• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up a rem 700, need opinions.

Blackout

Private
Minuteman
I finally broke down and ordered an SPS Tactical in .308 with the hogue stock. It should be here tomorrow. I've got a lot planned for this rifle, but not everything will happen immediately due to funds. The plan is to do a semi-similar build to an M40A3, but not to strict. Anyhow...

Right now I'm trying to prioritize my purchases and I am wondering what other people think of the "stock" 20" barrel.

I want to knock out the stock and optics first, but I might get it blueprinted and barreled first depending on feedback. I know it is hard to determine a barrels capability until you get all the other variables squared away, so any opinions are welcome.

The barrel will almost for sure be changed out eventually, but as stated... I need to plan when.

Re: Picked up a rem 700, need opinions.

I personally think you should shoot the rifle just how it is first. Then if it will shoot well, (very likely) start working on the other piece, and keep shooting the current barrel, then by the time you wear this barrel out and it is time for a rebarrel, you should have a good start to all the M40A3 parts you are wanting...

Dave

Get the stock and mag system first, those will make the rifle immediately better and you can use them for your final build.

If you rebarrel now you'll simply be putting a great rifle into a crappy stock and it may still not shoot. I'd go in this order.

Base/rings and an okay scope....you need those to shoot it anyway.

Then stock/mag system.

Then upgrade scope.

Then barrel/true/etc etc for spec build.

I would probably upgrade the stock first, then work on the optics. Leave the barreled action until you need to change the barrel, then get the action blueprinted at the time of the new barrel install.

Definitely stock first before you work up your load and find out that you may have to repeat it (Ah been there done that!!). Then get the scope. It would be nice to have the DBM right away, but remember you can still load up to 4 rounds +1 in the chamber. JMHO

Thanks for the input. You guys always deliver!

First thing I will be doing is machining a new bolt knob. Aside from a temporary scope, I will be calling McMillan first.

That's a sub moa rifle out of the box I would trust saying it's capable of making a 700yrd kill rite now like it is.but the first thing you need to do is put the jewel trigger in that beast then Look on gun broker and see if you can find a mcmillan stock for it . I kinda doubt it but it's possible. Then maybe a nf 3.5 x 15 x 50.and on down tha road after bout a thousand rounds re barrel it and blue print that bad boy.

Get decent optics and then just spend your money on ammo.

I have the same rifle and it shoots great out of the box. it will shoot .40 inch all day with 168 smk and 44.5 gr. of varget. yesterday I shot a .40 inch group with hornady tap 168 gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunnut105</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get decent optics and then just spend your money on ammo. </div></div>

There is nothing, nothing like trigger time. If you want to shoot accuratly after you spend $$ on a good scope then:
1. Reloader if you dont have one.
2. Good binoculars if you don't have them.
3. Spotting scope if you don't have one.

Lots of shooting.After 1000 rounds down the barrel you'd be surprised how well a stock begins to fit.

I mention the items above because you mention priorites in how you are buying your upgrades. That's a very nice rifle and lessor rifles will outshoot most of the mega-buck shooting machines on this site with the right shooter behind the trigger.

I would put a few hundred rounds through the stock gun before I started replacing parts. It might be good enough as is. Although Remington puts out some very good barrels and some that arent so good.

Amen. Why buy a complete rifle if all you want is the action? Shoot it as is. Shoot it some more. Then assess what it is you want and need.

Spend only what you can afford. Always.

I've shot one with the hogue stock before and didn't care for it. Originally I was going to get a basic SPS as a donor rifle, but my thoughts were that I wouldn't be able to afford all of it at once so if I got the SPS with the better barrel and Xmark trigger I'd still have something good until it swapped out.

If I didn't want the McMillan stock so bad, I would have went with an LTR instead.

Buying 700 action costs as much as what my cost is on the SPS and I can't shoot it when I get it ;-)

You may want to get your new stock inlet for the barrel contour you will be going with when you rebarrel.... Will save you from having to have it redone afterwards & although you may have alot of extra space in the BC with the stock barrel, at least it will be completely floated!!!

I was wrong about when it was going to come in. Usually they ship everything 1 or 2 day, but I guess not. The day I finally said, it will get here when it gets here... it showed up ;-)

What all companies make a 20 MOA base besides badger and USO? Right now I am going to toss a Millet I had sitting around on it until I can sneak the USO past the wife. So my question is, will there be any issues using the Millet on the 20 MOA base? I'd rather not buy a normal base just to purchase the 20 MOA one later.

Another quick one, what is the thread pitch for the bolt knobs? 5/16 x ?? Now I just need to figure out work holding for this bolt.

I'm new to long range shooting, and opinions are like a**holes...so take this with more than a grain of salt (like maybe a pound of salt)

Only reason I'm chiming in is I'm in the same boat, and I'd love to get feedback from veterans.

Here's how I prioritized my spend:

1) Good glass and base/ring combo (IOR, Leupold...Nightforce or US Optics if you can stretch yourself - you'll probably be glad you did in the long run) I went with IOR, very happy with it...but jealous of friend's Nightforce.

Also went with Farrell 20MOA base and Burris XTreme Tactical rings - seemed to have good feedback and were about 1/2 the price of Badger (which I probably should have gotten)

2) Reloading equipment (so you can shoot quality loads a lot without ruining your chances of saving up for the next build stage) - that or find a friend with reloading geat that'll teach you and let you use it for beer & pizza...my option for now.

3) Upgrade & professionally tune the trigger - yet to be done

4) Stock & professional bedding job - yet to be done

5) Upgrade the barrell only after you've shot it out - yet to be done...but actively working on it.