• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pierce 338 LM action and other questions!

Advokaten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2007
Malmö, Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
Like most in here I have been looking at the great reports of the 6,5 SAUM that has been all over this place,
I had a 6.5-284 Win project that I cancelled last year due to me failing to find a nice action to build around.

However the story and life goes, I might have a shot at a Pierce 338LM action and I intend to build a 338LM, just because I know they will not be permitted for long here.
As that idea has developed in my mind the idea of making it a switchbarrel 338LM/6,5 SAUM system, would that be possible?
I know that there is a great difference in lenght of the cases, and that it´s against the idea of short actions for short rounds to use such a stubby case in a full lenght magnum action.

Second, I all ready have a SA Pierce, are there bolts available that allows the use of WSM/SAUM cartridges?

I am still looking around for further info on this matter, however should any one feel moved to help me along I would be very happy. Best regards Chris

As that idea has developed in my mind the idea of making it a switchbarrel 338LM/6,5 SAUM system, would that be possible?

Second, I all ready have a SA Pierce, are there bolts available that allows the use of WSM/SAUM cartridges?

Yes it is possible to do this. The bolt face is the main difference, so you would need to switch bolts too. PTG makes bolts, and I think they supplied parts for the original pierce actions. PTG can make bolts to spec or you can probably get what you need from pierce. You might consider the 338 RUM or 338/300 RUM also (a.k.a. 338 Edge). This uses the same bolt face as the WSM/SAUM and basically duplicates the lapua. Good luck.