• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up an older Model 70

DernHumpus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Iowa
I picked up an older Model 70 from a friend yesterday. I don't know much about it or them in general. It was originally a .222 Rem and was rechambered .223 Rem.

I picked it up cheap, and have been needing/wanting a truck gun. I am thinking of cutting the barrel from 22" to 16-17". Is this something that I can do myself and be happy with the results? If I can remove the barrel I have access to a lathe. How do I remove the barrel?

Also, I have had a light primer strikes. The rounds don't go off if I simply lift the bolt to reset the hammer then lower it. However, if I remove the round and reload it, then it will fire. Any ideas on this? No, I have not tried a second kind of ammunition. The ammunition used was federal AE223. I have some of my handloads that are 75 gr, but this 222 barrel is most likely a 1-14 twist, so I havent shot them.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Picked up an older Model 70

DernHumpus,
You say that you picked up o older Model 70 cheap. Just how old is it? If the serial number is below 700,000. It is the Famed Pre-64. A Pre-64 is not a good candidate for a Truck gun. If it is a Pre-64, have the firing pin issue fixed and sell it and you can buy three truck guns.
Baron

I would have the rifle checked over if you are experiencing misfires, could be excessive headspace or something simple like a worn firing pin spring. Also may wish to try using another ammo as the american eagle usually has a tougher primer in it. Probably easier to have a good smith chop it down if you wish, unless you have the tools to do it right, as most regard the crown of a barrel as very important Good luck

I would start by de greasing the FP assembly. You are in Iowa and I know it is cold up there. It is easy, just place the saftey to the mid position with rifle cocked, remove the bolt and push the little detent button on the LH side of the bolt shroud and unscrew. Blast out the inside with a degreaser and clean the FP and spring. I would guess that will eliminate the problem. You will likely find either grease or rust. Either will cause a misfire.

It did happen when left in the truck all day. I took the bolt apart and sprayed it down with Breakfree last night, I don't have any degreaser in the house. I will let it sit in the truck for a while and shoot it again and see how it does.

I didn't have any problems when I shot the gun warm, but did when it was left outside, so that is most likely the problem.

Real old Model 70's predate .222. I did have a Pre-64 for awhile in .22 Hornet.

I took the bolt all down and degreased it, but still had problems.

I purchased a new firing pin spring and some bullets to load rather than the questionably hard to ignite federal rounds. Hopefully I will have some luck with that combo.