• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picking Scope for "SPR"

Fletcher22

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2024
USA
Looking to pick up a scope for a newly acquired 18" upper in 5.56. I've been mainly considering the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 as it meets the main things I want:
  • Decent magnification range (2-4 on the low end and 15-20 on the high end)
  • FFP
  • MIL reticle
  • Christmas tree style reticle
  • Under $1k
But before I buy, I wanted to see if anyone had input on the Viper or any other similar scopes within the requirements listed above. I don't want to completely skimp on quality, but I'd like to keep the price below $1k, or even better, closer to price of the Viper I found at $900.

The Gen 2 3-15 Viper is widely considered a great optic for the price.

The Burris XTR3 is also recommended frequently in that price range.
I've never have really considered at looking into Burris before, but the XTR3 does look like a good option. I found one for the same price as the Viper and the main things that stand out to me is the increase in main tube and objective lens diameters.

Elite Tacticals are a solid step above the vipers and XTR’s imo. Japanese vs Philippines. To my eye, the glass is better. They have a solid reputation for mechanical accuracy and durability.

You can always get a higher quality used optic for $1k than a new one. Pretty sure I saw a used DMR3 in the $1000-1100 range recently in the classifieds.

Elite Tacticals are a solid step above the vipers and XTR’s imo. Japanese vs Philippines. To my eye, the glass is better. They have a solid reputation for mechanical accuracy and durability.

You can always get a higher quality used optic for $1k than a new one.
That makes sense, I had seen that the PST and XTR both had glass made in The Philippines.

I would assume that would be the case for optics at most price ranges.

Not my ad.

There was a DMR2 @ $650. Not sure if it sold

No way I’d pay $1k for a Burris or Viper when there are DMR’s selling at these prices.

I’m sure others may feel differently as we all have our preferences, favorites, and experiences.

Reactions: camocorvette
That makes sense, I had seen that the PST and XTR both had glass made in The Philippines.

I would assume that would be the case for optics at most price ranges.
The XTR II is Philippines. Like the Vortex. Aside from the 1-8 which is made in Japan. The XTRIII has much better glass and the 3.3-18 would be in your range. Apparently the 5.5-30 xtriii has better glass of the xtriii class between the two.

But the xtriii have models made in both US and now Philippines. You can find both in the px regularly

I’m in the same boat so watching this thread

Reactions: Fletcher22

Not my ad.

There was a DMR2 @ $650. Not sure if it sold
I'll have to keep an eye out to see what comes up. I may also just browse around and see what other options are available in my price range that are used.

The XTR II is Philippines. Like the Vortex. Aside from the 1-8 which is made in Japan. The XTRIII has much better glass and the 3.3-18 would be in your range. Apparently the 5.5-30 xtriii has better glass of the xtriii class between the two.

But the xtriii have models made in both US and now Philippines. You can find both in the px regularly

I’m in the same boat so watching this thread
When you say the XTR3 has much better glass, are you saying in comparison to the XTR2 or the Viper PST Gen 2?

When you say the XTR3 has much better glass, are you saying in comparison to the XTR2 or the Viper PST Gen 2?
The XTR II. I’ve owned basically every XTRII and several Gen 1 Viper PST. The XTRII glass is supposedly better now but all that I owned weren’t spectacular. The 3-15 I still own and it’s great for that optic. But the 4-20 and especially the 5-25 suffer big time on the top end of magnification

The Vortex weren’t reliable enough for me to ever get much time behind them. I haven’t messed with a Gen 2 viper

I got a primary arms glx 3-18 with Athena bpr reticle I really like. All in all a good scope for the money.
The primary arms options do look nice. I just figured that since I could get other options like the Viper on sale at the same price, those would for the most part be the better way to go.

Yeah, I would like to avoid Chinese products as well. From what others have said above, it looks like the Viper and XTR3 are also made in the Philippines.

I was considering this option before, but lowered my budget. Though maybe I can find one used. Was also considering the Steiner T6Xi.

The new MSRP is full on smoking crack, but if you hunt around you could probably find a deal on one closer to the $1300 mark or a used one closer to the $1k mark.

While I have been considering if it would be worth bumping up the budget to get something with nicer glass, an ATACR is well above what I'm willing to spend.

While I have been considering if it would be worth bumping up the budget to get something with nicer glass, an ATACR is well above what I'm willing to spend.
I know. But in these threads you give us a price you wish to stay under. We give you options that are well above that price. Hang around a while and you’ll see what I mean 😁👍

Looking to pick up a scope for a newly acquired 18" upper in 5.56. I've been mainly considering the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 as it meets the main things I want:
  • Decent magnification range (2-4 on the low end and 15-20 on the high end)
  • FFP
  • MIL reticle
  • Christmas tree style reticle
  • Under $1k
But before I buy, I wanted to see if anyone had input on the Viper or any other similar scopes within the requirements listed above. I don't want to completely skimp on quality, but I'd like to keep the price below $1k, or even better, closer to price of the Viper I found at $900.
I would add durability on a gas gun to that list, which the Viper PST Gen II meets with its epoxied lenses and optical modules.

I have seen and have broken a lot of scopes on gas guns over the years. Funny enough, I never broke the older Viper PSTs and I have had at least 2 of them, in addition to the older Viper just to see if the company was solid back in the late 2000s. My 2.5-10x32 Mil PST is still trucking along, turret tracking, shot in hot to well below freezing throughout the year on my 17.6” Lilja barrel 6.5 Grendel.

When the PST Gen II 3-15x44 debuted at SHOT, I thought immediately that it would make a great SPR scope for mostly range use.

