• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol Brace Form-1 Wait Times

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I have three braced pistols (actually four but one was already SBR'd), and before the whole ATF brue-ha-ha over braces, I had actually planned to SBR them to add solid stocks, vertical grips, etc. So I decided to take advantage of the free Form-1 and submitted on March 21st under the Final Rule fee waiver. I know ... I know ... many see this as heresy and caving to the ATF, but for me, it was about saving $600 on something I was already planning on doing anyway. Here's my question: Has anyone that submitted "after" March 21, 2023 received their conditional approval? I was expecting some kind of action by now (4 months), but they're still in the "Submitted/In Process" category with no apparent action. Just curious what other heretics like me are seeing for turnaround times. Thanks.

• Haha
    Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    tax forebearance Form 1s were basically 120-150 days. regular Form 1s WERE at like 30-45 days.

im sitting at 80 days on two regular Form 1s. Not alot i can do about it either but im shaking all the congress trees i can, and Senator also.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Well considering the court just ruled the brace ban is unconstitutional lol
    Not quite ... but it certainly looks to be headed in that direction. I'm curious what they'll do with all the completed and pending approvals once the rule is permanently struck down. I'm hoping I still get my three free SBR builds, but probably not. I've already got two approved SBR's, and seven suppressors that are NFA'd ... so the ATF already knows where to find me ... I'm not afraid of NFA submissions at this point.

Not quite ... but it certainly looks to be headed in that direction. I'm curious what they'll do with all the completed and pending approvals once the rule is permanently struck down. I'm hoping I still get my three free SBR builds, but probably not. I've already got two approved SBR's, and seven suppressors that are NFA'd ... so the ATF already knows where to find me ... I'm not afraid of NFA submissions at this point.

8% ers gonna 8%

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
    Reactions: darkfader

If they strike it down, your conditional form 1 would be void. Therefore if you have a stock in them, it's an unregistered SBR

If they strike it down, your conditional form 1 would be void. Therefore if you have a stock in them, it's an unregistered SBR
    Yeah, you've admitted on a federal form to be in possession of an unregistered NFA item. You should go out, right now, and get a ballistic vest for your dog...

Yeah, you've admitted on a federal form to be in possession of an unregistered NFA item. You should go out, right now, and get a ballistic vest for your dog...
    Explain to me how I've done that. I have two fully approved AR Pistol SBR's where I paid the $200 and got them properly NFA'd ... complete with tax stamp. I also have three additional AR pistols that have braces, that have not been modified in any other way, and that I've submitted for approval and waived fees under the final rule. If the final rule is struck down on appeal or by SCOTUS ... my three pistols (with braces) are good and don't need SBR'ing (and at that point I can either resubmit for SBR for $200, or leave them unmodified). If the final rule is upheld, I'd (eventually) have them conditionally approved (I'm between 4 and 5 months at this point) as SBR's and would be able to treat them as such. Either way this goes ... final rule holds or final rule thrown out ... I'm legally righteous and in total compliance with NFA laws, and the Final Rule. I know many here are afraid of the ATF and think that NFA submissions are evil. My dog has advised me that he's sleeping just fine at night ... with all five of my AR pistols either approved as SBR's, or submitted for approval per the final rule. And like I said ... with 7 suppressors already NFA registered (I shoot everything suppressed) ... both my dog an me are easy to find. Explain to me again why someone is going to break down my front door and shoot my dog ... ? I suspect the only reason the ATF would bang on my door, would be to give me their "Compliant Gun Owner of the Year" award.

Reactions: jr81452
    Does anyone really care about what a bunch of dumb fucks think? I agree with the OP. I was going to SBR anyway. It was ok before, its ok now. If they make us pay $200 after the fact, who gives two flying fuck shits?? Get over it...

Does anyone really care about what a bunch of dumb fucks think? I agree with the OP. I was going to SBR anyway. It was ok before, its ok now. If they make us pay $200 after the fact, who gives two flying fuck shits?? Get over it...
    Amen Brutha !!!

WTF Question...
    Has anyone filed Form 1 individual - Tax Paid to SBR and had the ATF CHANGE THE FILING to tax exempt seemingly arbitrarily?
    Form was submitted as Tax Paid and someone CHANGED it to the exempt pistol brace category:mad:

WTF Question...
    Has anyone filed Form 1 individual - Tax Paid to SBR and had the ATF CHANGE THE FILING to tax exempt seemingly arbitrarily?
    Form was submitted as Tax Paid and someone CHANGED it to the exempt pistol brace category:mad:
    Are you saying this happened to you? Or are you just asking if it has happened to someone else (or both)? Before the whole "Final Rule" thing, I had two braced pistols SBR'd for $200/each. I've got tax exempt applications in for three more since mid-March, with no response thus far.

