• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pins for Lee Universal decqpping die

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
I've had a problem with the factory Lee decapping pin hanging up on case mouths when the case isn't perfectly aligned. So I chuck it up in the drill and contoured it fairly nicely with a file and sand paper. Question is, does anyone make a decapping pin to fit the Lee die that has a similar contour like my modified stem? I would hate to do this to every pin I have.

Attachments

• Snapchat-197575438.jpg
    Snapchat-197575438.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 67
I am not aware of any that are made with a contour. I also kinda fail to see the point. If the brass is not aligned properly in the shell holder and the decapping pin is catching on the case mouth, the decapping pin will not be aligned with the flash hole either, so you would have to reposition the brass regardless of the pin be contoured or not to avoid bending the pin and / or possibly enlarging, damaging or making a brand new flash hole.

No offense but it kinds sounds like a solution in search of a problem. JMHO, YMMV.

I am not aware of any that are made with a contour. I also kinda fail to see the point. If the brass is not aligned properly in the shell holder and the decapping pin is catching on the case mouth, the decapping pin will not be aligned with the flash hole either, so you would have to reposition the brass regardless of the pin be contoured or not to avoid bending the pin and / or possibly enlarging, damaging or making a brand new flash hole.

No offense but it kinds sounds like a solution in search of a problem. JMHO, YMMV.
I do agree 100%, although, the contour does save damaging the case mouth if it is miss aligned. Instead of the case mouth hitting the pin and hard stopping or rolling the case mouth, it gives you a "drag" feel. Which let's you know you're not aligned properly. After toying with it for a while it definitely keeps my sanity in tack lol

I've had a problem with the factory Lee decapping pin hanging up on case mouths when the case isn't perfectly aligned. So I chuck it up in the drill and contoured it fairly nicely with a file and sand paper. Question is, does anyone make a decapping pin to fit the Lee die that has a similar contour like my modified stem? I would hate to do this to every pin I have.
What cartouche are you reloading?

I have the problem on 223 brass, or any case mouth thats relatively small
Yeah ok.
I do recall my lee decapper pin catching occasionally on 223 brass but not excessively.
Have you checked the 223 cases for case length?

....the new "LEE HEAVY DUTY GUIDED DECAPPING PINS" all have the chamfer at the junction of the rod & pin....