• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Picking up a 1911, how to deal with the costs

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
Over the last week I've wanted to pick up a SA GI 1911. I'm thinking I'd get this, see if I even like shooting pistol over rifle and maybe upgrade down the road. So I ask my local shop about ordering one. They say springfield 1911 production is down right now. OK... so I get online and go to gunbroker.com. Its $525 for one, plus shipping plus an FFL transfer(don't know any). Fine, whatever. I go to cheaperthatdirt to see what .45s run for. Another kick in the face. I can reload my 308 cheaper than I can buy 45s!

Next I look up what it takes to reload .45s. I have to melt ingots down or some shit? What the hell...this was suppose to be an awesome pistol ready to tear [stuff] up...but the only thing getting [torn] up (potentially) is my wallet. Naturally, you'd say go find a different pistol (or just manufacturer) in a 9mm or something smaller...but I CANT! Its the 1911..how can you resist that?

What the [heck] do I do? Talk some sense into me.

Re: F*ck the 1911 pistol and its awesomeness

Head over to 1911 fourm. You'll want to reload. I like lead 230's on top of WST.

the 1911 is a great gun when it's tuned properly and works....it has a good grip angle and size....good trigger reach for either small to large hands.....consistent trigger pull and short reset......good ballistics and accurate for a centerfire handgun caliber...easy and forgiving to reload for...lots of aftermarket parts and upgradable if you buy a base gun....that being said (I carry a Jardine tuned Kimber Warrior)...I still recommend either a Glock 21 or HK45 LEM for someone not willing to put in the time to learn and tune up a 1911 weapon system

Yep,
Reload for that bad boy and you'll have a ball (230 grain ball, that is.) The Springfield GI is a fine pistol. I left mine as is instead of upgrading, and saved for another. It's cool to have a replica of an old war horse.

What are/were you smoking when you posted this?!?!?!

First, there are plenty of sources out there for SA GI 1911 pistols, including GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc. Yes...they'll run you around $500+$25 S&H+$25 or so in an FFL transfer so your total out-of-pocket is around $550 to $600. There should be plenty of FFL dealers in and around Tuscon, AZ. You can run a search online using your zip that should give you a list. Check them out, see if anyone has any experience with them, check their fees and proceed.

Second, if you are using CTD to judge the cost of anything, you are getting raped and pillaged before you even open your wallet. Their prices just plain SUCK on ammo 99.9% of the time!! If you buy commercially loaded ammo, you should be able to get 230gr ball for around $0.33/round or less. If you reload, you can get it for less than half that per round. I don't know what in the name of all things holy you are talking about when it comes to casting your own lead bullets?!?! Plenty of companies sell cast lead, jacketed, and HP bullets for use with reloading .45acp.

Take some time to check out http://forums.1911forum.com/ . This is a great site that will set you straight and give you tons of good info to consider before you purchase anything, including your pistol and any ammo or reloading dies/supplies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 1911 is a great gun when it's tuned properly and works....it has a good grip angle and size....good trigger reach for either small to large hands.....consistent trigger pull and short reset......good ballistics and accurate for a centerfire handgun caliber...easy and forgiving to reload for...lots of aftermarket parts and upgradable if you buy a base gun....that being said (I carry a Jardine tuned Kimber Warrior)...I still recommend either a Glock 21 or HK45 LEM for someone not willing to put in the time to learn and tune up a 1911 weapon system </div></div>

No doubt the Glock or HK is easier with maintenance, but I believe the 'tuning" of a 1911 is overplayed. Use some good mags, and most of them will run great out of the box. I've shot several thousand rounds through plain jane .45's without having to "adjust" anything. Especially with modern metallurgy, they are rock solid. FWIW, this DOESN'T go with building a 1911. That's my next venture, and I feel like it's gonna be a PITA.

I'd appreciate in your next post if you watched your language. From your post, you obviously have a lot to learn.

First lesson. Clean up your language.

