• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pics of QPQ (Melonite) treated barrels

wadebrown

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    Here is a pic of two barrels and a muzzle brake that I had QPQ treated as discussed in this thread http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1673958#Post1673958
    QPQ_barrels.jpg

I decided to post the pics as I had no idea what the finish looked like when the barrels were treated with the QPQ process. The barrels have a very uniform matt finish that looks very similar to a very deeply blued barrel. The picture does not do justice to the quality of the finish. I will probably not do anything further to the finish of the barrels.

I do not have anything to report regarding the accuracy of the barrels or whether it increases the life yet. I will try to keep folks aware of what my experiences with this new process is. One of the barrels is a 6mm BR that will go on my F-class rig for 300 yards. The other barrel, and muzzle brake, are a 338 Edge.

I will start shooting the 6mm BR tomorrow as I develop loads for it and I will probably have a couple rounds through it by Summer's end. It will take longer to accumulate rounds on the Edge as I do not have much opportunity to reach beyond 1,000 yards and I already have easier ways to accurately get to 1k right now.

Re: Pics of QPQ (Melonite) treated barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is my surgeon in 243, the action and barrel are both nitrocarburized

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG
    </div></div>

Get some rounds down range.....really want to hear how this works out.

How you liking the stock Adam?

Sorry for the thread derailment.

I have been quoted 1 week turn around. What was the actual time frame from when you put the parts in the mail to the time you got them back?

I mailed the barrels with the post office first class on Monday and got the barrels back in exactly two weeks.