• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pinning Front sight

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So, I have a spare upper and a ballistic advantage barrel socom barrel. I took it off a different build, and replaced with a criterion. Can't just have it sitting here. I want to do a build with a front sight gas block. Because I don't have one and it's growing on me.

Can anyone point me to a good instructional video on how to do this? YouTube isn't helping me too much. Either that, or an option other than JP for a clamp on? The JP is very nice, but I'm not putting a gas block that's more expensive than the barrel on this build. Thanks!

I just sent one off last week to ar15barrels.com to have a front sight pinned. I'll post up once I get it back.
    I just looked at that website. Their prices are very cheap. It has me contemplating getting a cheap barrel, and sending it to them with a FSB, because the ballistic advantage I have is a steaming pile of garbage anyway.

Regarding the pinning of a FS..... you will need a jig to hold everything in place and align so it's not canted to one side or the other. Unless you are a machinist with the associated shop, you are better off using one that clamps.

I have one that took an original forged FS and was drilled and tapped where the pins normally located. Grade 8 allen head cap head screws were used to "clamp" it around the barrel. It has never moved since I installed it. You have to look closely to see that it is not pinned! I'll look for a link and see if they are still available.

Regarding the pinning of a FS..... you will need a jig to hold everything in place and align so it's not canted to one side or the other. Unless you are a machinist with the associated shop, you are better off using one that clamps.

I have one that took an original forged FS and was drilled and tapped where the pins normally located. Grade 8 allen head cap head screws were used to "clamp" it around the barrel. It has never moved since I installed it. You have to look closely to see that it is not pinned! I'll look for a link and see if they are still available.
    Awesome! Thank you!

Tagging in. I’d like to know how to install a free float rail with a pinned FSB.

These are probably the easiest way to do it. I have a 7" pic rail on my 16" carbine with a carbine length gas system and a fixed/pinned FSB. Neither the FSB nor the flash suppressor ever came off to install.

Last edited:
    These are probably the easiest way to do it. I have a 7" pic rail on my 16" carbine with a carbine length gas system and a fixed/pinned FSB. Neither the FSB nor the flash suppressor ever came off to install.

Thanks, I’m primarily looking at the DD RIS-2 rails. All I hear is how durable they are compared to the norm. Currently using a BCM MCMR, kinda considering going full quad rail.

Thanks, I’m primarily looking at the DD RIS-2 rails. All I hear is how durable they are compared to the norm. Currently using a BCM MCMR, kinda considering going full quad rail.
    To my knowledge the DD Omega is the only FF rail available (at least in the US) that doesn't require the FSB to come off for installation.

And I searched long and wide before I came to that conclusion.

Reactions: PBWalsh
    ARFCOM has some old threads on FSB pinning, but the pics are long gone. Here's a YouTube vid that's OK: FSB pinning There's an alignment hack using a single dimple on the barrel, tap and set screw the hole under the sling swivel, then drill/taper/pin the front, remove the set screw and do the rear pin.

Removing a standard pinned FSB is pretty straight forward, you just need to know that
    the pins are tapered and go in and out only one way.

A redneck way to align and hold FSB is to mount barrel on an upper install FSB using locktite to
    hold it in position wait for it to cure then drill. It works.

Did not think anyone still wanted the standard pinned FSB.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    Removing a standard pinned FSB is pretty straight forward, you just need to know that

A redneck way to align and hold FSB is to mount barrel on an upper install FSB using locktite to

Its an aesthetic thing. I honestly just like how it looks. I blame the movie “Blackhawk Down” for my love affair with the A2 FSB.

Last edited:

it's iconic. It's the AR-15 emblem of Free America.

Reactions: PBWalsh
    So, I have a spare upper and a ballistic advantage barrel socom barrel. I took it off a different build, and replaced with a criterion. Can't just have it sitting here. I want to do a build with a front sight gas block. Because I don't have one and it's growing on me.

Can anyone point me to a good instructional video on how to do this? YouTube isn't helping me too much. Either that, or an option other than JP for a clamp on? The JP is very nice, but I'm not putting a gas block that's more expensive than the barrel on this build. Thanks!
    A very simple approach would be to use the ARMS #41 B, although you might not care for the sticker-shock.

colt_a4_with_arms_fsb_resized_001-2450420.jpg

arms_number_41B_01b_resized-2450419.jpg

To my knowledge the DD Omega is the only FF rail available (at least in the US) that doesn't require the FSB to come off for installation.

And I searched long and wide before I came to that conclusion.
    It is possible to install the Centurion rails without removing the FSB, but unlike the DD Omega, you do have to snip-off the handguard retaining ring and delta ring assembly.

centurion_rail_with_fsb_01-2450429.jpg

omega_rail_02-2450430.jpg

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I would suggest sending the barrel to a gunsmith to pin the front sight base. Randal at ar barrels as mentioned or retro arms or ADCO are three off the top of my head. In regards to removing a FSB, it isn’t difficult and years ago I removed many to install a free float rail. However, when the 2 piece FF rails were introduced I used them. I also prefer the DD OMEGA rails. No need to remove the fsb nor the MD.

Midwest industries and centurion as well as others also offer 2 piece FF rails. I have used both the DD and the centurion. They both install in minutes and are solid. My preference, as stated is DD.

Cheers, Steve