Roger that Jack!! A punk mouth like that has no business with a fine weapon as a 1911. He should go find him a Jennings or a keltec. Granddad always said profanity is the first sign of ignorance and bad upbringing. He needs to spend some time in the south. If he wants to mouth off like that try rappers r us.com.

where did you look up what is takes to reload 45???
who told you you have to cast your own lead???
wow.

i recently traded my 92fs for a para p14 and im loving it.
i am reloading my own 45, and i have shot her more than my 92fs

and 45 is fun to reload for. the corn cob shakes out of those wide mouth cases, unlike 223 or 308. and 5grains of bullseye? 1 pound will go a long way with the 45.

i did start missing my 92 about a month later so..... i bought a 92 elite.

Picking up a 1911, how to deal with the costs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd appreciate in your next post if you watched your language. From your post, you obviously have a lot to learn.

First lesson. Clean up your language. </div></div>

I can respect that. But please, add to your post. This is about 1911s and straightening out the info I've found. Not how offended you are with my already censored language.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roger that Jack!! A punk mouth like that has no business with a fine weapon as a 1911. He should go find him a Jennings or a keltec. Granddad always said profanity is the first sign of ignorance and bad upbringing. He needs to spend some time in the south. If he wants to mouth off like that try rappers r us.com. </div></div>

Punk? How old are you? I haven't heard that word in years.

To everyone else, keep the topic going. I really appreciate the information coming in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are/were you smoking when you posted this?!?!?!

First, there are plenty of sources out there for SA GI 1911 pistols, including GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc. Yes...they'll run you around $500+$25 S&H+$25 or so in an FFL transfer so your total out-of-pocket is around $550 to $600. There should be plenty of FFL dealers in and around Tuscon, AZ. You can run a search online using your zip that should give you a list. Check them out, see if anyone has any experience with them, check their fees and proceed.

Second, if you are using CTD to judge the cost of anything, you are getting raped and pillaged before you even open your wallet. Their prices just plain SUCK on ammo 99.9% of the time!! If you buy commercially loaded ammo, you should be able to get 230gr ball for around $0.33/round or less. If you reload, you can get it for less than half that per round. I don't know what in the name of all things holy you are talking about when it comes to casting your own lead bullets?!?! Plenty of companies sell cast lead, jacketed, and HP bullets for use with reloading .45acp.

Take some time to check out http://forums.1911forum.com/ . This is a great site that will set you straight and give you tons of good info to consider before you purchase anything, including your pistol and any ammo or reloading dies/supplies. </div></div>

and

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where did you look up what is takes to reload 45???
who told you you have to cast your own lead???
wow.

i recently traded my 92fs for a para p14 and im loving it.
i am reloading my own 45, and i have shot her more than my 92fs

and 45 is fun to reload for. the corn cob shakes out of those wide mouth cases, unlike 223 or 308. and 5grains of bullseye? 1 pound will go a long way with the 45.

i did start missing my 92 about a month later so..... i bought a 92 elite. </div></div>

are both extremely useful posts. Thanks guys =)

You almost have to buy at least 1 of the 1911 pistols somewhere in your life as your patriotic duty, it is the most classic handgun that says America all around the world.

You can find some good basic models starting around the $500 range and going up. Then of course you get the super tuned competition guns in the $2000 range and up.

For a 100+ year old design it's still going strong and hard to beat for what it does. It's also one of those things where you can tinker with it endlessly for years on end getting it just the way you want it.

Fwiw for reading costs, I like the precision delta 230 gr bullets that you get for 11.2 cents shipped, it really keeps costs down...

Staying away from the controversial topics of language and reloading ....

I'd suggest taking a look at the Milspec. The lowered and flared ejection port alone is worth the $50-$80 price difference. Of course, being that you are in AZ, a good used Loaded model can be found in the $600-700 range locally.

This is why God handed the sidearm invention gift to Gaston Glock , even God learns over time .

G20 Gods Gift to those who take self defense seriously . 10mm endorsed by Col.Cooper .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why God handed the sidearm invention gift to Gaston Glock , even God learns over time .

G20 Gods Gift to those who take self defense seriously . 10mm endorsed by Col.Cooper . </div></div>

Glock Perfection........

glock_kaboom_photo.jpg

The initial buy in of a good 1911 is a little higher than a glock, but its worth it. Check out STI and Tripp research for magazines. Absolutely the best mags you can get for a 1911.

Ha awesome glock picture.

