• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pin and Weld Muzzle Device removal

sjbryan65

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Franklinton, NC
Anybody know of a good company to send an AR upper to get a pin and welded muzzle device removed and new one installed. The one I have used in the past mills off the old one and there is a good chance some of the threads will be damaged that way. Looking for someone reputable that could do it without damaging threads.... Thanks!

Anybody know of a good company to send an AR upper to get a pin and welded muzzle device removed and new one installed. The one I have used in the past mills off the old one and there is a good chance some of the threads will be damaged that way. Looking for someone reputable that could do it without damaging threads.... Thanks!
Try D.Wilson Manufacturing. A good friend is happy with the work that D.Wilson has done.

https://www.dwilsonmfg.com/Pin-and-Weld_p_18.html

Depends on who did the P&W.

Some shops proudly use hardened tool steel pins and it’s very hard to just drill out the weld and the pin. You really do have to use an angle grinder or similar. These places choose to go above and beyond the legal requirements set forth by the ATF… for some reason.

While other places use soft metals, like pieces of coat hangers for the pins. They meet the requirements of the ATF while being much easier to drill out.

Yea this is a geissele super duty I want to convert from surefire to Huxwrx. Read a review on D.Wilsons site where a guy sent in a super duty and stated that the muzzle device came back with almost no damage to it so maybe Geissele isnt going above and beyond the requirements. That is my hope.

Reactions: PappyM3
Any reason not to just get a new barrel? I mean, between the cost of the surefire mb (which could get trashed) and the labor in the removal, how much are you really out with getting a new barrel?

That is worth considering but its only about $100 to get it done and the SF is literally of no use to me so I think swapping them out is the way to go for me.

Last one I took off spun right off with a wrench, which I tried just for the heck of it. The pin wasn't even all the way through the comp, let alone into the barrel. I was not happy.
Oh man… and then there’s that level, where it is non-compliant.

I’m wondering if you would be out of compliance with a poor job.

I’m wondering if you would be out of compliance with a poor job.
If the person didn’t meet the minimum requirements set forth by the ATF, yes. Doesn’t matter if you paid someone to do it.

Now, would they have a successful case for prosecution? I doubt it.

IF the BATFE is tacking on pin&weld violations one has a lot more Federal G-men legal problems than any minor unintentional assembly infraction.

Retro Arms. John Thomas there does an excellent and very, very quick job. Sent a P&W upper to him to remove the MD and P&W a new one on. Sent out on a Monday and had it back in hand by Friday. Twice I have used Retro and both times I go my work completed and back within a week.

IF the BATFE is tacking on pin&weld violations one has a lot more Federal G-men legal problems than any minor unintentional assembly infraction.
But it would suck if it’s the one thing they can get to stick. Also, don’t underestimate the federal government’s will to find something to screw you over, for any number of reasons.

Retro Arms. John Thomas there does an excellent and very, very quick job. Sent a P&W upper to him to remove the MD and P&W a new one on. Sent out on a Monday and had it back in hand by Friday. Twice I have used Retro and both times I go my work completed and back within a week.
Thanks for another good option.

Just put the barrel in a lathe, indicate it in, and with a carbide tool, turn it off. If a hardened Dowell pin was used lower RPM, over that area.
Install new muzzle device, over old threaded area, (may have to chase threads, first, over drilled pin area).. ...re pin & weld, new muzzle device.