• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pictures of welded bolt handle

SDeadeye

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
What is involved in TIG welding a Rem 700 bolt handle to the bolt body? Does anyone have a picture of where people are welding them? I can TIG pretty well and have access to the best machine Miller makes, so I'm thinking it's something I can do myself. But, I may be missing something important and thinking that it is more simple than it actually is.

Thanks

Re: Pictures of welded bolt handle

Usually everywhere the bolt handle touches the bolt body except the front.

You will have to "V" out the attachment areas to keep from having weld build-up interfere with other areas. The under handle is the toughest as it will hit the body when closed is there is extra weld there. It is also hard to get into the area to weld. Use a small (.062 max) tungsten sharpened and be carefull and it will work fine. Be real carefull to get the timing right and make sure the bolt notch doesnt go into the trigger slot area when closed and cause cocking piece interference.

Sometimes tig welded bolt handles can still come off!!!!

This was not due to a poor installation, but rather a poor choice in bolt handle selection. The PTG straight threaded handle was installed, the problem is the cam extraction angle is very week and shallow. So while shooting I found I would have to slam the bolt handle up and back to get it to extract properly. Well after running the intimadator course at Thunder Valley Precision I was busting up clay pigeons at 600 yards and just popped the tig welded handle off.

I had a factory Remington handle installed and it will be fine now. Here are some pictures.

DSC05809Large-1.jpg

DSC05810Large.jpg

DSC05811Large.jpg

DSC05812Large.jpg

DSC05813Large.jpg

DSC05814Large.jpg

DSC05815.jpg

Our testing has shown that a correctly soldered handle took more force to break than the tigged handle done similar to what was shown. Kevin Wyatt has been tigging the bottom after soldering and having good luck. Slamming up the handle will probably break most non one piece units. The extraction surfaces on factory rems are small and can cause issues if not perfect. That is why we rolled ours around to get double the area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our testing has shown that a correctly soldered handle took more force to break than the tigged handle done similar to what was shown. Kevin Wyatt has been tigging the bottom after soldering and having good luck. Slamming up the handle will probably break most non one piece units. The extraction surfaces on factory rems are small and can cause issues if not perfect. That is why we rolled ours around to get double the area. </div></div>

It was a learning experience using that handle and I wont use or recommend it due to the geometry of the extraction cam on it. I try to get my handles relocated forward and correctly and tig welded in place, every Remington one that I have had done works really well.

Dans40X has always treated me pretty good and does good work. I would recommend his work.

Mark

Why would you not just heat it up to get the joint to flow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you not just heat it up to get the joint to flow?</div></div>
Then the point that 'bendchuck' was trying to make, would be lost.
wink.gif

Still not understanding what point i was trying to make?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchduck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still not understanding what point i was trying to make? </div></div>

I think the point was that they're not as fragile and frail as internet lore has them out to be. That's what I took from it anyway.

Nice video.