DirtyRod..are you referring to me finding one near your house? *cough* cough*

Worked on the numbers for reloading costs. Not including the upfront of a turret press (ie not my single stage) and dies, I can reasonably reload for $.19 - $.21/round [could be cheaper if I didn't select product purchased locally instead of online]. Thats if I don't buy in bulk and me counting on using my brass at least 10 times. I feel like with pistol brass, it wouldn't need to be replaced often.

Sound right so far?

I've seen a number of posts now where people are really getting into magazine discussion. I'll have to add that to my list of things to research. STI and Tripp are on my list. I would assume everyone would recommend Wilson as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check around, found 230gr FMJ's for$0.33 a rd. </div></div>

That's about what I'm paying (.33-.36/rd). I buy them by the case and pick them up at local shows to save on shipping or add $20 for shipping. To the Op, if you can't swing a full case of 1K, split a case with someone close looking for .45ACP.

Re: Picking up a 1911, how to deal with the costs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over the last week I've wanted to pick up a SA GI 1911. I'm thinking I'd get this, see if I even like shooting pistol over rifle and maybe upgrade down the road. So I ask my local shop about ordering one. They say springfield 1911 production is down right now. OK... so I get online and go to gunbroker.com. Its $525 for one, plus shipping plus an FFL transfer(don't know any). Fine, whatever. I go to cheaperthatdirt to see what .45s run for. Another kick in the face. I can reload my 308 cheaper than I can buy 45s!

Next I look up what it takes to reload .45s. I have to melt ingots down or some shit? What the hell...this was suppose to be an awesome pistol ready to tear [stuff] up...but the only thing getting [torn] up (potentially) is my wallet. Naturally, you'd say go find a different pistol (or just manufacturer) in a 9mm or something smaller...but I CANT! Its the 1911..how can you resist that?

What the [heck] do I do? Talk some sense into me.

</div></div>

How DARE you use that language in reference to the greatest example of engineering that the human race has ever known!DIE...DIE...DIE...aarrrrggghhhh!Seriously though,and I KNOW everybody is gonna jump on me like a rabid donkey on a watermelon,but you should really consider the Rock Island Armory line of pistols.They are very well made pistols and can be had in a full on GI model for less than $400 bucks up to one with most things you would upgrade to for less than $450.The line also includes Commander and Officer size models and 45ACP,9mm and 38 Super.All the parts are interchangable with aftermarket 1911 items if you wish to upgrade or try something new.Most people will tell you you MUST get an expensive brand to get a good 1911 but it ain't so.I LOVE the 1911,I mean with all those flats and curves oohh and the sounds they make when you cycle the slide and the way the steel gets all warm in your hand and the smells.....anyway.I have carried a full size 1911 for about 10yrs on my CCW and they are great,but as one of the posters noted you MUST train yourself in the particular manual of arms for it.If you are not willing to become familiar to the point of muscle memory you can become unsafe for yourself and others.The reloading is no big deal if you feel the cost of loaded ammo is too high.

I just got to say that Iv had a Kimber Custom 1911 and feel the same way I feel about boats ( best 2 days are the day I bought it and sold it
smile.gif
And for the price of a 1911 I can buy 4 Glocks so its ok if one blows up

i ran into a guy that had no idea the 1911 came in more than just the .45. if its the cost of ammo than buy one in .40 or 9mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got to say that Iv had a Kimber Custom 1911 and feel the same way I feel about boats ( best 2 days are the day I bought it and sold it
smile.gif
And for the price of a 1911 I can buy 4 Glocks so its ok if one blows up </div></div>

You can buy glocks for 150 bucks a piece?

I've owned a dozen or so 1911's from Rock Island, Taurus, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, STI, and now SVI/INFINITY.

You need to set a price your willing to spend as a starting point.

FWIW my Taurus 1911 had around 10,000 rounds through it before I bulged the barrel during USPSA practice with a squib. Never had any problems. For the money the STI is a great brand. So are the Springfield Armory National match 1911.

You can relaod for about 5 or 6 bucks a box of ammo. You will probably lose the 45 brass before you wear it out. The only 45 brass I've seen wear out was 15 or so times fired nickel brass.

