• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pin and welds with a stick welder

unclemoak

d.wilson mfg
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2008
Englewood, CO
www.dwilsonmfg.com
I get asked a lot of questions about pin and welds, so today I taught myself to stick weld and the results weren't half bad. These was part of a how to video I'm doing on pin and welds to show the results from various types of welders.

astCr2c.jpg

ZZu1PFP.jpg

These are my typical tig pin and welds.
jQsRzEZ.jpg

I think a stick welder would be my last choice. Heat affected zone is way bigger than I would want on a barrel. To much spater no matter what rod your using. Definetly a TIG job.

I think a stick welder would be my last choice. Heat affected zone is way bigger than I would want on a barrel. To much spater no matter what rod your using. Definetly a TIG job.

I would agree. I’ve done something like 350+ pin and welds this year with my tig.

Since people ask, I was curious enough to try and see how well it would turn out with a stick welder.

In that case. That came out way better than I would have predicted. What rod did you use? Looks like a 6010 or 6011?

6010 would have a ton of splatter, 6011 would be better but 6013 would be even better. 7018 might be the best though

6010 would have a ton of splatter, 6011 would be better but 6013 would be even better. 7018 might be the best though

This was 1/16” 6011. I tried it on a whim because I’d seen a few comments about it being easy to strike and arc with.

Honestly, yesterday was the first time I’ve ever stick welded, so I’d call that relatively successful.

This was 1/16” 6011. I tried it on a whim because I’d seen a few comments about it being easy to strike and arc with.

Honestly, yesterday was the first time I’ve ever stick welded, so I’d call that relatively successful.

6011 is a really forgiving rod to use because it is easy to strike an arc with. I'd recommend welding a little with the rod on a separate plate to get it burnt in a little before using it to tack, as that's all your really trying to do when pin and weld. 6013 is designed to have less penetration(burn colder) than 6011 so personally I would prefer it for something like this but 7018 penetrates even less so if you were going to buy rods for this purpose, might as well be 7018.

I have welded a few pin jobs, and I always grab my tig welder. I tip my hat for even trying stick.

Professional Welder here....step away from the stick welder...

That’s tig job all day, and I’m a pro with a stick welder