If you’re looking for an SPR/Optic combo that you actually drag around in the woods, want to hunt with, or are around rock outcroppings and rough terrain, an exposed turret set-up is going to have inherent problems.

So if you’re using a tree reticle for elevation and wind holds anyway, it’s a good idea to have low-profile capped turrets instead of target turrets. With my target turret scopes, I’m always having to be careful they don’t get knocked off of zero, especially the windage. I have zero-stops on the elevation turrets, so those are easy to re-index.

I wasn't away of the durability of the Viper series, but good know. I've had a Razor 1-6 for a while and haven't had any issues with it.

I don't plan on this being purely a range gun, so the turrets are something I need to consider. I seeing other models including locking turrets which would help solve that issue.

Reactions: LRRPF52
I love the vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 on my SPRs. Light. Fantastic optics It checks all the boxes
I put a lht 4.5-22 on my mk12 rifle and am very happy with it. I also really like the fact it has low turrets so I can piggy back a red dot and still get a full sight window of the red dot, and get a chin weld for up close fast shots.

Both the Vortex and Steiner seem to be pretty comparable. The Steiner is a few hundred more in MSRP, but at the price I've found them, they are pretty much the same. And yes, Vortex's warranty is nice. Though seen the same with Steiner. My dad had an old pair of binos for im not sure how many years/decades and little brother broke them... Steiner did send him a new pair because they could fix the old ones, though not sure he is as happy with the quality so there's that...

what is the opinion on VX6HD scopes compared to others in that price range? wondering about glass clarity mostly.

Not too sure on those, but I've seen them pop up while I've been searching for other scopes. Typically when I see anything for the Leupold scopes it's in regards to the Mark series.

what is the opinion on VX6HD scopes compared to others in that price range? wondering about glass clarity mostly.

VX5, 6, mark 5, 6 all look similar to me. Also the reticules suck (in vx series). My father had three vx5 with the cds dial on hunting rifles and one of them gave up the ghost after a few range trips. I'd go for a used mk5hd 3-18 or a new 4hd 3-18 for an AR15 over a vx5 or 6 if it has to be leupold of that magnification.

isnt the mk5 series all FFP? i'm not much of a FFP fan and i'm lazy and like the BDC dials too. my shooting isnt competition, just rock busting in the desert.

i have couple vx6hd's, a 2-12x and a 3-18 with side focus. the glass seems ok but when i get out to 600 yards i feel like its not as clear as it should be. just wondering if the vx series glass is on par with the industry in the given price ranges. thanks

isnt the mk5 series all FFP? i'm not much of a FFP fan and i'm lazy and like the BDC dials too. my shooting isnt competition, just rock busting in the desert.

i have couple vx6hd's, a 2-12x and a 3-18 with side focus. the glass seems ok but when i get out to 600 yards i feel like its not as clear as it should be. just wondering if the vx series glass is on par with the industry in the given price ranges. thanks
Adjusting the diopter may help with clarity at extended range. I do this with a few scopes I have that don't have parallax adjustment and it works well for me. I have one mark on the diopter for close and one mark for extended ranges to adjust the diopter to for best image quality.

Reactions: tucaz
i have used and really like the Razor LHT 4.5-22x on my 6 ARC, but recently swapped it for the new Leupold mk4hd 6-24x. I prefer the controls and reticle on the mk4. Glass is very comparable. tradeoff is a little more weight

I still have an LHT on my big game hunting rifle. Better suited for that purpose IMO.

Reactions: tucaz
Adjusting the diopter may help with clarity at extended range. I do this with a few scopes I have that don't have parallax adjustment and it works well for me. I have one mark on the diopter for close and one mark for extended ranges to adjust the diopter to for best image quality.

ah....good advice and will try that this weekend. hoping for a less breezy day. i'm always amazed at hope much windage i have to dial in at 600 yards with just slight brezzes, like 10mph maybe. doesnt feel like much on your face but those little bullets know! especially the 77gr 223.

Reactions: WILLSMITH030382
You might be talking about heat mirage. If my rifle has say a 20X scope on it past 600 I am usually on 15x it helps with that.

i did notice backing off of highest seems to help so good reminder, thanks. . i think i"m getting to the point where a high magnification scope would be nice. the rotation of gear never stops! haha

I am going to go in the opposite direction here. I have one each of these and am very satisfied with them. One is on a Springfield ATC Elite 5.56 the other a SIG Cross 6.5 Creedmoor. Both have performed well and are very clear. Maybe I just do not know better yet ??? I have always been a pistol person just starting shoot rifle​

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44mm Riflescope with EBR-2C Reticle​

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope - EBR2C (MOA) Reticle​

I feel myself moving into that phase of life where I want better and better glass, with more FoV, more clarity, and more magnification.

I had really exceptional eyesight most of my life, then they started going to crap at age 42. I could get away with shooting good 1-4x scopes at distance, and was used to M3As on the M24 in the Scout Platoons I was in, so 10x on the top end was plenty for me most of the time.

The Hensoldt 3-12x56 FF I used for FinnSniper in 2008 was an awesome scope, as were all the S&B PMIIs, but I’ve always been chasing as compact as possible with good glass, specific features, and durability.

I really like the form factor of the Leupold Mk.6 or Mk.V HD on an AR for the SPR role. Something with capped low-profile windage and low-profile locking elevation that doesn’t get in the way of offset MRDS is good for SPRs.

I’m wanting something even more compact but with a 14-18x top end, with wide FoV, great glass, tree reticle, large exit pupil, and gas gun durability.

I’ve been shooting with the Vortex 1-10x Razor Gen 3, Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32, and GRSC 1-6x24 LOW mainly on my 12” and 18” Grendels.

Something like that