People get all wrapped up in the cost of the gun but a good 1911 should last for 100,000 rounds or so before it needs a new barrel and internals. So you figure that even at reload prices you've gotta put almost 10,000 bucks worth of ammo through it to wear it out. Buying factory your looking at 20,000$ plus.

Guns are cheap. Its the ammo that costs money!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DirtyRod..are you referring to me finding one near your house? *cough* cough*

I've seen a number of posts now where people are really getting into magazine discussion. I'll have to add that to my list of things to research. STI and Tripp are on my list. I would assume everyone would recommend Wilson as well? </div></div>

I bought a SS Champion for $650 in Phoenix in January and a Fullsize Park'd Loaded for $675 in November. My other Champion was $600. How much more could it be in Tucson?!?!??! Perhaps you should check out AZShooting. GIs and Milspecs some up all the time and I've seen quite a few listings from Tucson. The site has been down all weekend because of some database issues but it should be back up tomorrow.

Like everything else, lots of opinions on mags. Wilsons work in all five of my 1911s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guns are cheap. Its the ammo that costs money! </div></div>

Amen on that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha awesome glock picture.

DirtyRod..are you referring to me finding one near your house? *cough* cough*

Worked on the numbers for reloading costs. Not including the upfront of a turret press (ie not my single stage) and dies, I can reasonably reload for $.19 - $.21/round [could be cheaper if I didn't select product purchased locally instead of online]. Thats if I don't buy in bulk and me counting on using my brass at least 10 times. I feel like with pistol brass, it wouldn't need to be replaced often.

Sound right so far?

I've seen a number of posts now where people are really getting into magazine discussion. I'll have to add that to my list of things to research. STI and Tripp are on my list. I would assume everyone would recommend Wilson as well? </div></div>Are you really going to complain about reloading costs and mention buying an STI or Wilson Combat 1911?

And if you can't find a Spingfield 1911 for sale in Tucson you are not looking hard enough, heck there was a gun show this past weekend and on sunday one over before closing i must have seen at least 15 if not more for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you really going to complain about reloading costs and mention buying an STI or Wilson Combat 1911?
</div></div>
When I said STI/Wilson, I was referring to their magazines, not the actual pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And if you can't find a Spingfield 1911 for sale in Tucson you are not looking hard enough, heck there was a gun show this past weekend and on sunday one over before closing i must have seen at least 15 if not more for sale. </div></div>

I didn't get a chance to go to the gun show. But good to know...i'll make sure to get to the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why God handed the sidearm invention gift to Gaston Glock , even God learns over time .

G20 Gods Gift to those who take self defense seriously . 10mm endorsed by Col.Cooper . </div></div>

Glock Perfection........

glock_kaboom_photo.jpg

The initial buy in of a good 1911 is a little higher than a glock, but its worth it. Check out STI and Tripp research for magazines. Absolutely the best mags you can get for a 1911.

</div></div>

Ok , now do you want me to post the 1911 KABOOMS I have or just this .....................

298 rds , fast , somthing a 1911 cant do .

OHHH wait ,

Here ya go .

Here ,
amtkaboom2.jpg

and here ,

sig-p220-and-wolf-kaboom-11549939.jpg

another, MY FAV .

kaboom_02-tfb.jpg

OOHHH wait . Another .

FN-FiveSeven_1.jpg

Well , well , . Now you atom splitters , ANYTHING MADE BY MAN WILL ONE DAY BLOW UP . So the Glock grenade line is old and sour . I love my Cylinder & Slide 1911 , BUT I have more problems with it than my Glocks . I dont own any 40 cal glocks ,because of the unsupported chamber .

Now go buy the gun you like and rember it MAY blow at any time .

This thread is a waste of time.

Elxx, your post is full of holes.

went to my dealer.....gunbroker......dont' have an ffl to transfer too??? I guarantee I could find a SA 1911 on a gunstore's shelf in less than 1/2 hour. And bitching about 1911's becasue 45 ammo is expensive-funny, other 45's exist.

If you want to start shit or just look like a douchebag for the fun of it try somewhere else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And that proves what, That someone double charged a round?</div></div>
Nah, this thread is strictly 1911, and glocks have no place in it.

Sure glocks are great handguns, they perform well, and do what they are designed to do. They kind of remind me of Savage, and their line of rifles.

