• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pierced primer?

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
I have a GAP built 223 on a remington 700 action. I only have about 200 rounds through this gun now. I took the gun out today to test some handloads. I cleaned the gun, then shot 5 rounds of Hornady TAP ammo. Then I shot 50 rounds of my handloads. No problems with any of the ammo yet. Then I decided to try some factory Laupa ammo. Well the first round with that I had a pierced primer. This is the first time it has ever happened to me. I am wondering what could have caused it? Just a hot load from Laupa? Problem with the firing pin? Is the gun safe to shoot some more?

Re: Pierced primer?

Probably not your nor your rifle's fault. With the prior experience...look to the ammo. Nobody's perfect. Except him. JMHO

If you are running a Jewell trigger be warned that they really do not like pierced primers. I broke mine three times before I fixed my piercing issue.

+1 on what Sandbogg said. I would suggest using magnum primers in your load development. The cups are much thicker= reduced primer issues.
YMMV-Rob

I am using Magnum primers but none of my reloads had a pierced primer. It was only on factory laupa loaded round that had it happen.