• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol Bolt Action .308 - Who has one?

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Really looking for THOSE that have a Bolt Action Pistol in .308

I am looking at:

Christensen Arms Pistol
Pork Sword
JTac

And a coule of others to include the new Savage IF released in a right hand bolt.

Let me know which one you have..likes…dislikes…wishes etc…

I am looking for a small portable…FOLDABLE…package and MUST be in .308.

Let me know your thoughts one yours.

i just built a 13.5" 308 , sbr not a pistol . but pretty much same same. i used a R700 action with a mcgowen barrel and dropped it into a sidechick chassis

i haven't shot it yet but it seems like a handy little package. initial plan was a pork sword with an 8" barrel in 300blk but decided to go 308 to get a little more utility out of it. even with a suppressor on it , rex mg7k in 308 , it balances out nicely

so far lots of likes and not really any dislikes

Reactions: Bakwa
With a bolt pistol vs an AR pistol what are the pros and cons? I’m building an AR10 308 right now with a 12.5 barrel. Just wondering the reason for a bolt pistol ? Serious question as I could go either way.

Thats what really has me leaning towards the Christensen Arms pistol…. But then i go back to the Sig Cross in a 16” which negates the whole pistol idea…. But it folds down to 25” which is a small-ish back pack..

Decisions…decisions.

Hoping some post accuracy and reliability info that they have observed.

I want one that will shoot standard ball ammo well as well as match ammo.

Only thing that worries me is the ATF ruling on the pistol setups. That wpuld SUCK to put thst much money into one. Only to have to reclassify it or change it up.

i just built a 13.5" 308 , sbr not a pistol . but pretty much same same. i used a R700 action with a mcgowen barrel and dropped it into a sidechick chassis

i haven't shot it yet but it seems like a handy little package. initial plan was a pork sword with an 8" barrel in 300blk but decided to go 308 to get a little more utility out of it. even with a suppressor on it , rex mg7k in 308 , it balances out nicely

so far lots of likes and not really any dislikes
Your pics don’t seem to be loading…

With a bolt pistol vs an AR pistol what are the pros and cons? I’m building an AR10 308 right now with a 12.5 barrel. Just wondering the reason for a bolt pistol ? Serious question as I could go either way.
For me the primary advantage is no paperwork to cross state lines be SBR.

What would typical weight be for pistol bolt gun? Seems like it's fairly easy to have a sub 6 lb or slightly over 6 lb ar10 nowadays.

I have a single shot bolt Norma M48 Independence in 6.5CM.
Other available cartridges: 22 Nosler, 24 Nosler, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Rem, and .308 Win.

I have a Pork Sword with a 9" barrel in 300blk that fits nicely inside my 5.11 RUSH24 37L backpack with the stock is folded.

Your pics don’t seem to be loading…
let me see if i can get this to work
20211226_155749.jpg
20211226_162401.jpg

Christensen Arms MPP in 6.5CM. 12.5" which is the same length their 308 is.
Converted to SBR in MDT chassis. No good option to convert the MPP brace for an SBR.
My only complaint is weak ejection if you run the bolt slow.

20211127_135311.jpg

Reactions: the_assman
Only thing that worries me is the ATF ruling on the pistol setups. That wpuld SUCK to put thst much money into one. Only to have to reclassify it or change it up.
With a quality rifle like you are talking, at worst would pay maybe $400 to put a 16.5" barrel on it, save old barrel, wait................

Overall length of mine is 30.2" but can change depending on muzzle device. With the stock folded about 22". The way it sits without the bipod it weights 8lbs unloaded but can change depending on scope and muzzle device weight.

20210321_181019.jpg

Also saw the new Tikka Tactical 16” in their chasis. Interesting…but their proprietary mags kinda sucks.

Overall length of mine is 30.2" but can change depending on muzzle device. With the stock folded about 22". The way it sits without the bipod it weights 8lbs unloaded but can change depending on scope and muzzle device weight.

View attachment 7772419
very noice :cool:

that is pretty much what my plans for my build started out as , then things went arie

I've got a Custom Shop Remington XP100 that I've had for 25 years. Killed pronghorn, mule deer, whitetails, hogs and a Black Buck with.
Love it, but it's not a 308, it's a 7mm BR.
15" bull barrel walnut stock.

Savage Strikers were all left hand bolt, center grips. A great choice for a right hand (handgun) shooter
XP-100’s and HS Precision‘s all came with a right hand bolt.

If you want to build one, thousands of XP-100’s came with a .308 sized bolt face. Simple matter to rebarrel Later rear grip XP’s used a Model 7 style action. Earlier XP’s were the forerunner of the 600/660 action. The latter are all single shot.

While the earlier XP’s are easily converted to rear grip though as rare as they are getting it would be a travesty to convert one now. If you are really looking for a quasi rifle, I know of no one who builds a rifle like stock/chassis for the XP.

I had a 14.5” pinned in a JTAC chassis. Very nice. Very portable. Built it for the short LOP, used it mostly for thermal but crossed over with a day optic nicely.
C2DDEFA4-260B-4EC1-A8FD-8F0AFD55CDE8.jpeg
Never should have sold it. If I had it to do all over again, I would have SBR’d it to 12.5” and kept it forever.

Reactions: Alekzandr
When the Sig Cross exists (and at that price!) I really don't see the point in the pistol .308 builds. In 300 Black, or 9mm, absolutely, but I have a 16" .308 700 pattern and I never wish it was shorter.

I was thinking of reamering out my 7BR 15" to a 7-08. Just haven't built the courage to do it. Because it shoots so good now.

For me the primary advantage is no paperwork to cross state lines be SBR.
Yes, I'm digging up a 2-year old thread to address this, because I see it so often and it's something that shouldn't be (much of) a factor. The prohibition on crossing state lines does exist, yes. Don't do it with an SBR without filing the paperwork. HOWEVER, if you disassemble the SBR into separate parts - and ESPECIALLY if you put a 16"+ upper on your registered Lower . . . IT IS NO LONGER AN SBR, and you can travel freely, and reassemble in your destination state (as long as that state allows possession of SBRs). The "constructive intent" that we sometimes hear about when it comes to possessing a lower near a sub-16" upper because you've demonstrated your intent to do the OPPOSITE of violating the law by separating the parts prior to crossing state lines.