• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

picked up a win 70 in 243 1/10 heavy varmint

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
got a good seal on it and snatched it up but had no reloading stuff. Bought brass and dies last night and some 70gn smk as a beginning load. All I have for powder right now is benchmark (i know, shut up). Website shows 36.5 grains max for that combo so no biggie. But I want to load soft since I'm shooting shorter ranges. 100-300 yards. My thought process was if i load weak i can get more barrel/brass life and I don't need the extra velocity. Anyone load soft in 243 for these reason or is everyone pretty much cranking out max? If you are loading soft what powder/gn you using?

Also, first time using brand new brass. Are necks always so damn tight? I'm loading a blank to use for my measurements. Well I would have but i couldn't get it started by hand. Got the wrong die set so i have no collet die, just a crimper, seater and FL dies at the moment. It's insanely tight to get a round to seat.

Re: picked up a win 70 in 243 1/10 heavy varmint

Do you have the Sierra manual??? All the manufacturers have already done the homework for all of us. Of course, we must tweak to maximize. If you don't have the manual, hit me back. I do. I have the Rem 700 versions so mine are 1 in 9.125 twist. Therefore I shoot the heavier end. No less than 95gr. Just make sure you never light load 243 Win unless using H4895. 243 Win is an overbore. Even more than some magnum cartridges. Load density can be very important in this cartridge. I recently took the advice of others and started using H1000 for 100gr bullets...bingo!

Hodgdon's website actually lists 36.5 gr as the starting charge and 39.3gr as max charge for Benchmark. Don't overlook the IMR powders because they're oldies, but still great. IMR 4320 is the best metering IMR powder. IMR 4064 tends to make your brass grow a little faster.

for 70gr? must have read it backwards. I'm trying to do the opposite of max load, im thinking minimum load that remains accurate. I'm more that willing to swap powder next go around, but i got 3 lbs of benchmark waiting. I'm kind of up in the air on twist rate. reading conflicting things. one says 10, one says 9. Its used rifle so I'm not 100 percent on that. Im not stretching it out for so light and cheap is fine as long as it stays stable and accurate. Thanks for the reply.

Chamfer the mouth of the case and run it into the FL die over the expander button and back out. You might want to lube the inside of the neck with a dry lube such as graphite or moly. Should make the seating easier. Boltgunlvr is right on the starting charge. Start there and work up .3 gr at a time till you get a good grouping node. JMHO

You're on the right track. Speed does not equal accuracy in every cartridge combo. I'll bet you'll be able to find a recipe that will work with the components you have on hand. I usually go up in .5 gr increments until I get a decent group. The tweak +/- from there. Bullet seating depth can be tricky, but SMKs usually work well when jumping .010-.030. I really like SMKs because they are so tolerant of jump.

If you really want to know your twist, use your bore rod and brush marked with masking tape tab towards rod end handle. Insert, observe and measure the distance it takes to make one turn. That will give you a better feel for what you're working with.

What die set do you have??? Sounds as if you may have the Pacesetter set? If so, you're still good to go. Make sure you're regular FL sizing process in good before going to N sizing. I love N sizing for my bolt guns. Let me know. PM me if you'd like. Are you sure it's the necks that are tight? Is your brass within trim spec? Thats very important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What die set do you have??? Sounds as if you may have the Pacesetter set? If so, you're still good to go. Make sure you're regular FL sizing process in good before going to N sizing. I love N sizing for my bolt guns. Let me know. PM me if you'd like. Are you sure it's the necks that are tight? Is your brass within trim spec? Thats very important.</div></div>

brand new brass, it measure right, just tight since its never been loaded. I'm used to stretched necks. Hmm, i wasnt doing a FL size on them first go around as im expecting it to fire form anyway. Is that the wrong thing to do? I believe its the pace setter. comes with the crimp die instead of the collet die. I try to FL only when it gets to be hard to load. Im trimming neck length and all when it creeps to much, but everything else i try to leave alone. Thanks for the response. I had someone tell me to look into a neck expander. never used one of those before. Never needed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I usually go up in .5 gr increments until I get a decent group. The tweak +/- from there. Bullet seating depth can be tricky, but SMKs usually work well when jumping .010-.030. I really like SMKs because they are so tolerant of jump.
</div></div>

Yup, i actually do the ocw test in .2 gr increments and look for groups close to each other first (quiet spots). once i get the quiet zone worked out i take the middle load and start playing with OAL/Ogive. I've always thought it made more sense to work a load length from a quiet barrel. There was actaully a really good write up on here a while back on how to run these test. Before i was just kind of hit and miss and fell into it accidentally or by using load that someone else was already loading that worked good in same barrel length/twist.

My previous rifles have all been 700's. they have huge free bore. That's one of the reason i use SMK's so much. Jump tolerant and loading to .15 over saami seems pushing it. barely, and i mean barely making safe seating. I haven't sized this chamber yet to see how long i will have to go. Im hoping its shorter and i can work it closer without stressing too much. I appreciate your time and input. thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chamfer the mouth of the case and run it into the FL die over the expander button and back out. You might want to lube the inside of the neck with a dry lube such as graphite or moly. Should make the seating easier. Boltgunlvr is right on the starting charge. Start there and work up .3 gr at a time till you get a good grouping node. JMHO</div></div>

sweet thanks. i was gonna do the chamber, but brain farted the FL opening it up at top of stroke. Appreciate the brain check.

I FL size, chamfer and debur new brass. Try it. It may eliminate your cases being so tight. It was also allow your brass to fire form from a fresh start. Brass prep can't be overemphasized. I always buy Pacesetter Die Sets and add the collet die to it. It gives complete versatility. I've never had an expending ball.

got it working and loaded out. thanks to all. I ran the 75 sierras with 31gn of Benchmark. really soft but got my cases fire formed. all i swell with the world again.