• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pictures from today's match

Re: Pictures from today's match

That looked like fun!! How far was the longest target? Was it the hanging yellow square? Also, where is your range?

Great pics. Looks like a lot of fun. Didn't you used to shoot the sako/lilja combo? Why the switch to the 10/22?

sold it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great pics. Looks like a lot of fun. Didn't you used to shoot the sako/lilja combo? Why the switch to the 10/22? </div></div>

Mark, thanks for the links to those great pics. The guy with the standard weight bbl 10/22, is he competitive with that rig? Also, I think you should ease off the guy with the Izhmash 7-4. I want one of those, and I suppose a potato stake is better than a tomato stake? They are supposed to be extremely accurate, and fast to shoot with the toggle bolt. If I were closer to Santa Barbara (home of MT Guns, an Izhmash dealer), I would probably already have one.

Looked like three bolt rifles to me. The guy with the green shirt, the guy with the Izhmash, and another guy with a laminated stock/blued bolt action setup.

I didn't see a Ferrari in the parking lot photo. Probably doesn't have room enough to carry the shooting irons.
wink.gif

Ed Eckhoff is arranging a tactical .22 match at the Sac'to Valley Shooting Center, and has held at least one if I recall correctly. Also a prone match, i.e. smallbore Palma if you will. I gotta get out there and try that. I'm thinking my Anschutz 1411 (single shot) will be too slow for a tactical match...

As match director mine didn't count (green shirted guy) I was demonstrateing the stages. But yes I do shoot a bolt, won't be changing to a semi, and intend to shoot a bolt at SCPRC.

The "potato stake" remark was done purely in jest. That Izhmash biathalon is a very fine rifle and the owner is a very accomplished shooter. The toggle bolt action has to be tried to be believed. It is THAT slick and fast...

From the only "real bolt action" at the match.... The blued Savage MKII
grin.gif

What sort of ammo seems to be par for the course? I like Aguila for bang for the buck, but I've not tried any really expensive stuff yet (and hope not to, if I can avoid it).

Most of the regulars use Wolf MT/ME (SK Std+/Match). Shooter65 was using Lapua Midas. Everyone is looking to balance performance versus price. Wolf MT seems to strike the best balance.

You are welcome. Bill runs one hell of a fine match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooter65,

Thanks for sharing this.God i wish we had matches like that here! </div></div>

Thanks for another great day at the range, Bill. Thanks for the pics, Mark.

I think there were only 3-4 autos the first time I came out to a rimfire match late last year. Now it looks like the 10/22's are becoming the Borg gun for these matches. It is useless to resist. You will be assimilated.
wink.gif

I still have my eye on a CZ452, but how do I sneak it into the house without my wife noticing?

Damn do I miss those matches! If only you would consult my social secretary so I didn't keep having schedule conflicts.

One of these months I'll be back out there with you guys.

can't take credit for the "potato stake" term. the owner is credited for this term.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark, thanks for the links to those great pics. The guy with the standard weight bbl 10/22, is he competitive with that rig? Also, I think you should ease off the guy with the Izhmash 7-4. I want one of those, and I suppose a potato stake is better than a tomato stake? They are supposed to be extremely accurate, and fast to shoot with the toggle bolt. If I were closer to Santa Barbara (home of MT Guns, an Izhmash dealer), I would probably already have one.

Looked like three bolt rifles to me. The guy with the green shirt, the guy with the Izhmash, and another guy with a laminated stock/blued bolt action setup.

I didn't see a Ferrari in the parking lot photo. Probably doesn't have room enough to carry the shooting irons.
wink.gif

Ed Eckhoff is arranging a tactical .22 match at the Sac'to Valley Shooting Center, and has held at least one if I recall correctly. Also a prone match, i.e. smallbore Palma if you will. I gotta get out there and try that. I'm thinking my Anschutz 1411 (single shot) will be too slow for a tactical match... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RimfireJunky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for another great day at the range, Bill. Thanks for the pics, Mark.

I think there were only 3-4 autos the first time I came out to a rimfire match late last year. Now it looks like the 10/22's are becoming the Borg gun for these matches. It is useless to resist. You will be assimilated.
wink.gif

I still have my eye on a CZ452, but how do I sneak it into the house without my wife noticing? </div></div>
Just bring it in the house with no comment and put with the rest of them.

Shooter65,

If possible would you post the COF? Looking to develop a couple diffrent COF's and always interested in what others are doing. COF to include position, support, range to target, round count, and any time restrictions, and penalties to be assessed. Thank you for posting feedback and pictures, looks like a good time had by all.

