• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up a Rem 700 Police in .223

okangshooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Dont have a decent spare scope so I have a Simmons 44 mag 3x9 on it right now. I haven't had a chance to sight it in or group it. Sports world in Tulsa said it was a dealer demo gun.

What can I expect from it group size with Fed 55 gr FMJs? Muzzle velocity?

It has a injected molded green plastic stock, no aluminum bedding block. I haven't been able to find any pics of one like it. The stock has black inset rubber grips on forend and grip. Wondering how it will shoot with no bedding block.

Has a 26" bull barrel.

Re: Picked up a Rem 700 Police in .223

Can't speak for the P but I have a 5r in 223 and with federal 55 I get 1.0-1.5 ish range with 69 hpbt hand loads I get .5 Ish . and yes ish is a technical unit of measure when ur away from your micrometer. The P is a great gun gonna do one in 308 myself I am sure u will love it in 223

1-12 usually handles up to 60 grain.

That's what the 1-12 twist was intended for in the first place, it stabilizes it just enough but when it hits it's target it tumbles and creates devastating wound channels.

Try out a couple, my Remington 700 PSS in .223 shoots 69 SMK into about 1 1/4 MOA, but the 52 SMK into .5 MOA.

I think it is supposed to have a 1/9 twist, but mine has a 1/12.

Experiment and have fun...let us know how it works out.

If you have a 1-12; give Hornady 40gr Vmax a try and their 53gr Match, also from Black Hills 52gr Match Hollow Point. American Eagle has a 50gr FBHP that’s priced right and fairly accurate too.
If you have a 1-9; I’ve had good results with both Federal Gold Medal match 69 & 77gr. Hornady makes a 75gr match that’s quite good too.

Should be 1/9 I believe. Going to try it out this morning. I have 55 gr fmj feds and Hornady 53 gr. Sounds like I need a heavier bullet but we'll see.

If its a 1:9 the 69gr SMK's will be ideally suited. It should still shoot anything in the 50gr range ok too.

You haven't found any pic like it because you're looking for a P, whatever it is you have is in an SPS stock.
55gr FMJs while cheap rarely give very good accuracy, and can vary dramatically from lot to lot. Fine for short range or high volume practice, but if you really want to know what you and the rifle can do try something else. 1/12 55gr or less, 1/9 52gr or more, don't be surprised if it doesn't like anything over 69gr. If you're shooting inside 300yds flat base varmint bullets often give fantastic results.

I just realized that beef. It appears just like the SPS to me. The box I have says Police on it. I'm wondering if they just gave me that box and charged me for the P?? The butt stock is craked above the recoil pad, the sales guy said they would order me a new one. If it IS a SPS then they over charged me for sure!

Will look at serial numbers tomorrow. Is the only difference between the two the stock? Gun shoots really well with the 53 grain Vmax and the SPS stock.

Serial number matches. It looks like someone helped themselves to the original stock. We'll see what the store does.

Be sure and check the twist. SPS is 1:12. P is 1:9. What one is paying for in a "P" over a "SPS" is the faster twist barrel and the upgraded stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be sure and check the twist. SPS is 1:12. P is 1:9. What one is paying for in a "P" over a "SPS" is the faster twist barrel and the upgraded stock. </div></div>

I just bought an SPS with a 9 twist barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lessthanfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">55 may be too heavy if its a 1/12 twist </div></div>

Apparently you've never seen an M16A1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what the 1-12 twist was intended for in the first place, it stabilizes it just enough but when it hits it's target it tumbles and creates devastating wound channels. </div></div>

Actually the original M16 was 1 in 14, not 1 in 12.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be sure and check the twist. SPS is 1:12. P is 1:9. What one is paying for in a "P" over a "SPS" is the faster twist barrel and the upgraded stock. </div></div>

I just bought an SPS with a 9 twist barrel </div></div>

The SPS Tactical is 1:9. The SPS Varmint is 1:12. The OP intended to buy a 700P, which except for the twist is a virtual twin to the SPSV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be sure and check the twist. SPS is 1:12. P is 1:9. What one is paying for in a "P" over a "SPS" is the faster twist barrel and the upgraded stock. </div></div>

I just bought an SPS with a 9 twist barrel </div></div>

The SPS Tactical is 1:9. The SPS Varmint is 1:12. The OP intended to buy a 700P, which except for the twist is a virtual twin to the SPSV. </div></div>

Dick or not, the OP clearly stated a <span style="font-weight: bold">26" bull barrel</span>, so he's OBVIOUSLY not talking about the 20 inch .223 SPS Tactical that has a 1:9 twist. I agree with confirming your barrels actual twist, inconjunction with the metal finish to determine wether you bought a 700P or SPS-V.

Factory box has the same serial number as the rifle and says Police. I read in a search for "difference between 700 P and 700 SPS" that the only difference in the two is the finish, stock, and the SPS has the potential to be as accurate as it is made on the same line, same tools. The 700 P is 100% tested for accuracy. The SPS is only test fired.

We'll see if they order another SPS stock or the HS that belongs on it.