• Haha
    Reactions: Doc68
    Yes. It just happened to me.
    I filed individual on 5/11 with $200 stamp and approved (with conditions as per brace ruling) 8/18. BUT the category had been changed to the exempt category by the ATF.
    The submitted form clearly has the Tax Paid box checked, the approved form has the exempt box checked.

Yes. It just happened to me.
    I filed individual on 5/11 with $200 stamp and approved (with conditions as per brace ruling) 8/18. BUT the category had been changed to the exempt category by the ATF.
    The submitted form clearly has the Tax Paid box checked, the approved form has the exempt box checked.
    That's weird ... did they refund your $200?

WTF Question...

so heres something interesting. when i contacted my congressman about my forms about 8 weeks ago, staff contacted ATF and ATF claimed that ALL Form 1s submitted during that amnesty period would be tax exempt. i dont agree with that but thats what he claimed.

ATF took my $200 paid eform money. sooo.... who knows. still waiting on an approval 115 days later on Paid Form 1s

I submitted an amnesty Form 1 on March 5th and it was approved May 12th. This was on a trust with 1 RP. Also, I submitted a regular paid Form 1 on January 27th and after 200 daysish finally went in and withdrew it, then resubmitted it. It was in a black hole somewhere. Now waiting again.

They have not refunded as far as I can see. Waiting for a response sent today... I should have mentioned SS handled the efile.

• Haha
    Reactions: Doc68
    I just had my 4 come back approved, submitted 3/14/23. I called to inquire as I was hitting 150 days and was told they were waiting on the fbi to clear the background check. I emailed my congress ppl and 2 days later (this past Friday) I got 1/4 approved and then last night at 10pm the other 3 approved. I was surprised they were approving forms at 10pm on a Sunday but at least they all finally cleared.

Ok "I joined 10 years ago and have 100 posts". Go away glownigger.......

Doc

My first of three, all submitted mid-March, was approved yesterday. Took five months to the day.

Submitted mine on 5/31 at 10pm when it became clear the courts weren’t going to stop it.
    Approved on 8/14.

I suspect whether it’s struck down or not the ATF is going to consider my gun an NFA item on the registry now. So they know that I haven’t sold it in an untraceable private sale.
    I think that was the govt’s win in this.

If they start coming after those of us that complied, at least it will signal to the rest of you that the time has come.

Submitted mine on 5/31 at 10pm when it became clear the courts weren’t going to stop it.
    Approved on 8/14.

I suspect whether it’s struck down or not the ATF is going to consider my gun an NFA item on the registry now. So they know that I haven’t sold it in an untraceable private sale.
    I think that was the govt’s win in this.

If they start coming after those of us that complied, at least it will signal to the rest of you that the time has come.
    I wonder why mine took so much longer than yours. It's likely my dashingly good looks in my photo, made the old and ugly ATF worker jealous, hence putting my applications at the bottom of the pile. Yeah ... that's it ... I'm sure of it.

I wonder why mine took so much longer than yours. It's likely my dashingly good looks in my photo, made the old and ugly ATF worker jealous, hence putting my applications at the bottom of the pile. Yeah ... that's it ... I'm sure of it.
    My F1's have all been 5 mos (suppressors). Seems to be about the average for those that get trapped in FBI purgatory (read: ANY application that the FBI touches).

Now I have all three of my "Final Rule" SBR Form-1's approved ... a little over 5 months. Not exactly a land-speed record ... eh? At least is "DONE" and I can do whatever the heck I want with them now. Time for some folding stocks, and a vertical fore-grip or two.

Reactions: 1911hombre
    Same with your response to a vile illegal ruling but yet here you are........

Doc
    I've been pretty clear in this thread that I've previously SBR'd pistol-braced AR's to allow for modifications I wanted (I prefer solid stocks and foregrips), and taking advantage of this "Final Rule" stupidity gets me the SBR's I would have had to pay for, but does it for free. Best case, they kill the rule and I can either pay the $200 per pistol, or leave them unmodified. Worst case the rule stands, and I got three free SBR pistols. "Standing up to the man ..." ain't gonna make the ATF or NFA go away, so I figured I'd use their silliness to my advantage. But you're probably right ... allowing these vile creatures to frighten you into inaction is probably a better strategy. I should have clearly done nothing, hoped for the final rule to be struck down, and then paid the $600 to SBR my three remaining braced AR's. What on earth was I thinking ... LOL. You "... I hate everything so I'm doing nothing but complain and criticize ..." guys crack me up.

