• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pipe Smoker's Assemble

Long_Action

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Michigan
As much as I love a great Cigar, or an outstanding Gin, I've come to appreciate a hot black cup of coffee while smoking from a pipe. The simplicity and reliability that comes from a stick is amazing, but I feel the smoothness from the pipe just can't be beat.

Much like the sunglasses you wear, a quality pipe is an extension of your soul. Our current cigar thread tends to rise and fall like sand through an hourglass. She may die a quick death, but I'd like to see if any of you Gentlemen are into the lost art of pipe smoking.

My last purchase was a traditional Peterson 05 Dublin Addition. For the younger kiddos on the block, you are truly missing out on life if you wait till grey shows in your beard, before you pickup a pipe!
20211120_151438.jpg

I have a collection of 7 or 8 really nice pipes. Peterson, Viking, salvenelli, etc. Unfortunately, it all tastes like shit to me now since the China virus fucked up my sense of taste.

Count me in on this. I love cigars, but pipes are where it’s at. So many different tobaccos that can’t be had in cigar form.

Speaking of that: anyone got a tin of Nightcap they want to sell? Will also go for 965 and Early Morning Pipe. And Squadron Leader.

My stash is way too low.

Pretty new to pipes but I have really enjoyed it so far. Bought my second pipe, a Savinelli, recently. Current favorite tobacco is Cult Blood Red Moon.

Walked toward it in 2001. Started on pipes. Never regretted the decision. But I also don’t smoke cigarettes and am not addicted to the nicotine. I realize some are or can be so no judgement. But I do enjoy some well aged latakia.

I really enjoy a nice pipe. I usually do a blend from a local shop, a mix of Cavendish and burl. Very smooth.

Another one here

Peterson and Salvinelli are my go to's. Anything with black cavendish is GTG, accompanied by some Gosling's Black Label on a cool fall or spring day when the sun is shining.

My gramps had a pipe and tobacco in his car. He never smoked anywhere else. When we got in the car, it was a good 5 minutes of cleaning the pipe, pulling the tobacco out, packing the pipe, lighting the pipe, couple of puffs. Then we could go.

I like a pipe. Smoke an old school 30 year old Gandolf looking pipe with a 12" stem. I smoke a cigar more often because they are more portable...like both. I crave it the most with a nice 2 or 3 fingers of good Irish.

I've have tried a pipe a few times in the past and really like it. Though it was a cheap corn cob pipe.
Any recommendations for a beginner on which pipe to buy and tobacco? I remember smoking Aristocrat i believe.

I've have tried a pipe a few times in the past and really like it. Though it was a cheap corn cob pipe.
Any recommendations for a beginner on which pipe to buy and tobacco? I remember smoking Aristocrat i believe.
Go for a simple burl wood pipe at your local tobacconist. No need to spend $500 on a pipe your first time out, $40 or way less is plenty good. A good blend that isnt around any more but they do have replicas of: My Mixture 965 by Dunhill. Has Cavendish and Latakia in it. Everyone likes the smell as well. You can also try Early Morning Pipe, Old Ironsides, Midnight Ride is a good one too. Penzance, if you can find it - grab it.

If you want to try some heavy nicotine stuff: Nightcap, 1792 flake (BE CAREFUL with this one),

I got tins of this shit laying in storage. They get SO much better with some age on them.

Wife can't stand the smell.

I love the flavors and smells.

I have to settle for having a decent cigar whenever I'm in Vegas. No real smoke shops here, and I figure it's healthier that way.

The only pipe tobacco the local smoke store sells is just cigarette tobacco that's rebranded to avoid taxes (why cigarettes and pipes are taxed different is beyond me). Tried it out of a corn cob pipe and it sucked.

Been a while but I was a daily pipe smoker for years. I still have all my pipes... A couple Pete's, a Savinelli or two, and some I can't even remember without looking.

The Pete's are nice. But honestly for partaking daily I have found it's hard to beat a Missouri Meerschaum cob. Takes a few smokes to settle them in but after that they're golden.

I've smoked lots of different tobaccos but I always come back to Virginia/Perique blends. Escudo is amazing but I usually smoked Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or Bullseye Flake.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Lol

Mike

Been a while but I was a daily pipe smoker for years. I still have all my pipes... A couple Pete's, a Savinelli or two, and some I can't even remember without looking.

