• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pics of adjustable LOP mod to my remy 5R

tofst4u2no

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Davenport, FL
Pretty new to the hide. Joined up when I found out about the 5-20 group buy and have gotten a wealth of information from reading this site. Figured I'd post up some pics of the most recent mod to my remy 5R. Being a broke college student and on a fairly tight budget I decided to try adding a LOP buttplate to my stock rather than getting an aftermarket stock that had one. I decided to go with a Graco adjustable buttplate that is oversized and you have to cut/grind to fit your stock. Total cost was only around 80 bucks. Here are the pics, I tried to get some from each step of the process.

Started off with the factory HS stock that comes on the 5R. The hole drilled is for a karstens cheek rest.
IMG_0003.jpg

Removing the factory recoil pad was alot tougher than I thought. I started off using a razor blade to cut as much of it off as I could and then went to a sander to knock the rest off. Turned out there was an aluminum stiffener in there that got mostly ground off that you can see in the second pic here.
IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Now I placed the buttplate on, marked the holes for the mounting screws and attached it temporarily so that I could mark where I would have to drill with the hole saw.
IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Now came the scary part for me. I had done some research and the consensus was that the HS stocks are hollow in the back. I was concerned that there would not be alot of material for the buttplate to screw into other than the thin piece of composite that was on the rear. After drilling the 1 1/8th inch hole with a hole saw I was relieved to see that only a rectangular shaped portion of the rear was hollow. There was around an inch of material from the top and the same amount from the bottom that worked out to be perfect for the buttplate to screw into.
IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Re: Pics of adjustable LOP mod to my remy 5R

After drilling the hole and making sure it was fitting nicely and would adjust through the complete range I marked the buttplate and began the shaping process. This part was MUCH more difficult than I had imagined. I have an oscillating spindle sander in my shop and had originally thought that this would make quick work of the aluminum but I was WRONG. It too a very long time to get it sanded down. I wouldn't attempt to do this job again without a bandsaw that I could use to cut out the rough shape first and then finish it with the sander. I probably have about 5-6 hours in just sanding to get it shaped. I think it came out quite nice however and it almost looks like a factory job to me.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_00112.jpg

Next came the decision of which recoil pad to go with. I ended up getting a limbsaver grind to fit pad locally. I'm not quite happy with the way the shaping of the pad came out. It's shaped properly but since I dont have a bench belt sander the edges of the pad came out a little rough. I'll get it cleaned up eventually but for now it's fine.
IMG_047.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_00045.jpg

All in all I'm very pleased with the results and the rifle is much more comfortable to shoot now. I have pretty long arms and the stock LOP was about 2 inches too short.

Thats awesome work! good job.

Thanks for posting. I was just looking mine over last night thinking about the same thing. You answered a few questions in your pics about the make up of the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats awesome work! good job.

You answered a few questions in your pics about the make up of the stock. </div></div>

+1

Great job and great pics! Thanks!

Great job on the install! Always glad to see DIY projects, have a few of my own on here.;)

You can finish out the pad with a sanding block using 150 grit wet paper and fine tune it with 220 grit. Use a light hand and take your time, it'll slick her right out.

Good job partner!

Looks like you did a really nice job on that.

Looks great. Keep a watchful eye on the screws holding the plate to the stock. The material you screwed into is just dense foam. If they come loose, drill them out oversized and epoxy in some hardwood so they have something better to bite into. The first Sims pad I put on an HS stock lasted 2-3 years before it came loose. After that, I just started bedding an oak block into the stock before I put the pad on.

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

Keep that stuff up and you won't be a broke college kid for long.

Impressive!!

Great work. Looks like something I would love to try with an old stock before doing it to my rifle.

Wow.... That is an AWESOME job brother... I am totally impressed that you shaped that on a sander...wow... Must of taken a year and a day...
That has to be one of the best stock mods yet...

You kicked ass on that mod, looks like it came from the factory that way.

Wow thanks for all the friendly replies.

Dawg, I'll give that a try. I also read in the instructions that came with the pad that you can throw it in the freezer overnight to firm it up a bit. I'm gonna give that a try and hit it with a sanding block.

Brad, Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely keep an eye on the screws to see if they loosen up at all. Hopefully they stay put but if not bedding in some hardwood looks like a great solution.

Cant wait till the scope gets here so I can get to the range and shoot this thing.

