• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Picking up my first suppressor and have some ??'s

Bendigo78

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2012
I'm picking up my first suppressor tonight and have a bunch of questions that I haven't found good answers for. The suppressor is a SWR Omega 30.

I'm terrified of baffle strikes. What's the best way to check the alignment of the suppressor to the bore? Do I need to worry about guns that have had a suppressor attached before? (Short b let me try his on my blackout once)

When you attach the suppressor, should the rear of the suppressor seat against the shoulder of the barrel? If the threads bottom out inside of the suppressor, is that ok?
If you use a .30 cal can on a .223 with an adapter do you need to worry about baffle strikes?

When do you know it's time to clean it?

Is there any other maintenance that it requires?

Thanks guys, I thought this might be a better place for questions than BARF.com

Re: Picking up my first suppressor and have some ??'s

If your barrel was properly threaded an indicated off the bore, and the adapter is in spec, you will have good alignment. The biggest worry will be your adapter, if it is out of spec your will have the possibilty of baffle strike. You can definitely shoota .223 through a .308 can all day long. As for cleaning, I would just shoot the shit out of it and not worry about it. I f you do clean it I would say maybe once a year.

A quick easy way to check for proper alignment is to thread or attach the suppressor and then pull the bolt and look down the bore. I it is properly aligned then you should see a perfect circle. If you don't see a perfect circle and something more like a partial moon, then don't shoot it and have your thread job checked out.

Thanks. Checked every rifle I've put it on and they've all been fine. So far I've put it on a 16 wilson combat 300blk, 9.5" core 15 300blk, 16" DEZ arms .223 with a Silencer shop adaptor, and a 7.5" 223 pistol with a 22lr conversion kit and adaptor. All shot fine. The core 15's threads seem to be thicker than normal as the suppressor has no wobble in it when it's only a couple turns on.

Still have a couple lr-308s to try it on. A standard ap4 and franken sass with a white oak finished barrel.

Taking three more barrels to the gunsmith tonight for threads. This has gotta be the coolest gun accessory ever.