Take care,

Danel

APS – 11-01-08 – 22LR Tac/Prec Match Report

On November 1, 2008 we had our monthly 22LR Tac/Prec Rifle Match. This month, as in September, we had a 12:00 noon start time instead of early morning, which I believe will be our norm, at least through the winter month. Today’s weather was less than ideal, with waves of heavy rain, drizzle, thunder, lightening, mud and standing water. Despite the conditions the shooters hung, got themselves and their equipment soaked and muddy and shot some pretty good score. I did call the match during one of the heaviest downpours, but it lasted only about 15 minutes and we were back at it.

The match was followed by an early dinner of lasagna, Parmesan chicken, pasta salad and brownies prepped and provided by my wife. I have to take a moment to thank her as she not only put together, prepped and served the food, she also volunteered to work the office today so the match could go forward (we were again short handed due to the gun show in Ventura).

Plaques were awarded to the top three competitors as follows: First Place – Randal Rausch; Second Place – Mark Edgreen; Third Place – Wes Chilton.

The following is a breakdown of the courses of fire:

*The competitors did not zero their weapons as part of the match. However targets had been set op for them at yardages 50, 75, 100 and 150 yards for them to do so prior to the match.

Stage I –III DOT DRILLS 75, 100 and 150 yards

The first three stages were all five shot drills. The shooters had 1 minute to place four or five shots (depending on the number of dots) on the respective targets. We had a wide variety of scores including several cleaning the respective targets. The dots at 75 (Stage I) yards were 1.5”, at 100 (Stage II) yards 2”, and at 150 (Stage III) yards 4” (4” Post-It square) These stages were shot all at once with a total par time of 5 minutes.

Stage IV – ZOMBIES

In this stage the shooters engaged four zombies at a range of approximately 50 yards from a prone position. Of course the only way to kill a zombie is shoot them in the head, which in this case was about 1.25” in diameter. The zombies did not fair well in this stage, in fact I believe just about all competitors cleaned this stage. Par time was 1 minute.

STAGE V – BARRICADE

In this stage the shooters engaged five targets at 48 yards from behind a low wall in the standing position supporting their rifles on the wall. The shooters started squatting behind the wall and rose to a firing position at the buzzer. The targets were 2” dots with a 1” center scoring area. The inner ring counted as 20 points and the outer ring was 10 points. The par time on this was 1 minute

STAGE VI – TARGET ID – HOSTAGE RESCUE

In this course of fire the shooters faced 14 separate shapes of which 10 were bad guys and four were innocents. The four innocents were of a different shade of grey than their captures. The shooters had to determine who was friend and who was foe and dispose of the foe. The targets had two scoring areas, an inner circle worth 10 points, and an outer area worth 5 points. There was also a dot in the inner circle, which was considered the X ring. If hostage was hit it was a <25 points. The shooters had a total of 2 minutes. While no one cleaned this stage there was one 95, a couple 90s and quite a few 85s. The yardage was 47 yards. Any ties in over all scoring was decided first by the score on this stage then by the X count.

STAGE VII – 50 YARD 5 DOT DRILL

In this stage the shooters engaged five ¾ in dots in prone from 50 yards with a 1-minute par time.

** It should be noted that the weather turned nasty during stages VI and VII and most shooters, especially the ones at the end of the shooting order, shot these stages in a pouring rain.

STAGE VIII – KNOW YOUR LIMIT – 53 YARDS

This stage was a “know your limit” with a total of four dots ranging in size from 1.25” decreasing to .5”. The rules were that you could stop anywhere in the process you wanted but if you missed you zeroed your score for the entire target. Learning a hard lesson from last weekends HP match several shooters either took one shot, and for the brave at heart, two shots and stopped.

STAGE IX – SITTING – 60 YARDS

In this stage the shooters engaged a Torso target, from the slung sitting position with a total of five shots. The par time on this was one minute. The target had three scoring areas, 20 points, 10 points and 5 points.

STAGE X – OFF HAND – 63 YARDS

In this stage the shooters engaged a 1/3 IPSC target, offhand with a total of five shots. The par time on this was one minute. The target had three scoring areas, 20 points, 10 points and 5 points.

Shooter65,
Thank you for posting the course of fire. There is a good balance of positions, distances, and different targets to keep everyone interested. Again I appreciate your time and as I get these matches squared away I will post them for review here to see if there are any improvements. I am currently working on three rifle matches for the Texas Police games (texaspolicegames.org) to be held June in Conroe area. The matches are 200 yard with reduced size targets service rifle match, patrol rifle match, and sniper match. I would like to introduce a .22 match next year to get more cops involved and provide another opportunity to get rounds down range.

Take care,

Danel

Shooter65,

Thank you for posting the course of fire ..... We are having our first 22lr precision tactical shoot next weekend . We have the course of fire set for that match but we're still looking for more ideas to keep thing fresh.

Mike