• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol Caliber Carbine Newbie, Seeking Advice

Larry Fine

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
I am looking to buy or build my first PCC. I don't currently own any carbine weapons. I am seeking advice on guns that meet my criteria. I am not opposed to using ATF Form 1 and making this as an SBR. Trying to keep to a budget of under $4K.

Requirements:
  • .45 ACP or 9mm
  • 8-10 inch barrel
  • Folding stock or brace
  • Piston system
  • Can mount light/laser/dot
Nice to haves but less important:
  • Can be suppressed
  • Feels like my AR platform rifles
  • Uses Glock magazines
  • Delayed blowback system
  • Ready to go off the shelf
I have a good gunsmith I trust that can swap out a long barrel with a shorter one. And I prefer an ergonomic and adjustable stock or brace.

What do you recommend?

Had them all.

B&T APC9k SBR gives me all the things you want in your list.

I prefer it over MP5s.

If you are a lefty I suggest using regular BT mag lower … if you are a righty … a Glock lower setup works well.

That said. I would only do a K barrel if you have a can to slap on it.

I'm curious why you specify piston. For those low pressure pistol rounds, blow back or delayed blow back is well proven in competition, since USPSA added the PCC division. JP pretty much seems to rule there. If you enjoy building, one can easily be built very economically. I've built a half dozen, range toys, probably wouldn't have four figures in each if I didn't like really good triggers. If not, SIG MPX or B&T APC are both popular among professional users, including militaries.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Its been educational researching them.

What does everyone think of the Sig MPX K? I realize the barrel is shorter than I wanted, but it hits lots of other high points and the reviews seem excellent.

For what you are wanting & your budget range, I'd suggest getting the SIG MPX PCC

Try it as is and see how you like it
Then if you want SBR it, do so and put a shorter barrel on or have the barrel cut down.

As it is with the folding stock, it's pretty handy.

Otherwise if you know for sure you are going to SBR it and you can live with essentially a pistol length barrel to start with the MPX K is a decent option.

Reactions: Larry Fine
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Its been educational researching them.

What does everyone think of the Sig MPX K? I realize the barrel is shorter than I wanted, but it hits lots of other high points and the reviews seem excellent.
If you are running a can it will gas you out and it runs super dirty … only MPX I’d run is their 16” model.

I don't think you mentioned shooting competitively, but it must be a carbine or SBR to compete in USPSA PCC division. If you want a braced pistol, the MPX variant has a 8" bbl. Nicely splits the difference between carbine and K. I like the MPX very much.

I am looking to buy or build my first PCC. I don't currently own any carbine weapons. I am seeking advice on guns that meet my criteria. I am not opposed to using ATF Form 1 and making this as an SBR. Trying to keep to a budget of under $4K.

Requirements:
  • .45 ACP or 9mm
  • 8-10 inch barrel
  • Folding stock or brace
  • Piston system
  • Can mount light/laser/dot
Nice to haves but less important:
  • Can be suppressed
  • Feels like my AR platform rifles
  • Uses Glock magazines
  • Delayed blowback system
  • Ready to go off the shelf
I have a good gunsmith I trust that can swap out a long barrel with a shorter one. And I prefer an ergonomic and adjustable stock or brace.

What do you recommend?

CZ Scorpion

No clue why sig discontinued the 8 inch mpx, dumbest decision being it was the most sought after, get an mpx or any of the B&T’s or smash out your grandmas butt box. I have probably 3500 (edit-closer to 2500 after reflection)rounds through my mpx, suppressed, unsupressed, it don’t give a fuck it eats.
IMG_3400.jpeg

In other news, this place has become pretty arfcommish

Last edited:
I have a b&t apc pro that is one of the nicest guns I own....never had any problems with it at all. Over 3000 rounds fired

Didn't realize it was discontinued. Stupid decision. I agree with VJJ, mine is the same, never faltered, any ammo. Yeah, his last comment unfortunately also rings true too often.

I don't have a pistol caliber carbine.

But I have shot a home built RDB gun and it was super ultra smooth. No recoil. Shot very fast and it was accurate. Running a can too. It was an economical build as well.

Thanks everyone. I have decided to go with the MPX. Great suggestion. I really appreciate everyone's help.

After shooting the MPX K, I found it was easier to control than I had expected. I think I'm going to SBR that one and keep a suppressor on it, maybe covering it with a handguard. I intend to use the Magpul SL-K Stock, Trijicon RMR HD, and light TBD.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
You made a good choice. Another advantage you have is you won't need that gunsmith you mentioned for barrel swaps. Doesn't take more then 10 minutes with that weapon.

One consideration is if you also happen to use/carry a G17/19 or Sig P320 if you go 9mm… Many of the options out there will use the same magazines; a nice redundancy in my mind.

Here’s my home brewed PCC based on a Quarter Circle 10 receiver set in .45 ACP…uses the same mags as my G21:

i-ZTFJ6pW.jpg

Uses the standard 13-round mags, or any of the extended 30 rounders… I prefer the Kriss extensions for the factory mags:

i-SHJrJg2.jpg