The Pete's are nice. But honestly for partaking daily I have found it's hard to beat a Missouri Meerschaum cob. Takes a few smokes to settle them in but after that they're golden.

I've smoked lots of different tobaccos but I always come back to Virginia/Perique blends. Escudo is amazing but I usually smoked Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or Bullseye Flake.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Lol

Mike
Escudo. Highly recommended!

Love the smell of old original, aroma is embedded forever in my brains memory smell since childhood.
-

Original.jpg

-

Reactions: nikonNUT
Count me in on this. I love cigars, but pipes are where it’s at. So many different tobaccos that can’t be had in cigar form.

Speaking of that: anyone got a tin of Nightcap they want to sell? Will also go for 965 and Early Morning Pipe. And Squadron Leader.

My stash is way too low.
I think I have a tin of squadron leader that has been "resting" for a while I could turn loose of! If not would some Essoterica Penzance float your boat? I can help! I never got the Latakia thing until I tried House of Calabash Irishman's Five O'Clock! That stuff is out standing! As for pipes... More than I can count so just my faves. Ser Jacopo Hawkbill, Ardor Meteora, my custom Paul's Pipes reverse calabash canted poker, and a Kaywoodie "Giant" that I snagged off the 'bay for a pittance. Turns out it's damn rare and a great smoker! Tobacco? I can't even begin! Pick your posion! Ratrays? Peterson? OLD Edgeworth Slices a'la 70s vintage (Sooooo GOOD!)? McClelland? SG? I actually had two one pound tins of C&D 5 O'clock Shadow detonate in my baccy cupboard because the perique was still fermenting! Amazing and sad at the same time.

i always liked the smell of pipe tobacco but i don't smoke one.

I think I have a tin of squadron leader that has been "resting" for a while I could turn loose of! If not would some Essoterica Penzance float your boat? I can help! I never got the Latakia thing until I tried House of Calabash Irishman's Five O'Clock! That stuff is out standing! As for pipes... More than I can count so just my faves. Ser Jacopo Hawkbill, Ardor Meteora, my custom Paul's Pipes reverse calabash canted poker, and a Kaywoodie "Giant" that I snagged off the 'bay for a pittance. Turns out it's damn rare and a great smoker! Tobacco? I can't even begin! Pick your posion! Ratrays? Peterson? OLD Edgeworth Slices a'la 70s vintage (Sooooo GOOD!)? McClelland? SG? I actually had two one pound tins of C&D 5 O'clock Shadow detonate in my baccy cupboard because the perique was still fermenting! Amazing and sad at the same time.
Hold up - you got aged Squadron Leader? AND Penzance? We can definitely be friends. If you want to lighten your load I’ll send a PM and we can work it out.

Quick question for you experienced types here: anyone refurbished a pipe? I have one that I’m thinking about giving a helping hand. It’s super cheap burl, but it’s a smoker.

I’m getting a buddy of mine to try a pipe this hunting season instead of a cigar so I’m going to get him a light apple shape he can smoke while we duck hunt. He is about to understand how well a good pipe with a good burn can help keep the hands nice and warm.

Last edited:
Never really got into pipes myself, but my grandfather started selling them at his saloon during the depression. Wasn't long before it became his full time business. Last I heard, he was the only 6-time world champion pipe smoker. I entered a few contests years ago, didn't do too well. Still have a few pipes tucked away of my grandfathers' design, the Cayuga.

He died about 10 years ago, but my uncle cousin still runs the store. Never been anyone outside the family that worked there. That place smells AMAZING!

Last edited:
Never really got into pipes myself, but my grandfather started selling them at his saloon during the depression. Wasn't long before it became his full time business. Last I heard, he was the only 6-time world champion pipe smoker. I entered a few contests years ago, didn't do too well. Still have a few pipes tucked away of my grandfathers' design, the Cayuga.

He died about 10 years ago, but my uncle still runs the store. Never been anyone outside the family that worked there. That place smells AMAZING!
What is this design you speak of? We need details.

My stash is way too low.

