• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Picked up a RI .45 cheap and re-did it

jack simpson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
Kentucky
Put a Kart barrel in and a set of Trigicon night sights, cleaned up the trigger group to a crisp 3 lbs., tightened the slide. Ordered a set of scales and duracoated it my self. She shoots really good. I have had the higher end models of Kimber and Springfield, this one shoots as good or better then any of them. Just thought I would share.
HPIM0248.jpg

Re: Picked up a RI .45 cheap and re-did it

Wilson combat 6' barrel Had the slide tightned up. Milled in new Novak Trijicon adjustable sights. Ed brown Ambidextrous safety.
The slide catch is also Ed brown as well as the mainspring housing and mag well guide rod and internals. The trigger is made by STI tuned to just under 3 lbs. Wilson Combat Skeletonized Ultralight Hammer. Reblued the frame. Threaded for my AAC Ti Rant whenever it finally gets here. Can't rember what grips I used. Swapped out the factory recoil spring with a 12 lbs spring and replaced the factory ejector with an Ed Brown Extended Ejector.

Great just finished ajusting the sights I've got just over 300rds fired since last friday. Best group so far was 7 shots just under 3inches at 20yds free standing. The only other pistol I own is a walther P22 that just blew up on me so Its my first big pistol. And yes its very enjoyable to shoot kicks like a 9mm and runs flawless with wilson mags.

Nothing like a tight 1911, functioning flawlessly. Makes you feel all warm inside, sorry about you Walthers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sure11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the future don't quote spammers. Makes it easier for us to clean up threads. </div></div>

Fugging spammer selling coach crap.

Kill this dude

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtwodogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a Kart barrel in and a set of Trigicon night sights, cleaned up the trigger group to a crisp 3 lbs., tightened the slide. Ordered a set of scales and duracoated it my self. She shoots really good. I have had the higher end models of Kimber and Springfield, this one shoots as good or better then any of them. Just thought I would share.
HPIM0209.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like a nice clean gun.

Nice job! You took a sows ear and pieced together a silk purse.
smile.gif

I agree, everything works well together. Its got a certain dark elegance to it.

I plan on doing the same thing buy a plain jane and slowly build it. I want to use a RIA will I gain anything if I use a better brand to start my build colt springfield ect?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benfur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on doing the same thing buy a plain jane and slowly build it. I want to use a RIA will I gain anything if I use a better brand to start my build colt springfield ect? </div></div>

If you buy a gun that is made in America, you might find that parts fit better.

My STI Spartan, which is the same frame as an RIA, has excellent fit compared to a Springfield or Taurus.

Given the choice, if I were you, I'd probably just go with an RIA Tactical and start there.

I would probably avoid buying a gun without a beavertail though, because it's a pain in the ass to cut a frame for one and you basically only get one shot to do it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing is for sure I already want to build another 1911 with a rail so I can run my light. </div></div>

What's a good cheap make and model with a rail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utnapishtim</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing is for sure I already want to build another 1911 with a rail so I can run my light. </div></div>

What's a good cheap make and model with a rail?
</div></div>

You can get a Caspian frame with a rail if you want to build a gun.

Nice jobs refurbing those 1911's, fellas. I have a citadel which I am very impressed with, RIA's custom shop makes & tunes them. It has a few of the nice features like the front serrations, novak sights, and extended tail that are nice to have, IMO. This one is wearing VZ gatorbacks in brown canvas micarta.

IMG_0190.jpg

I'm going to try my hand @ KG gunkote, i'm thinking i'll paint it up with a "desert warrior" type scheme.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300winman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What color of Duracoat is that? It looks nice
</div></div>
Flat black slide, I believe the name for the green was East German, but matches OD green.
Thanks