• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Picking a Reticle, what is your favorite?

tropicallrg

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2020
I am trying to decide on a reticle style, i see alot of different styles, MIL or MOA, doesnt really matter which.

trying to get pics of your favorite reticle styles and why you like it and what your main objective for the rifle is . im hoping finding a style i like will help me narrow down the choice on scopes.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: RyBoy
My choice is always mil. Metric math is easier.

Just got the Horus tremor3. I’m still getting used to it, but so far I like it. Depending on what you want to do you might like a simpler reticle.
i currently have a nikon fx1000 in MIL, i would prefer to keep everything the same, but im not against having different stuff ya know?

this next scope has got to be a little nicer though.

ret_rzr-hd-amg_ebr-7_mad_24x_9ed19ead-6714-4348-a490-aedb637d1354.jpg

APRS1-FFP-IR-MIL-PWR-1024x512.png

I haven't had any problems with the vortex 2C and 7C reticles...but about to step into the MPCT3 reticle from ZCO....we'll see.

Reactions: 10ring'r
I like the NH-1 reticle for hunting. H59 and MSR for playing at long range banging AR500.

If I were you, I’d buy the StrelokPro app. You can select different reticles and targets and see where your selected ammo would hit at different distance/wind/weather/altitude conditions. You can also get a feel (but not an exact feel) of what it would be like to look through a bunch of scopes.

A rather extreme example: 17 HMR, 100yd zero, 200yd target, 15 mph wind etc

C543E7A5-FC37-4831-B78B-499ADF8EDD8C.png

Vs

54B5B0C2-8425-4D54-8ED6-6BD96444914C.png

Since I hate holding over in empty space, between the MR4 and MIL-XT reticles I prefer the latter.

StrelokPro has helped me avoid some expensive mistakes.

And yeah, I didn’t know crow hunting was a thing, either. Going to start next month!

edit: I should say for my varmint shooting I have settled on Vortex’s mrad 2c and 7b reticles (razor gen ii/diamondback tactical and amg, respectively) because they are very thin and start at 2 mrad wind holds. Thin because prairie dogs and crows are not big!

If I had tons of money, I’d either buy scopes with NF Mil-XT or Schmidt & Bender’s Grid reticles.

I think I want a Schmidt grid (Gr2id) for my next scope as it has really extended wind holds way up the tree, and the 5-45 looks interesting for both varmint shooting and rimfire 50yd target shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbailey
Right now I’m loving the MD3 Rey from Eotech. Not too busy and not much above

so far the delta strykers dls1 mill ret with the free floating dot .

I would add another vote for the Minox mr4. Many similar reticles out there but that is my fav.

Good question, I'm making a list of reticles to do a head to head. I've heard a few people say that seeing them in person is a whole different beast. Any opinions on that? I know what I like and dislike on my bushnell so I feel like that's a good start.

I agree about seeing them in person. I was really skeptical about the EBR-7b+7c reticle from Vortex. Looked like crap ? to me in drawings and also in through-scope shots. You see, I’m a fan of their older 2c reticle.

Well, lo and behold, I looked at the 7c through a PST gen II, liked it (or wasn’t bothered by it) and bought an AMG with the 7b version. Now, I haven’t hunted with it yet, but I don’t think it’ll be too busy!

So yeah, if a scope ticks all your boxes except the ret, try to finagle a looksee. I reckon it might change your mind.

I think the MR4 is pretty perfect. I wish the center wasn’t quite so open but that’s my only real gripe. I wish it had the same center as the SKMR3. That would make it my ideal.

MIL-XT is too busy but it isn’t awful. I think the lines on the crosshairs make it seem thick and obtrusive and I don’t like the half mil dots in the tree.

I agree about seeing them in person. I was really skeptical about the EBR-7b+7c reticle from Vortex. Looked like crap ? to me in drawings and also in through-scope shots. You see, I’m a fan of their older 2c reticle.

Well, lo and behold, I looked at the 7c through a PST gen II, liked it (or wasn’t bothered by it) and bought an AMG with the 7b version. Now, I haven’t hunted with it yet, but I don’t think it’ll be too busy!

So yeah, if a scope ticks all your boxes except the ret, try to finagle a looksee. I reckon it might change your mind.
Same. Looked through a vortex viper and immediately knew I wanted a Razor with the ebr7c as well. Purchased and waiting for delivery currently.

MIL C and MIL XT are the best as far as I’m concerned.
View attachment 7250730
That pic illustrates my above mention of the limitations of StrelokPro’s evaluative usefulness when getting a feel for a reticle. For whatever reason, the developer didn’t include all the numbers crammed in that ret. To me, there is waaaaay too many of them and some are crazy gigantic in through-scope shots (but not in Strelok).

So StrelokPro is awesome, but be aware WYSI maybe NOT WYG. (Punning WYSIWYG, fyi). Also, you’ll find no Horus rets in the app, as the Horus owner made the dev remove them. Because, uh, having prospective customers seeing how your rets work (without you paying an app dev) is somehow bad for business? :unsure:

ps. I’m a mil guy too.

Last edited:
I've used Vortex EBR-2C Mil reticles and like them. I recently got a Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 with a Horus H-59 that, so far, I like very much. Mil/Mil reticle and adjustments FTW.

Harry

Tremor3 and H59, I hold generally, and dial for long distances (~8mil line), or stages with 2 or less distances. It’s a little cluttered but helpful for wind holds and use the hash marks to make second round corrections.

