• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Piecing together a new AR-15

Chris K

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Minnesota
I am going to undertake my first rifle build done entirely by myself, I've done parts here and there, lowers and such on my AR's over the years, but never built an entire rifle from parts. I'm deployed again and the tempo is pretty slow...not a lot going on where we are and as we "finish things up" over here it stands to get a bit slower, meaning I have a lot of time to think about what I want in a new AR for my trip home.

We have a group buy going through DPMS from a few of the guys here that work for them back home and instead of whole rifles I chose to get 2 lowers, a .223 and a .308. I figured since I have two off the shelf gas guns, why not take on projects and make what I want. I started on the .223 to fill a gap that I've always wanted; a mid range, GP gas gun for everything from prairie dogs to yotes, paper, steel etc.

I still want it short enough to go in and out of the truck but longer and more capable of down range accuracy than my carbine. I would have loved to build an SPR clone, but that is not a cheap build at all. I'm not going cheap but after reading some older posts I just don't want one THAT bad.

Here's where I am so far, suggestions are more than welcome, in fact that's what I'm soliciting. So please fire away!

UPPER
-JD Machine Tech stripped upper
-18" 1:7 Noveske SPR contour with headspaced bolt and gas block/tube
-JD Machine Free Float tube
-BCM Charging handle
-BCM Bolt Carrier (not listed as MPI and shot peened)
-Cam and Firing pins are DPMS from midway, I'd really like to hear opinions on these parts that improve the function and reliability of the BCG as a unit.
- I'm really lost for what to do for a muzzle device...I just cant make up my mind on that one. Im stuck between purely functional and asthetics/function.

LOWER
-DPMS lower
-LMT SOPMOD stock
-DPMS lower parts kit
-Chip McCormick Flat front trigger
-MIAD Pistol Grip
-buffer...again, would like some input on buffers.

Plan to run LC brass and heavier bullets, 77SMK's or A-Max if I can get them to mag length, 70gr Barnes TSX, etc.

Anything you guys got would be helpful, thanks!

C_K

Re: Piecing together a new AR-15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris_K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here's where I am so far, suggestions are more than welcome, in fact that's what I'm soliciting. So please fire away!

UPPER
-JD Machine Tech stripped upper <span style="color: #CC0000">- Fine choice they supply Centurion and Noveske (most recently I believe). Most uppers would work for you though. I do have a Centurion barrel mounted in JD upper and has been great.</span>
-18" 1:7 Noveske with headspaced bolt and gas block/tube <span style="color: #CC0000">- Really nice I would go with the LW/3G profile to make it a bit more maneuverable</span> (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...ce=&status=)
-JD Machine Free Float tube <span style="color: #CC0000">- Never used one, but might want to check out Troy TRX EXtreme, VTAC EXtreme, or DD MRF. The DD MRF has a very secure clamping mechanism. All are lighter than the JD machine version. NOt saying JD's version is bad just never used it.</span>
-BCM Charging handle
-BCM Bolt Carrier (not listed as MPI and shot peened) <span style="color: #CC0000">- they are g2g</span>
-Cam and Firing pins are DPMS from midway, I'd really like to hear opinions on these parts that improve the function and reliability of the BCG as a unit. <span style="color: #CC0000">- No experience sorry I have avoided DPMS parts for some reason</span>
- I'm really lost for what to do for a muzzle device...I just cant make up my mind on that one. Im stuck between purely functional and asthetics/function. <span style="color: #CC0000">- FH or Brake? For a brake that is not obnoxiously loud and does an OK job of FH aswell can't go wrong with Battle Comp. You can always put a $15 A2 on their until you decide what you really want.</span>

LOWER
-DPMS lower
-LMT SOPMOD stock
-DPMS lower parts kit <span style="color: #CC0000">- DD, G&R Tactical, and Stag ranked in order of my preference of ones I have used. However, you could also check out Palmetto State Armory. Quite a few people report great results with their LPK's. They even sell them without FCG which might be of interest sine you are looking to get another trigger.</span>
-Chip McCormick Flat front trigger <span style="color: #FF0000">- Geissele SD-E would be worth a look and would be my choice for a flat trigger in this type of build. SSA-E (curved version) is excellent also.</span>
-MIAD Pistol Grip
-buffer...again, would like some input on buffers. <span style="color: #CC0000">- BCM buffers are g2g. I would go with an H. Another although more pricey option would be getting a VLTOR a5 buffer system. $115 for A5 vs approx $80 for a std carbine tube/buffer. The a5 system must be tried to be believed how nice it is. Tried a friends and switched all mine as fast as I could.</span>

Plan to run LC brass and heavier bullets, 77SMK's or A-Max if I can get them to mag length, 70gr Barnes TSX, etc. <span style="color: #FF0000">- I have had great results with 77 Noslers too.</span>

Anything you guys got would be helpful, thanks!

C_K

</div></div>

My comments in red. Sorry if I am busting your budget a little. I have or had a rifle with all of the parts I recommended with the exception of the Palmetto LPK, that particular Noveske barrel and DD MRF.

Things like triggers and muzzle devices can always be upgraded later.

Good Luck with the build and get home safe.

Palmetto St is a wonderful find, thanks! that makes my lower so much easier. I have the SOPMOD, its coming off a carbine I have so I need a stock for that one, too easy with their kits.

The JD Machine FF tube I already have, its the cylindrical FF hand guard, no full length rails, just rail panels up front. Its not a duty gun nor do I have the need for attaching half the planet to the end of my gun
laugh.gif
and I win the weight category with the SPR contour barrel.

Thanks on the buffer info, I'll have to do a little looking at the two.

Breaks vs flash hiders...I'm not sure of what I want, I guess I'm conflicted. A break is nice but so many vent out to the shooters on my right and left, not a huge issue but an issue none the less. A good flash hider that manages some recoil I guess is what I'm looking for, I have been eyeing the troy industries claymore, but haven't read any great things about it. I wonder sometimes if its not a really aggressive looking but not all that hard working piece of kit on the end of a rifle.

BattleComp's are outstanding I have no doubt, but I'd rather spend that extra money on the trigger if/ when I go Geissele. I'll pick one out eventually, but it's a bit of a minor hang up for me at the moment...but I have about 9 more months to think about it.
crazy.gif

Thanks for the help,

C_K

For a comp/flash combo try the Rainier Arms XTC. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?i...&groupid=54 It functions just like the PWS FC556 but with better muzzle control. Atleast thats what I've been told by several people who have owned/tried both. Also it's not very expensive. I use one myself and love it! Only thing I've considered swapping it out for is the BC 2.0 which accepts the Gemtech Halo suppressor.

Sounds like it will be a sweet rig. Have you thought about which gas block yet? I went with a pri adjustable one but now I'm wishing I would have gone with the noveski. Just something to think about if you ever plan on running it with a muffler.

just a warning, dont install yer front reciver pin detent over thick green shag carpeting and launch it skword in a ricocheting type fashion. its jhard to findit and when you chuck a drill into yer vice to redneck lathe a replacement out of a common drillbit, dont reach across the work with yer offhand for a file with which to bevel off the sharp edges of frsh cut bit. eet done feel so weel.

I bought a cheapie gas block from Brownells and I like it, especially for the price. It's a Sadlak.

The gas block will be Noveske, the bbl is a package that is the bolt, block, tube, and barrel.

So far the muzzle device is an AAC Breakout 51T, if MN ever gets its head out of its butt hole and allows us to have cans, I can put an AAC on and get busy that way. But I'll definitely check out that Rainier device.

Thanks guys, it'll be a while, but I'll post pics as things come to life.

C_K