• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Pin and weld

Lmatt

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2017
Idaho
How bad of an idea is this? After getting my Helix and seeing it next to my Ultra 5 I find myself thinking I need shorter barrels. I ordered a couple adj gas blocks and with all the threads with gas blocks failing I assume it would be recommended to use a standard gb and tune through buffer and springs?? I was going to get some longer Ultra’s, but maybe I should just get more Ultra 5’s. I just pulled the trigger on a standard ddm4 v7 because it was a good deal. I wanted a lw, but thought I could just cut down the mil-spec barrel instead. I’m now thinking that’s a bad idea and should probably either get a pistol or add another stamp to the collection.

It is not necessarily a "bad" idea. Its just a pain in the but that we have to deal with it. I have had several 14.5 pin/weld rifles and they have all been great and I have never had a problem with gas blocks failing. But, it can get annoying being married to that muzzle device.

Yeah, the permanent mount is another issue. I guess that’s where something like an area 419 would shine. Although it doesn’t look like it would add enough length to be worth the hassle.

When you go shorter it is an option to buy (for example) a 14.5" barrel, chop it down to 11" or 10" and just drill the gas port correctly for the length. This will give you a much better starting point then most (not all) barrels since the trend is to oversize the gas port which a reason why adjustable gas blocks are so popular (other reasons, but this is a big one too).

Did this exact thing recently and was easily able to tune it with spring/buffer from there with a normal gas block. One of my softest shooting rifles now.

Reactions: Lmatt
Did you just start small and go one size at a time, or was this your smith’s project.

Did you just start small and go one size at a time, or was this your smith’s project.

I am my own smith so yes to both haha.

I knew I was cutting mine to 10.3" and the optimum with hot loads (wolf gold, mil rounds, etc.) is .070". If you are running suppressed .070 will work with majority if not all factory loads as well. Tons of info around the net on optimum gas port size. ADCO will do both the chop, size and mount your block if you want them to. Easy to talk with and get what you need.

Just know their gas port answer will depend on the type of ammo you intend to use. The reason gas ports are oversized is to work with even the weakest factory ammo. If you stick with M193, M855 type ammo, blackhills, wolf gold or load to the upper end then you can go smaller on your port size.

Reactions: Lmatt
Pinning suppressors sucks.

Just build a pistol with an 11.in barrel, use one of the SBA braces, and an adjustable gas block. Don't fuck around cutting the barrel just buy new ones, there are plenty of good cheap ones out there.

Different strokes for different folks. We have a couple pin and weld demos with no issues. Besides avoiding the Form 1 stamp, you can also take it across state lines without doing a 5320.20.
Please elaborate on the 'take it across state lines without doing a 5320.20' Ignorant me?‍♀️ thinks I always have to do this.?

Please elaborate on the 'take it across state lines without doing a 5320.20' Ignorant me?‍♀️ thinks I always have to do this.?
If its not a NFA machinegun, SBR, SBS, or Destructive Device then you dont have to fill out the form for transport of NFA machinegun, SBR, SBS, or Destructive Devices...
1581006509848.png

Last edited:
The TBAC 556 Takedown can is perfect for this application. Front end serviceable so you can pin and weld it but still had access to the can for cleaning or baffle rotation.
I have the DSU and I love it.

Use an MRP since it can be taken down to service the gas system. Or standard handguards. Cut a barrel down, the port will still be too large. Use a low pressure can.

Pinning suppressors sucks.

Just build a pistol with an 11.in barrel, use one of the SBA braces, and an adjustable gas block. Don't fuck around cutting the barrel just buy new ones, there are plenty of good cheap ones out there.
I second this, SBA3 is an sbr killer when it comes ARs