The problem though, is that it shows a steady cheapening of products to the consumer. cutting corner to save a few bucks doesnt belong in firearms. You cant stand there, look me straight in the eye, and tell me plastic is better than metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You cant stand there, look me straight in the eye, and tell me plastic is better than metal.</div></div>

Polymer's are better than metal , plastics , not so much .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You cant stand there, look me straight in the eye, and tell me plastic is better than metal.</div></div>

Polymer's are better than metal , plastics , not so much . </div></div>

Looks like theres alot more possibility for tissue damage from a plastic gun explosion than a steel gun KB.

As for spraying bullets wildely the glock 18 is great at that. You can do it with a 1911 style pistol too....but whats the point?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZWP90FncTs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZWP90FncTs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is a waste of time.

went to my dealer.....gunbroker......dont' have an ffl to transfer too??? I guarantee I could find a SA 1911 on a gunstore's shelf in less than 1/2 hour.
</div></div>
Hang on there tiger. MY local store doesn't have a SA 1911. I'm glad your store does.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And bitching about 1911's becasue 45 ammo is expensive-funny, other 45's exist.

If you want to start shit or just look like a douchebag for the fun of it try somewhere else. </div></div>

The ammo IS expensive...but I've learned from other posters that reloading for a 45 is much more feasible than I originally thought.

So here's the deal Sobrbiker883, post something useful, or don't at all. I'm not trying to start shit with anyone about anything.

So glock=kaboom and 1911=kabang.

What about hk 45's? Or even FN45?

Sorry to hijack if you think it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And that proves what, That someone double charged a round?</div></div>

Sure glocks are great handguns, they perform well, and do what they are designed to do. They kind of remind me of Savage, and their line of rifles.

The problem though, is that it shows a steady cheapening of products to the consumer. cutting corner to save a few bucks doesnt belong in firearms. You cant stand there, look me straight in the eye, and tell me plastic is better than metal. </div></div>

Got something against savage eh? prove to me that Remington makes better quality actions then Savage and ill sell my Savage built Tac Ops tomorrow.
The Remy might be a little smoother. but it sure as hell aint better quality then my Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is a waste of time.

went to my dealer.....gunbroker......dont' have an ffl to transfer too??? I guarantee I could find a SA 1911 on a gunstore's shelf in less than 1/2 hour.
</div></div>
Hang on there tiger. MY local store doesn't have a SA 1911. I'm glad your store does.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And bitching about 1911's becasue 45 ammo is expensive-funny, other 45's exist.

If you want to start shit or just look like a douchebag for the fun of it try somewhere else. </div></div>

The ammo IS expensive...but I've learned from other posters that reloading for a 45 is much more feasible than I originally thought.

So here's the deal Sobrbiker883, post something useful, or don't at all. I'm not trying to start shit with anyone about anything. </div></div>
Thats just Steve for ya ELXX. He try's to start shit with everyone so don't even bother with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why God handed the sidearm invention gift to Gaston Glock , even God learns over time .

Glock Perfection........

glock_kaboom_photo.jpg

</div></div>

Ok , now do you want me to post the 1911 KABOOMS I have or just this .....................

298 rds , fast , somthing a 1911 cant do .

OHHH wait ,

Here ya go .

Here ,
amtkaboom2.jpg

and here ,

sig-p220-and-wolf-kaboom-11549939.jpg

another, MY FAV .

kaboom_02-tfb.jpg

OOHHH wait . Another .

FN-FiveSeven_1.jpg

Well , well , . Now you atom splitters , ANYTHING MADE BY MAN WILL ONE DAY BLOW UP . So the Glock grenade line is old and sour . I love my Cylinder & Slide 1911 , BUT I have more problems with it than my Glocks . I dont own any 40 cal glocks ,because of the unsupported chamber .

Now go buy the gun you like and rember it MAY blow at any time . </div></div>
You know the story on how that Five-Seven Kaboomed? Never heard of one of those blowing up before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> g 18

and here is why we dont recommend gang banger glocks that are full auto </div></div>
WOW look at the hole in his hand...

If you went to you local dealer, right there is an FFL.

