• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pins vs Small hole gages?

dbliz

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2018
In all my years of surfing the reloading forums I have never read of anyone referring to using 'Small Hole Gages', for measuring case neck ID? I have used the pictured Starrett gages for 20+ years. There are many references to Pin Gauges, am I missing something? I have assumed the pin gauges are the classic solution looking for a problem.
I would love to hear your thoughts on my pin gauge question?

Attachments

• 20240131_092608.jpg
    20240131_092608.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 31
One of the reasons is what we call the uncertainty.

If you were to use an air gage setting ring to do what we call a Gage R&R with those, you would learn that while they are not bad, they are also not good. Pass the various methods around to well seasoned technicians and do a blind test, and you have your answers. They are just not as reliable as precision pins or mandrels, especially in something flexible and imperfect like a cartridge neck.

Even precision pins require some training and practice, but when it comes to using a pin gage for inspecting an ID, unless we are into advanced CMM methods or air gages, the pins are what is generally used because they have better uncertainty at a practical usage level.

Brass cartridge necks are flexible, and often have defects that challenge getting a single number ID with simple methods. Unless there is a reason, getting a single ID number with a pin is usually "good enough" for reloading. I am always skeptical of any values that are reported below 0.0005" unless they are done in a metrology lab or well equipped shop that can show the deviations from a perfect cylinder.

Now that many outfits offer precision mandrels in steps of 0.0005", most serious folks just use those to inspect their neck ID results.

With a good calibrated micrometer, you can see if the mandrel (or gage pin) is actually what is marked. Again, this is what we call "good enough" and pretty simple, but a sized neck will usually be within the next smallest mandrel size and that narrows the result to "close enough".

It is never easy inspecting precision holes when it comes to getting into the tenths digits, so do what works for you, but I would certainly say you should also try pins (Mandrels) for inspecting cartridge necks. YMMV.

Now that many outfits offer precision mandrels in steps of 0.0005", most serious folks just use those to inspect their neck ID results.
That would be me...well, not the "serious" part! haha

I just went with a set of Vermont Gauge pin gauges I got from Travers (+, class ZZ) for 6.5mm (.264) in .0005 increments. Do I use them all...no (but I saved on shipping! haha). But they will tell me what the ID is pretty damn accurately.

Reactions: RegionRat
Basically the equivalent to comparing calipers to micrometers. One is more accurate than the other once you get small enough. And one is more prone to errors based on feel/use.

However, you'll likely not see a performance difference between your gauges and pin gauges.