The freezer trick does work on the pads. Won't take long at all to slick her down. Use a light touch in conjunction with the block and it'll come out CLEAN.

Keep up the good work......by the way, welcome aboard!
laugh.gif

Throw some aluminum pillars in there for your cheek piece bolts. Keep the stock form crushing.

I did one and it was a good improvement.

Nice work.

Great job! I know the feeling you went through, making those first cuts. I added a Tubb4way adj to my 5r last fall, and wasnt sure what I was getting in to, yours came out a LOT better than mine did. Good job!

freezing the Limbsaver pads is a good idea....the soft rubber just keeps peeling off if you don't. and they will also melt in your gunsafe if it gets warm. we're missing some patches of carpet in ths hop safe where a few have melted and stuck to the carpet. our AC went out last summer, took the useless landlady three months to get it somewhat fixed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phideaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">freezing the Limbsaver pads is a good idea....the soft rubber just keeps peeling off if you don't. and they will also melt in your gunsafe if it gets warm. we're missing some patches of carpet in ths hop safe where a few have melted and stuck to the carpet. our AC went out last summer, took the useless landlady three months to get it somewhat fixed. </div></div>

It was so hot in the safe it melted the limbsaver pad?
Thats a little hotter than "warm"

Thats a new one on me.

Same thing happened to one of those pads on my 870 shotgun in my safe, not too unusual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad from ND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great. Keep a watchful eye on the screws holding the plate to the stock. The material you screwed into is just dense foam. If they come loose, drill them out oversized and epoxy in some hardwood so they have something better to bite into. The first Sims pad I put on an HS stock lasted 2-3 years before it came loose. After that, I just started bedding an oak block into the stock before I put the pad on.
</div></div>

In the r/c world I use blind nuts for stuff like that, *IF* you can get it in behind the wood - the blind nut has the 3 claws on it that bite in, and then you use a threaded screw and a tad of loctite, good to go!

I may have to hire this guy to fix my 1947 Winchester Model 24
smile.gif

Great job! I am sure the mod will work well for you.

good lord man! you did that with a sander?!?!? Great looking job, but you must have the patience of a saint! lol

I just saw the part about the Limbsaver "melting" I had one do that in a drag bag that sat vertically on the pad for a while. I called SIMS and they said that they had a bad batch of the rubber about 2 1/2-3 years ago (exactly when I bought mine) and they replaced it for free. Great customer service. (I was kind of shocked when an actual person answered the phone!)

Nice hands, young man! You have some talent. If I tried that, you would know I did it(i.e.- it would look like doodoo).

Looks very professional.

Outstanding work!

Ref the recoil pads--Remington had a bad batch a few years ago. I had two that fell apart in the safe, noticed it on my hunting rigs, called them and they sent me a replacement. They did acknowledge that they were bad ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad from ND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great. Keep a watchful eye on the screws holding the plate to the stock. The material you screwed into is just dense foam. If they come loose, drill them out oversized and epoxy in some hardwood so they have something better to bite into. The first Sims pad I put on an HS stock lasted 2-3 years before it came loose. After that, I just started bedding an oak block into the stock before I put the pad on.

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00261.jpg
</div></div>
Brad,
I had the same issue with my HS stock...holes kept breaking loose. Can you post further details on your hardwood mod? I'd like to try it on mine...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It was so hot in the safe it melted the limbsaver pad?
Thats a little hotter than "warm"

Thats a new one on me. </div></div>

Not really. It has more to do with the Limbsaver material itself than it does with heat. Sitting on the recoil pad over time, the material basically 'melts' into carpet or any other porous surface it happens to be sitting on. I had a Remington hunting rifle pad pick up a bunch of carpet strands while sitting in a closet in the off-season.

-matt

I had the same issue with my HS stock...holes kept breaking loose. Can you post further details on your hardwood mod? I'd like to try it on mine... [/quote]

The modification its self is fairly straight forward. It is only a fiberglass shell on these. The rest is just foam. Grind the foam out with a dremel. I cut a piece of 3/4 thick hardwood to just slip inside the recess from where the foam would be. I then used Devcon or even 5 minute epoxy to secure the block in place just flush with the stock. You can then screw the pad to that without having to worry about the screws coming loose unless you take the pad on and off a lot. If you have a big post like his adj buttplate does, just drill the hole through the block to allow it to still be functional.