I've been pretty clear in this thread that I've previously SBR'd pistol-braced AR's to allow for modifications I wanted (I prefer solid stocks and foregrips), and taking advantage of this "Final Rule" stupidity gets me the SBR's I would have had to pay for, but does it for free. Best case, they kill the rule and I can either pay the $200 per pistol, or leave them unmodified. Worst case the rule stands, and I got three free SBR pistols. "Standing up to the man ..." ain't gonna make the ATF or NFA go away, so I figured I'd use their silliness to my advantage. But you're probably right ... allowing these vile creatures to frighten you into inaction is probably a better strategy. I should have clearly done nothing, hoped for the final rule to be struck down, and then paid the $600 to SBR my three remaining braced AR's. What on earth was I thinking ... LOL. You "... I hate everything so I'm doing nothing but complain and criticize ..." guys crack me up.
    Yes, but you bowed down to an illegal ruling right away. We all see where you will stand when they come for stuff and ask for people to tattletale on others......

I also never altered any of my firearms from their current settings at that time.

You and others jumped at the bit.....

They said jump and you said "how high" your highness......while cupping their balls.

Doc

I guess I'm missing the point here. So, if someone filled out a Form1 for a sbr say, 2 or 3 years ago. It was a ok thing to do. Now if you do it, you are saving $200 but you are bowing down to the evil democratic regime? Sounds about as retarded as this thread.

Yes, but you bowed down to an illegal ruling right away. We all see where you will stand when they come for stuff and ask for people to tattletale on others......

I also never altered any of my firearms from their current settings at that time.

You and others jumped at the bit.....

They said jump and you said "how high" your highness......while cupping their balls.

Doc
    1693936677515.png

Um ... no it's not. I just wanted to leverage the ATF silliness to save $600 on something the government already knows I have ... along with 7 suppressors. "Hiding" my braced pistols from them when I've already got two NFA-registered SBR's and seven suppressors would be a waste of my valuable time. They've got my address, and since I'm in compliance with all state and federal laws, they're welcome to join me for a cup of coffee on the porch any time they like. If they show up with a warrant, I'll happily give them a tour of my collection, and copies of all of my approved Form-1's. I have nothing to fear, and nothing to hide. I realize that's not a popular perspective around here, but that 16 years in the USMC helped frame my views related to following the law. I agree with @SnowMan ... this thread has veered far enough off course that it's probably time to send everyone back to the Bear Pit where this can continue without us. :cool:

View attachment 8220343
    Um ... no it's not. I just wanted to leverage the ATF silliness to save $600 on something the government already knows I have ... along with 7 suppressors. "Hiding" my braced pistols from them when I've already got two NFA-registered SBR's and seven suppressors would be a waste of my valuable time. They've got my address, and since I'm in compliance with all state and federal laws, they're welcome to join me for a cup of coffee on the porch any time they like. If they show up with a warrant, I'll happily give them a tour of my collection, and copies of all of my approved Form-1's. I have nothing to fear, and nothing to hide. I realize that's not a popular perspective around here, but that 16 years in the USMC helped frame my views related to following the law. I agree with @SnowMan ... this thread has veered far enough off course that it's probably time to send everyone back to the Bear Pit where this can continue without us. :cool:
    You do realize they have no right again to waive the tax......it's coming. You can quote me on that.

Maybe this was just a money grab in disguise....I mean what's 40 million X 200 dollars......now that you registered it, the ruling is found unconstitutional....but now you have an SBR....pay the tax pleeb.....

Well this thread is in the bear pit. Maybe the OP should have started it in the correct forum....but again as I say common sense isn't too common....

Doc

You do realize they have no right again to waive the tax......it's coming. You can quote me on that.

Well this thread is in the bear pit. Maybe the OP should have started it in the correct forum....but again as I say common sense isn't too common....

Doc
    You've reached Rusty's 'I've Moved On" auto-response message. Please leave your criticism and predictions at the tone, and Rusty will review them on the next rainy day when the range is closed. BEEEEP ... 📞

Reactions: 1911hombre
    You've reached Rusty's 'I've Moved On" auto-response message. Please leave your criticism and predictions at the tone, and Rusty will review them on the next rainy day when the range is closed. BEEEEP ... 📞
    This response shows your annoyance.....I'm glad I can help.

Doc