• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Picking tools

DustyK

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys. Im going to be taking an Armor class revolving around the AR platform and glocks as well. I need to get a full set of tools and I have a list of what to get, but I was curious if anyone has recommendations on brands and maybe other tips then just buying the basic stuff.

Thanks
Dusty

Bets that you’re going to go buy some wheelers garbage.

Hi,

Both of those look to be EXTREMELY overpriced!

Considering that you can almost fully disassemble both of those with your hands & a paperclip, I wouldn't get too carried away. I'd recommend a good set of punches from Grace & a little brass hammer, maybe a nylon one too. They make some gunsmithing specific screwdriver sets with a bunch of different bits... Won't be used much on AR's & Glocks but will if you venture into other firearms. Depending on how mobile you want this to be, get some decent Allen wrenches... I've got full sets of standard, metric & torx from Bondhus but if you want more mobility, get a set from Fix It Sticks or Borka... A torque wrench or torque limiters will get used on bolt action rifles & mounting optics plenty.

Oh yeah & for AR's, I'd definitely have a Geissele Reaction Rod!

Sincerely,
J-Ham

Hi,

Both of those look to be EXTREMELY overpriced!

Considering that you can almost fully disassemble both of those with your hands & a paperclip, I wouldn't get too carried away. I'd recommend a good set of punches from Grace & a little brass hammer, maybe a nylon one too. They make some gunsmithing specific screwdriver sets with a bunch of different bits... Won't be used much on AR's & Glocks but will if you venture into other firearms. Depending on how mobile you want this to be, get some decent Allen wrenches... I've got full sets of standard, metric & torx from Bondhus but if you want more mobility, get a set from Fix It Sticks or Borka... A torque wrench or torque limiters will get used on bolt action rifles & mounting optics plenty.

Oh yeah & for AR's, I'd definitely have a Geissele Reaction Rod!

Sincerely,
J-Ham
The bondhus tools are awesome.

Reactions: PDXGS
Hollow ground screw driver bits, brass and soft faced hammer. You can't have have too many tools. Brass punches,
steel punches. The list is too extensive to list. Always buy quality tools, they will last your entire life.

Attachments

• 20220104_190103.jpg
    20220104_190103.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: DustyK
Thanks everyone. I dont want to buy cheap tools but not spending several thousand on them right yet either.