For my hunting rifles I really like the SKMR 1 and mil c. For my match rifles im getting along with the H59 mil xt and the leupold CCH.

The Mil-R is actually a pretty good reticle for hunting. Doesn’t have 0.2 mil holds in the center so it’s not the best for comps. But because only the center cross lights up, it doesn’t hurt the low light image and it affectively turns the reticle into a red dot at low power.

Terribly hard to get hand held phone pics, the ret is much sharper and much more visible in real life. Hard to see the illumination in pics too, but it’s daylight bright.

Attachments

• 0538F22F-7F98-4C22-BC50-A59A2C32BE8D.jpeg
    0538F22F-7F98-4C22-BC50-A59A2C32BE8D.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 99
  • BB137D9D-1BA7-4B55-84FA-2E6F1963FA1F.jpeg
    BB137D9D-1BA7-4B55-84FA-2E6F1963FA1F.jpeg
    704.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 4CD226B7-EBF2-436C-8DC7-2BC5AC77BA85.jpeg
    4CD226B7-EBF2-436C-8DC7-2BC5AC77BA85.jpeg
    667.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 0AA32F14-8F23-4F0A-8CC5-83E2BF02DB97.jpeg
    0AA32F14-8F23-4F0A-8CC5-83E2BF02DB97.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 117
have the EBR2C and MPCT2 like them both, MPCT2 better for sure. The new MPCT3 is growing on me.
I have the ebr2c also. When you shoot long do you try to get the aim point visible inside that tiny box in the center of the reticle? I'm new to shooting and some people say go low magnification and use the subconscious mind to aim but it would be cool to know what accomplished shooters are actually doing.
Another way of asking my question is do you try to create an aim point that is smaller than that little box and actually put the aim point inside the box? I'm not sure if that question was clear either.

i'm the weirdo here and don't care for tree reticles i was down to mil-c and scr-mil and went for the latter. if i were out west in some altitude and was going to max out my mechanical elevation and get into a scenario of both elevation and windage hold overs i'd likely feel different, but at sea level not an issue.

Reactions: ldunnmobile
Gen2XR
G2 DMR
Just enough to aid in quicker spotting and holds but not enough to give you overload under stress. A shame they come in so few scopes.

if I was going full blown tree then Tremor 2 would likely be my pick...Tremor 3 acceptable in a pinch. I feel they added stuff that wasnt needed and took away the most important part of the upper vertical stadia on the T3.

The aprs1 from Athlon is a really nice reticle with .2 wind and .2 elevation down to 1mil

I have the ebr2c also. When you shoot long do you try to get the aim point visible inside that tiny box in the center of the reticle? I'm new to shooting and some people say go low magnification and use the subconscious mind to aim but it would be cool to know what accomplished shooters are actually doing.
Another way of asking my question is do you try to create an aim point that is smaller than that little box and actually put the aim point inside the box? I'm not sure if that question was clear either.
The open center is tiny. It is your aiming point.

i'm the weirdo here and don't care for tree reticles i was down to mil-c and scr-mil and went for the latter. if i were out west in some altitude and was going to max out my mechanical elevation and get into a scenario of both elevation and windage hold overs i'd likely feel different, but at sea level not an issue.
I can take them or leave them myself. I rarely use the tree unless I am holding up and over for the hell of it. I am just as effective holding up and over with a standard milling reticle out to any distance that it makes sense to me.

woah, I've been trying to catch up on some stuff since I had a few days off. I need to go thru and check everyone of these out side by side. and as far as in person and in pictures. it's like seeing a picture of some chick hiding 200 lbs in the next room in her profile picture hahaha. seeing with your own eyes always tells the truth

Unless you’re dialing, you won’t be using the center.

Depends on the purpose.

For a PRS/NRL/general purpose use, I really like the SKMR3. A reticle similar to that would be my choice for these disciplines.

For ELR, the AMR reticle is about perfect, IMO. I can't believe this reticle never really caught on. It's a perfect match for my .300NM. From reticle pictures it looks really busy, but not the case when you are actually behind the rifle. 0.2 mil subtensions on the vertical and horizontal axis', with a very extensive Xmas tree that gives you lots of flexibility for holdovers. Really wish I had this reticle on my 6.5 creedmoor rifle when I was shooting 2,200 yards.

My .308 has an MSR-K which is a good reticle for general purpose shooting, but lacks some features that would be really beneficial for PRS type shooting (namely subtensions for holdovers).

I've come to appreciate reticles like the MR4 because it's relatively clear above the horizontal line.

I've had trouble spotting rounds in the air when there too much clutter above the point of aim and keeping it open really helps spot bullet trace.

Most of my shooting is done in places where we don't see the off plate rounds hit the ground, so seeing it in the air is key for me anyway.

For the same reason, I'm not much of a fan of the Christmas tree in the lower half. I just find it distracting and would prefer less interference so I can see impacts, or trace when holding high as well. So MR4 without the Christmas tree would be perfect IMO.

Simple answer....Aim small, Miss small. As simple as that. Reticles are subjective, pick one that will get the job done, then learn/practice with it. Place the cross/dot on the Bullseye, pull the trigger or have I missed something over the decades?? Mac:rolleyes:

My favorite is Athlon's BLR SFP MOA....
BLR-SFP-MOA.png

I'm punching paper and steel shooting for group size out to 1000 yards so far.

VooDoo

Reactions: Cuzz