Peterson 965 and Hyde Park are my two go to's for rillo rolling. I also add in a bit of dark fire-cured Kentucky burley. NOTE: Dark fired American tobaccos are VERY stout. Even light puffers are recommended to not use dark fired only blends as they pack a punch. My mix is about 10% dark fired and the rest is 965 or Hyde Park rolled in a single sheet Ecuadorian or Dominican leaf with no binder. Caliber: .452, LOL, since I use a .452 rammer from a .45 cal Remington New Model Army revolver as the former for the rillo leaf. Like others have said here too, I am not a habitual smoker nor am I addicted to nicotine. But a nice smoke while out in the woods or in the shop and a light-moderate nic hit is welcome on an occasional basis. Sometimes I'd have one a day, and then go for a few weeks without smoking, depending on how busy I am.

ETA: If you want to keep your tobaccos and cigars at razor sharpness all the time, use BOVEDA packs in your humidors or humi-cases. Unlike traditional humidifiers, BOVEDA packs are controlled hydration packs rated at various humidity levels that use hi tech films to ensure that the outside humidity always stays at the pack's rated level. If it gets too dry, the pack releases some water vapor until it reaches the specified level and if it is too humid, the pack reabsorbs some moisture and holds it in there for later use. You can tell if a pack has reached the end of it's service life when it is rock hard. Fresh packs are like ketchup packs, squeezable and with liquid content inside. When the pack becomes a slab of jerky, replace with a new one. They say that the packs are good for about 3 months after the outside plastic bag is opened, but mine have been ticking for over 2 years now and still moist and flexible.

Humidity levels:

62-68% is for cigars and pipe tobacco.
72-75% is for rehumidifying dried out cigars and tobacco.
84-86% is for "seasoning" the interior of a new humidor before use.
40-60% is for marijuana products.

Get your BOVEDA packs here:

Last edited:

My stash is way too low.

Replenish your supply here:

That's where I've been ordering my tobaccos from for a long time. They have a wide variety of American and UK blends. All Peterson lines, they carry. Out of stocks are rare and they get them back in really quick too. And they ship FAST. For those who blend their own, they have almost every kind of humidified and dry tobaccos in flake and cake form. These are sold by weight and come in bags so have a humidity controlled tupperdor or similar container ready to transfer the contents into once you receive it. 5 star rating from me for these guys.

What is this design you speak of? We need details.
Well, Cayuga is the name of it. I'm not sure if posting a link is gtg or not, since the shop is owned by a relative.

A quick search finds it easily.

Hold up - you got aged Squadron Leader? AND Penzance? We can definitely be friends. If you want to lighten your load I’ll send a PM and we can work it out.
So the Penzance and Squardon leader are eluding me at the moment but I have like 40 pounds of pipe tobacco to dig thru but in the meantime this ought to whet your Latakia whistle! :LOL:
IMG_6610.jpeg

Left to right...
C&D Pirate Kake jarred 01/13/13 10 years 10 months old. It's a lat BOMB!!! "A smooth, robust blend with lots (75%!) of exceptional latakia accompanied by Turkish and burley, Pirate Cake by Cornell & Diehl is a latakia lover's treasure." This stuff smells AMAZING!!!

C&D Bayou Night jarred 09/12 11 years 2 months old "A Scottish type blend of Latakia, perique, Virginias, Turkish, and burleys that boasts a heavier perique component than normally found in a classic Scottish blend. A full smoke that is surprisingly cool on the palate."

GL Pease Galight with an 04/21/14 tin date 9 years 6 months old. I think this one might float your boat! "From Gregory Pease: "Deep, rich and full flavored, Gaslight burns very slowly, delivering a lingering, satisfying smoke for the true connoisseur of latakia based blends. The red Virginias present a background of natural sweetness, whilst fine Orientals provide just the right amount of spice. I like it best sliced thinly, rubbed out and packed loosely in smaller bowls for a satisfying, surprisingly long-lasting smoke." Easily sliced, easily rubbed out and easily packed."

The "entire" Frog Morton collection from the gone but not forgotten McCelland stamped with an 02/15 date 8 years 9 months old.

Frog Morton Across the pond..."Remarkably cool-smoking, delightfully fragrant. Frog Morton journeyed far across the pond to find the exotic components for this rich, smooth pipe tobacco blend enhanced with rare Syrian Latakia. He says it was worth the trip."

Frog Morton's Cellar... A mellow, fragrant latakia blend aged with stave cubes cut from barrels used to mature and flavor Frog Morton's own special whiskeys. Just to add, there is really a chunk of barrel stave in the tin!

