• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up an LMT MWS (Range update)

cramey74

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2011
Joplin Mo
Got myself an LMT to play around with. Going to the range tomorrow for sight in. I hope it shoots well with the factory barrel, otherwise I will have to buy something else. Really digging the Steiner scope, for the money it would be very hard to beat.

Last edited:
I've been thinking one of these as a hog gun. 16" barrel? What length gas system? Range report please!

I've been thinking one of these as a hog gun. 16" barrel? What length gas system? Range report please!

I will definitely report back after range trip. This isn't my first large frame AR but I haven't had one for a while. I really hope it shoots nice with that factory barrel. I have seen them go both ways.

Have fun tomorrow.

I bought a LM8 (16" CL) a couple weeks ago but have only shot surplus fodder and some Privi "match" ammo through mine. I'm waiting to get 100 rounds down the barrel before I waste any actual match or reloaded ammo.

Fodder used: Privi 168gr. "Match", Winchester fmj nato, Radway Green fmj nato.

So far Winchester Nato shoots the worst at 3", with a LOT of vertical stringing. Radway Green shot a little better, around 2.5". The privi "Match" which uses a 168 gr SMK, shoots consistently around 1-1.5", but I would hardly consider it match as the SD is over 50 fps.

One upgrade I would recommend right away is a Geissele SD-E or SSA-E trigger. The LMT stock trigger is ok, but the SD-E is just amazing. I would also ditch the SOPMOD stock (sell it for $125) and buy an ACS or similar locking stock. The SOPMOD is horrendous for prone shooting with a rear bag.

Have fun tomorrow.

I bought a LM8 (16" CL) a couple weeks ago but have only shot surplus fodder and some Privi "match" ammo through mine. I'm waiting to get 100 rounds down the barrel before I waste any actual match or reloaded ammo.

Fodder used: Privi 168gr. "Match", Winchester fmj nato, Radway Green fmj nato.

So far Winchester Nato shoots the worst at 3", with a LOT of vertical stringing. Radway Green shot a little better, around 2.5". The privi "Match" which uses a 168 gr SMK, shoots consistently around 1-1.5", but I would hardly consider it match as the SD is over 50 fps.

One upgrade I would recommend right away is a Geissele SD-E or SSA-E trigger. The LMT stock trigger is ok, but the SD-E is just amazing. I would also ditch the SOPMOD stock (sell it for $125) and buy an ACS or similar locking stock. The SOPMOD is horrendous for prone shooting with a rear bag.

God I hope his barrel shoots and doesn't need to be replaced.... He'd only be left with a lower and upper receiver of his original purchase ;)

I second ditching the SOPMOD stock. I put a PRS on mine. What another couple of pounds as it's heavy as is. I find it balances the front heavy LMT MWS better and I have no plans to go on hikes with mine or lug it through the woods.

I was thinking about putting a Battleline SAPR on the sopmod. I have never used one but it looks pretty nice.

LMT SOPMOD with SAPR

Here is the SOPMOD with the SAPR. Here in AZ it gets a little hot so I glued some wetsuit material to the cheek rest. Keeps it cool and very comfortable as well. I think you'll like it. This is Gen 1 so it's heavier than the Gen 2.
One thing I had to learn about AR LR is don't get disappointed and learn to feel how she handles. And yes get the Giessele trigger, your AR will love you for it.

Attachments

• Baby with accessory.JPG
    Baby with accessory.JPG
    837.9 KB · Views: 18
Here is the SOPMOD with the SAPR. Here in AZ it gets a little hot so I glued some wetsuit material to the cheek rest. Keeps it cool and very comfortable as well. I think you'll like it. This is Gen 1 so it's heavier than the Gen 2.
One thing I had to learn about AR LR is don't get disappointed and learn to feel how she handles. And yes get the Giessele trigger, your AR will love you for it.

A little hot? Boy that is really an understatement. Even here in Prescott at 5500 feet if you leave a weapon with a black stock out in the sun without some type of covering you will fry your cheek when it's put against the stock. That's why I put FDE stocks and accessories on rilles/carbines I shoot regularly and now buy FDE weapons when available. It helps a little bit. I can't imagine how bad it must be down in the Phoenix. I remember the first time I flew into Sky Harbor. The temp was 116 degrees. That's not hot its London broil. :>)

Last edited:
I went to the range with the LMT a few days ago. What a disappointment that was. I grabbed up some Winchester 147gr white box and some Black Hills 168gr to try. First I sighted in my new AIAW, which took a total of 3 rounds. I shot two five shot groups with it and it performed as expected. I then pulled out the LMT, first firing some of the Winchester to get it on paper. The first group I fired was promising with the 147gr junk, it measured well under an inch. I grabbed up a fresh box of Black Hills and that is when everything went to shit. The first group I shot with BH measured somewhere around two inches and it only got worse when I switched back to the 147gr. I had two other buddies with me, both of which are accomplished shooters so I let them give it a whirl. Their groups were no better than mine. I left the range frustrated. Went home and started checking the rifle and everything seemed okay. I even jumped on here to ask Elfster for advice. Upon further investigation of the gun I noticed that the reticle was ever so slightly canted. The scope is mounted in a SPUHR mount and I check all my scopes with a plumb line. I checked the ring screws and they were tight but not tight enough. When I torqued them the wedge that SPUHR supplies with the mount was still in place. I remembered having to pull on it pretty hard to get it out. I really do know better than that and I would have told anyone I saw do that to recheck torque.

After finding this issue I went back to the range yesterday. I did not have a lot of time to spend messing with it because it was storming like hell. This time I had some of the 147gr to foul up the barrel, BH 168 with SMK, BH 168 with Hornady AMAX and some hand loads I got from a buddy of mine who has a rifle with a similar chamber. I had to hang a target between downpours. First shot was on paper and I only needed a few clicks to get it zeroed. It shot everything really well with the largest group measuring just under 1.75". It did like the hand loads best and did not measure more than 1.00" with them. The smallest group of the day was shot with the last three hand loads I had. I don't like the SOPMOD on this rifle so I ordered a PSR to replace it. Overall I am very happy with the rifle. With all the different ammo it has not had one hiccup. One final note, do not pull your rear bag in such a fashion that it depresses the lever on the collapsible stock. It will leave a nice mark right on you forehead.

Glad it worked out. Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on one of these for a while.