• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing pic's of well used hunting rifle's

dbateman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
Mt Isa QLD, Australia
I just made a post a bout a rifle I own and all the memories I have with it , I dont have many pic's of animals I have shot but do have these they are from about 11 or so years ago I had just got the rifle in the pic's the darker of the two I remember shooting him at about 240-250 yd's on the run as there were a mob of cattle behind him when I first seen him and had to wait for him to pass them so I could get a safe shot and the lighter colour one was trotting broadside at around 150yrd's about to go over a hill , If I remember correctly. pic quality is not that grate I scanned the pic's it was before digital camera's where around .

IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg

Rifle is a M77 mk11 chamberd in 308win toped with a Tasco 2.5-10x42 scope with a mil dot ret , it's not ffp .
It is a very basic set up light weight thin barrel have shot countless animals with it .

and this is what the rifle look's like today as I just pulled it out of the safe .
P1000705.jpg

P1000703.jpg

P1000704.jpg

P1000701.jpg
The pics don't do it justice it is a well worn hunting rife been carried a field many many time's it's shot out of bull catchers , choppers bike's and foot , it never let's me down .

I wish I had more pic's , I have a digital camera now so I am going to take pic's of things .

Anyone else got a well used hunting rifle ?

Re: pic's of well used hunting rifle's

no its not you it is bent like I said it has spent it's life in bull catchers and working. It still hit's what I am aiming at and I actually have more than one scope like that.

It has been in at least three roll overs that I can think of off the top of my head

Edit : here is another one .

P1000715.jpg

P1000711.jpg

P1000708.jpg

It is because whan you are in a bull catcher you have two rifle's with you an open sight gun and a scoped gun , the open sigh gun dose most of the work
and need's to be easily accessible as it is what you use when somthing want's to hurt you . IE: bull's and buffalo

Your scoped rifle is stored jammed between the seat's in the front of a landcruser or some people lay them across the cab under the front of the seat's , but I found that I could not get at it when U needed to as it would be under my leg's , the damage is from the gear stick tying to get the gun out in a hurry . they still work and it dose not affect sight picture of accuracy .

I have at least one more scope like that around here it is a 3-9x

I grew up in the Northern Territory great place to grow up all the fishing hunting and anything else a young fella want's to do .

This is me at about 17yr's old in the yard don't know what the hell I am pointing at .
IMG_0010.jpg

one of the many set's of yards
IMG_0004.jpg

yarding cattle

IMG_0006.jpg

and a picture from the jump up as far as you can see in this pic is still on one property

IMG_0003.jpg

The property is about 3500 square kilometre or 1351 square mile's , and 105 mile's to the closest town .

Damn..
I'll never complain about having to drive 30 minutes to get to town again.
Beautiful place.

Dbateman, I have a dumb question. Just curious.
Do people eat roo's like a deer or is it considered to be like a big rodent?

People do eat Kangaroo meat it is sold in some supermarkets and restaurants over here , it is not as popular a beef .

I will bet a lot of people have eaten it and thought it was beef , it is a red meant very lean .

Some people also eat Wallaby .

scan0006-10.jpg

scan0016-7.jpg

scan0080.jpg

scan0034-2.jpg

scan0020-6.jpg

scan0012-4.jpg

scan0008-5.jpg

scan0023-2.jpg

scan0011-2.jpg

scan0059.jpg

This one is a little special to me...some of these pictures are 30 years ago.

L579 Sako in .220 swift. It wears barrel number eight at the moment. The last four tubes have been .220 swift AI.

Nice pics there guys. Amazing what a person can do with a rifle that they handle every day.

I used to have an old rancher buddy (he's gone now) that carried an old 270, M70 in the rack of his truck. The rack had worn groves in the stock that were probably a 1/4" deep. The bedding could not have been good and the scope looked abused at best but he could pick off yotes and mule deer better than anyone I've ever seen.

Yes, old rifles have a special place.

PGS thats what I am talking about , thanks for taking the time to share them .

mdesign you are right old gun's do have a special place .

This one looks pretty good after I refurbished it a few years back with a new stock, new scope, and bobbed the barrel. It's a 90+ year old .30-06 Model of 1917, built by Winchester. Used by four generations of my family, my youngest son has taken a shine to it of late. Yeah, it doesn't look real old and beat up anymore, and it shoots pretty darned good - but it's got a lot of history behind it, the past 60+ years with my family.

023-1.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

003-4.jpg

I started shooting it in 1966. My Grandfather and father both used it, initially buying it shortly after WWII, surplus, then "sporterizing" it back in the late 1940's. Dad and Grandpa both used it for NRA Highpower match shooting in the 1950's as well. It's good to see the young man taking it up too. I offered him a new rifle, but he likes the old warhorse.

Guy