• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pics of my new Projo. 175gr.

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
Finally took a few pics of the new projo for all to see.
2eatcer.jpg

[img:right]
2wfjw2u.jpg
[/img]

Re: Pics of my new Projo. 175gr.

Details: OK It is a Dual ogive 7-11 similar boattail as SMK. It is a 175gr.I have made a handful of 168gr. they look the same of course,I have some 1.200 length jackets on the way so I will possibly be making some 190gr. next week. I use carbide dies ($$$) for swaging the bullet.

No not right now may do that later I have to see how they shoot first.I have compared the meplat to the sierra and they are a little better but I guess could stand a little trimming. It really depends on the amount of lube I use. Too little and the meplat looks crooked. Currently using about 6gr. per 1m of jackets. I will post some more Meplat pics later.

Why a dual ogive ? I have always been led to believe that this can cause and extra unwanted pressure wave to develope.
The bullet looks good however , the meplat might benifit from a slight trim up but then again it may not . It s not just the lube.
Lathe trimmed jackets give better meplats than pinch trimmed jackets . So lathe trimming a pinch trimmed jacket before you make the bullet will usually result in a better meplat.

Country said:
Why a dual ogive ? I have always been led to believe that this can cause and extra unwanted pressure wave to develope.
The bullet looks good however , the meplat might benifit from a slight trim up but then again it may not . It s not just the lube.
Lathe trimmed jackets give better meplats than pinch trimmed jackets . So lathe trimming a pinch trimmed jacket before you make the bullet will usually result in a better meplat.

I have not heard anything on the pressure wave, I used an optical comparator to see check this bullet next to a SMK. The sierra is basically a 7 ogive. mine has just a tad bit more sleekness (is that a word?) on paper it is hovering around .540 BC that is just a rough calculation. The meplat looks rough on the pic but most are really flat across the tip. I am unaware if the jackets are pinch trimmed???They are J4 jackets,I have used .50 jackets that were pinch trimmed and they were terrible when pointed up.

Pics of Meplat and Boattail. [img:left]
11lo4y8.jpg
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Country said:

I have not heard anything on the pressure wave, I used an optical comparator to see check this bullet next to a SMK. The sierra is basically a 7 ogive. mine has just a tad bit more sleekness (is that a word?) on paper it is hovering around .540 BC that is just a rough calculation. The meplat looks rough on the pic but most are really flat across the tip. I am unaware if the jackets are pinch trimmed???They are J4 jackets,I have used .50 jackets that were pinch trimmed and they were terrible when pointed up. </div></div>
Well J4 ( Berger) does not actually say that I have noticed. However my J4's look lathe trimmed or at least in some way better than other pinch trimmed jackets I have.
Anyway the bullets look real good on the outside. It seems to have a double boattail as well?
Did you single or double swage your cores? No pun intended! Did you clean the inside of the jackets really well? Did you degrease and clean your cores really well and dry before core seating ?
The best way to come up with a BC for a custom bullet would be to chrono for a near and far velocity at several different ranges .
Then use a program that will take multiple BC's and velocity boundaries.
This will model the trajectory better than a single close range BC.can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Country said:

I have not heard anything on the pressure wave, I used an optical comparator to see check this bullet next to a SMK. The sierra is basically a 7 ogive. mine has just a tad bit more sleekness (is that a word?) on paper it is hovering around .540 BC that is just a rough calculation. The meplat looks rough on the pic but most are really flat across the tip. I am unaware if the jackets are pinch trimmed???They are J4 jackets,I have used .50 jackets that were pinch trimmed and they were terrible when pointed up. </div></div>
Well J4 ( Berger) does not actually say that I have noticed. However my J4's look lathe trimmed or at least in some way better than other pinch trimmed jackets I have.
Anyway the bullets look real good on the outside. It seems to have a double boattail as well?
Did you single or double swage your cores? No pun intended! Did you clean the inside of the jackets really well? Did you degrease and clean your cores really well and dry before core seating ?
The best way to come up with a BC for a custom bullet would be to chrono for a near and far velocity at several different ranges .
</div></div>

It is a slightly rebated boattail. I double swage the cores,It makes a more uniform weight.I soaked the jackets in acetone and then dried them w/ compressed air.Yep cleaned the cores well,simple green and boiling water rinse several times. I am going to shoot them @ 300 using a chrono at both ends this week. R/Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Country said:

</div></div>

It is a slightly rebated boattail. I double swage the cores,It makes a more uniform weight.I soaked the jackets in acetone and then dried them w/ compressed air.Yep cleaned the cores well,simple green and boiling water rinse several times. I am going to shoot them @ 300 using a chrono at both ends this week. R/Mike </div></div>
Acetone is a nasty solvent to use eventhough it does a good job . Shellite aka Naptha aka White Spirit will degreas just as well and evaporate just as well but is not as dangerous and is cheaper and eassier to get .
The best jacket cleaner I have come across is a bathroom cleaner called CLR it's main ingreadient is Sulphamic acid .
A cupfull in 2 pints of warm water will remove every bit of grease and tarnish from jackets and make them grip the cores well.
I can see that it is a rebated bottail , however as far as I can see the flat base has an extra radius to the bottail edge.
This would behave like a double bottail. I don't mean that it is bad it might be real good it is hard to say . How good the bullet is will show up during shooting .