I posted because I saw a thread titled <span style="font-weight: bold">"F*ck the 1911 pistol and its awesomeness"</span> and had to stop by to see what dumbass was flapping their gums about 1911's now. I wasn't disappointed, because you had a whining misinformed post that was full of holes. Now you backpedal on the caliber-why does 45 cost more? Gee I don't know, why does 308 cost more than 223???? Think before you go badmouthing good pistols and calibers on shooting forums.
That <span style="text-decoration: underline">was</span> my contribution, sorry you didn't savvy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thats just Steve for ya ELXX. He try's to start shit with everyone so don't even bother with him. </div></div>

Savage110-don't pretend you know me. We've met, yes-but that doesn't mean you know me. I'd suggest you lay the fuck low unless you have a sudden burst of realization that you're an annoying spoiled child trying to pass himself off as a rifleman of some sort.
For example, you have 4 useless posts in a handgun thread, yet you are not even legal to buy a handgun in your state of residence. You don't even own the TacOps Savage you brag on, because unlesss things have changed, firearms can't be transferred to minors that are not US citizens in the state of Arizona.
Nice toys don't get you respect in this community, respect garners respect. I have no respect for internet parroting child wannabe's that aren't US citizens.

I just start shit when I step in it. I've had and continue to have thousands of great conversations here with hundred and hundreds of great people. You are just a turd in the punchbowl.

Sorry about the sidetrack with Felipe, I'm sure I'll hear a nasty response when he gets home from school......

Back to the worthless Glock vs 1911 kaboom posts.

Again, I'm not trying to start shit. I <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> said 1911s suck .

Re:picking up a 1911, how to deal with the costs

Granted, I propbly clicked in looking for it from the title.

Speaking of which, I did put the new title in this reply post, so it might not be popping up on the "active topics" list as F*ck the 1911..."

If you get over the 45 sticker shock and don't get a lemon, the 1911 is an awesome pistol. Springfield Armory also has good support if needed.
If they shoot well for you, there's nothing wrong with a G19 and a handful of 9mm CorBons.

Best thing is to find a rnage that has rentals and try out the 1911, Glock, XD, M&P and maybe Sig platforms, find which fits you best and go that route. Spend some dough on training and ammo/reploading.

<span style="font-weight: bold">You will always be best served by the pistol you like and are most confident/competent with.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thats just Steve for ya ELXX. He try's to start shit with everyone so don't even bother with him. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Savage110-don't pretend you know me. We've met, yes-but that doesn't mean you know me. I'd suggest you lay the fuck low unless you have a sudden burst of realization that you're an annoying spoiled child trying to pass himself off as a rifleman of some sort.
For example, you have 4 useless posts in a handgun thread, yet you are not even legal to buy a handgun in your state of residence. </div></div>

You dont know me either, so I suggest you calm down a little steve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You don't even own the TacOps Savage you brag on, because unlesss things have changed, firearms can't be transferred to minors that are not US citizens in the state of Arizona.
</div></div>
Canadians can own firearms here. Good try though. Also please give example's of my bragging, oh wait there are none.
Nice toys don't get you respect in this community, respect garners respect. I have no respect for.... that aren't US citizens. </div></div>

Eh its your problem if you can only respect others due to their nationality.

I just start shit when I step in it. I've had and continue to have thousands of great conversations here with hundred and hundreds of great people. You are just a turd in the punchbowl. </div></div>
I also have conversations with many on here and have met many top notch folks, unfortunetly with 100 good ones there's always a bad apple. you happen to be the spoiled one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And that proves what, That someone double charged a round?</div></div>

The problem though, is that it shows a steady cheapening of products to the consumer. cutting corner to save a few bucks doesnt belong in firearms. You cant stand there, look me straight in the eye, and tell me plastic is better than metal. </div></div>

Plastic is a lot better than metal. I prefer it. And my $2,000 STI has a plastic grip. I don't have a single complaint.

I like shooting the 1911, but I don't carry it because it's too heavy. Plastic or aluminum is better for that.

*facepalm*

Another Glock vs. 1911 pissing match. They are both fantastic handguns, and are both completely different. They both go bang and are fun to shoot...what does it really matter, folks? I love the glock because it is rock solid dependable. I love the 1911 because it is accurate, beautiful, and fun to work on...why do folks compare a lightweight polymer striker pistol to a classic singlestack, steel .45?