Frog Morton On the Town... A rather mellow smoke, McClelland's Frog Morton on the Town draws deep rich flavor from its base of golden and red Virginias and a pleasant smoky, earthy undertone from the latakia. A subtle flavoring from Basma (a Greek Oriental tobacco) gives the blend a unique, almost vanilla like flavor.

Frog Morton On the Bayou... When vacationing on placid waters of the Bayou, Frog Morton prefers this rich Balkan blend, to which he adds just enough precious Louisiana Perique. Smooth and dark and calming, a relaxing Balkan Blend.

Frog Morton... An exceptionally dark, rich and full Latakia Mixture designed for those who desire really satisfying Latakia flavor but want a pipe tobacco soft enough to smoke anytime. It took Frog Morton four years to perfect this unique blend designed for smoking in quiet serenity. It is his proudest achievement.

Let me know if any of this floats your boat and I'll hook you up! Sharing is caring! :D

Last edited:
Quick question for you experienced types here: anyone refurbished a pipe? I have one that I’m thinking about giving a helping hand. It’s super cheap burl, but it’s a smoker.

I’m getting a buddy of mine to try a pipe this hunting season instead of a cigar so I’m going to get him a light apple shape he can smoke while we duck hunt. He is about to understand how well a good pipe with a good burn can help keep the hands nice and warm.
I missed this one. So I have refurbed a pipe as follows. Through cleaning of the stem is done with pipe cleaners and alcohol. The outside of the stem can be cleaned up with tooth paste to remove crud and oxidizing. As for the bowl, I fill it with table salt and wet with isopropyl. Let it sit for 24 hours and dig it out with a pipe nail. This will sanitize the pipe and the salt will draw the old tar residue out. At this point you can work on scraping the old cake out of the bowl as it should be soft. Repeat this process once more and then rinse the bowl and body with water. Next (for me) is to wet the entire pipe minus the stem with isopropyl and set it on fire! No it won't hurt the briar or the finish but it will kill any nastys that might still be lurking! Last step (optional) is to take the pipe to a good tobacconist (Mine has been around for 50 years+) and have them buff the whole thing to a shine. Not necessary but a nice touch.

And just because. My favorite pipe. A Paul’s Pipes commission by a couple knuckle heads I know! 🤣 Reverse calabash canted poker. There is some magic going on between the bowl and the stem in the form of a cooling chamber. It's a joy to smoke!
IMG_6613.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Long_Action
Replenish your supply here:

That's where I've been ordering my tobaccos from for a long time. They have a wide variety of American and UK blends. All Peterson lines, they carry. Out of stocks are rare and they get them back in really quick too. And they ship FAST. For those who blend their own, they have almost every kind of humidified and dry tobaccos in flake and cake form. These are sold by weight and come in bags so have a humidity controlled tupperdor or similar container ready to transfer the contents into once you receive it. 5 star rating from me for these guys.
Peterson, eh? Perchance are you an Irish Flake fan? Another ass kicker but man I love it!!!

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
IMG_20231103_212752649.jpg

Been thinking about Escudo since I posted the other day... Made it happen tonight. Scored the last tin on the shelf.

Life is pretty good sometimes.

Mike

I was told arfcom was full of 'pipe smokers'.

Indeed, and a lot of them are also band members playing 'wind instruments'...

anim_lol.gif

Regarding @Rookie 's post, stuff like that IS a legitimate concern, true, and that is why on pipe and cigar forums, we talk a lot of taking care of health through consumption of adequate amounts of vegetables and powerful antioxidant fruits like red/green apples and blueberries. As well as using tobacco IN MODERATION. Hell, water is poisonous and will kill someone if they drank too much of it. Everything is about moderation and being smart. If you are drinking 2 liters of Coke or Mountain Dew every day, chomping down on McDs, chainsmoking Marlboros and sitting in front of a computer all day, you will have serious problems in no time. However, tobacco used in moderation, without inhalation, and in conjuction with a balanced and very healthy diet/lifestyle, is no worse than enjoying a can of Spam once in a while. As a matter of fact, getting ready to head off to work soon and I am rinsing and drying 3 Granny Smith apples to place in my duffel. Two will be a mid-afternoon snack and the third will be for when I get back and while waiting for something to heat on the stove. Moderation and being smart is the key to everything.

Reactions: muzzleloader