• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Picking a new 338 LM powder

Cira

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
I was going to work up a new 338 Lapua Magnum load using 250gr bullets and H4831SC as that was one of the most popular powders I've seen people using. However, I've been to all the local shops and no one has any. They do however have tons of Reloader powder. I see in the reloading thread that some folks are using Reloader 22 and Reloader 25 with 250 grain bullets. From the burn charts that I have it looks like RL-22 has a similar burn rate to H4831 and RL-25 is slower between a H1000 or a Retumbo. Any advice on choosing RL-22 or RL-25 for 250gr SMKs in .338 LM?

I have a great 300gr load using Retumbo and may even try that but I'm running low on that too with none in stock anywhere.

Re: Picking a new 338 LM powder

You can use RE19, 22 or 25. Mine likes RE25 but I can't get it. I am currently using RE22. In a big cartridge like .338LM, the slower the better.

There's tons of 19, 22 and 25 at my local shop and the entire Hodgdon shelf looks like it got robbed. So I'll grab some 25 and see if I can get a decent group with 3000+ fps and I'd be happy. If I can't, then I'll try the 22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">91.5 grs of Vit N-165 was my load of choice with 250's . </div></div>

I wish I could find that nearby as well. Vit and Ramshot powders just don't ship to this area ever. Someday I might break down and pay a hazmat fee though :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cira</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's tons of 19, 22 and 25 at my local shop and the entire Hodgdon shelf looks like it got robbed. So I'll grab some 25 and see if I can get a decent group with 3000+ fps and I'd be happy. If I can't, then I'll try the 22. </div></div>

If you can work up the 25 I'd say buy up extra based on my AO. Nobody can get it here for some reason.

RL-25 has produced the best results for me with 3 different 338LM systems. Lapua cases, Fed215 primers Start with 90grains with a 250gr.SMK and go from there.

I've tried H1000, retumbo,VV560, RL22 as well as the 50BMG powders such as VV24N41, H50BMG and US 869. RL25 is the most consistent-especially with hot ambient temps. 4831 is too fast IMO.RL-25 works great with 250 as well as the 300gr.SMK (87-89grains). I've shot over 5K rounds of 388LM and RL25 is my go-to powder.

Currently I use 90gr.RL25 with 250SMK in my AIAWSM.

I shoot the Sako TRG-42 sniper rifle chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum. I currently have 3000+ rounds down the tube and I have been using 87.5 grains of Reloader 19, with Federal Match magnum primers, Lapua brass and 250 gr. Lapua boattails. One trick to pay close attention to, especially with the .338 round, is do a ladder test with your bullet seating and figuring out how far to back out of the lands. With the right recipe, a thousand yard kill shot is nothing for this particular caliber.

I have alot of loading for the 338 LM mag under my belt and will stand behind RX 25. It's worked in different rifles with different bullet combos.