• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Picking qd 34 mm ring mount height without a rifle

762libertarian

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
A dealer who messed up is offering me a free ERA TAC scope mount as compensation, to be shipped together with my k624 scope. I don't know what rifle I'm putting the scope on (leaning towards a tikka), which makes it difficult to pick the mount.

I think I'm going for a 2 piece QD mount. These are high quality rings so I'm expecting decent performance even if they are both qd and 2 piece rather than fixed 1 piece. Not going to compete or fight with this rifle so why not?

I always prefer the lowest possible height.

There are two heights to choose from, measured from the top surface of the picatinny to the bottom of the 34 mm center tube.

18 mm and 25 mm

Assuming I go with the lower rings, 18 mm:

With a 34 mm tube and 62 mm objective outer diameter (as per the Kahles website), i get a 4 mm distance from the bottom of the objective to the top of the picatinny. Do you think thats too tight? I'm thinking that scope covers should not need as much as 4 mm.

Also , if I go with a rifle that doesn't have a full length pic rail, the 18 mm rings will give me plenty of space, since the top of the barrel will be much lower than the top of the pic rail.

Will I be fine with the 18 mm rings?
Any input would be appreciated! Especially if you have anything to say about the QD mounts from era-tac!

Cheers from across the pond.