap would be a Lothar-Walther for $300+shipping. So high side is $1,263 and low side is roughly $892.

I wish I could stop this madness, guns and shooting are like drugs, so addictive. For one reason or another I haven't shot anything in 3 days and last night I told my wife of 32 years I am starting to have withdrawal symptoms. This sounds like a joke but I'm being serious.

Reactions: 1911Operator
That's what I was hoping it was. What is the barrel length?

I said I wouldn't do this but I bought a NIB 457 Scout model last night for $314 shipped. My intentions are to turn it into something similar to yours and right now Anarchy Outdoors has that exact chassis for $768 shipped. Area 419 has Bartlein barrels for $495 shipped. I am surprised they use the Benz chamber though, which IMO is not optimal for a bolt gun. That's the expensive route, the cheaper route is the MDT LSS-RF chassis from Anarchy for $362 shipped + $40 for a grip and roughly $175 for an adjustable buttstock and tube. The MPA would be roughly $200 more, which may be worth it in the end. Barrel on the cheap would be a Lothar-Walther for $300+shipping. So high side is $1,263 and low side is roughly $892.

I wish I could stop this madness, guns and shooting are like drugs, so addictive. For one reason or another I haven't shot anything in 3 days and last night I told my wife of 32 years I am starting to have withdrawal symptoms. This sounds like a joke but I'm being serious.
HaHaHa.. I see that Area 419 has the sale going this weekend..I'm having a hard time spending $500 on a barrel for my 457.. The 16.5" barrel I have, shoots well and I don't know how much better it would be with the Bartlein.. I was looking at the 457 Scout also..GAG has them for $318, and "IF" I did get the barrel from 419, I would use the Scout as a donor and put my Pro Varmint back together.. Not sure what I will do, but I totally understand your madness !!

My Scout come from Centerfire Guns. Next week I will talk to Lothar Walther and find out chamber they use. IBI would be a choice but I want a threaded barrel.

My Scout come from Centerfire Guns. Next week I will talk to Lothar Walther and find out chamber they use. IBI would be a choice but I want a threaded barrel.
let me know what you find out.. I may be interested in another brand of barrel other than the Bartlein.. but I'll probably order it anyways

Last edited:
I checked again, looks like they are in Montana, not Canada.
Ah oops. Sorry. Mystic precision was offering McGowan so I thought it would work. IBI threads their center fire barrels since they support PRS shooters. Not sure why they don't just thread their rimfire barrels.

I met a MDT and IBI sponsored shooter at my yesterday NRL22 match.

What barrel are you looking at KOD ?? Lothar Walther is in Georgia.. I think I'm going to order the 419 Bartlein barrel tomorrow
Was looking at their 457 barrel. I noticed Walther is now offering a barrel for the Tikka T1x. I'm not sure about the Bartlein barrel, $500 is still a lot of money. I'll probably take my chances with the Walther barrel and save $200.

Ah oops. Sorry. Mystic precision was offering McGowan so I thought it would work. IBI threads their center fire barrels since they support PRS shooters. Not sure why they don't just thread their rimfire barrels.

I met a MDT and IBI sponsored shooter at my yesterday NRL22 match.
What conversation did you have with the sponsored shooters?

What conversation did you have with the sponsored shooters?

Not too much of a conversation. I was shooting pretty well yesterday and he asked what I was shooting, and I said a Tikka T1X with an IBI, and he was like oh nice I'm sponsored by IBI, you know Ryan? And we chit chatted about it for a bit. I later looked him up on Google.
and he's sponsored by Sawtooth, MDT, and IBI, and Nightforce. His IBI barrel is for his PRS rifle in 6 dasher, threaded with a brake. Deviant action, MDT ACC chassis, Nightforce 7-35.

For NRL22, he mainly shot a V22 in MDT chassis.

New MDT chassis for 2020 coming out at Shot Show, brand new design, I'm curious what that is. He's waiting on that chassis for a new build.

Yeah, can't wait to see is coming out for 2020 from everyone. Seems like there has never been a better time to shoot firearms in general.

Talked to Lothar-Walther today. All of their 22 LR barrels are chambered with a JGS Match reamer. John, guy from Walther, told me it was tighter in diameter and length than the Benz "which is what Bartlein uses" but not as tight as say the Win 52D or Eley EPS. He ensured me the bullet will seat into the rifling. I bought one today so we will see how it all does in about a week. I took advantage of Anarchy Outdoor sale and got the MPA Comp BA chassis in Gunmetal for the 457 also. Another note about Walther is in January they should be ready to ship the 17 HM2 barrel for the Tikka.