• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol For Kids

Racerngr1

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Corona, CA
I've been shooting quite a bit of pistol lately and my kids have shown a real interest in going with me. I'm not sure what the appropriate firearm would be to get them going, I have an 8 year old girl and 10 year old son and have a feeling it might be more for my daughter. I'm more of a Glock guy and don't really know what to start her off with, any good advise on possibly a .22 or.....?

Want to start them with a revolver or semi? I think there’s a lot less frustration for them starting out with a revolver because you never have jams so you don’t have to step in as often. Ruger Wranglers are awesome! It’s probably half the weight of my single six and perfectly capable of shooting cans off the fence.

Semi autos there’s a lot of good ones out there. They will all suffer some reliability issues because of the ammo but some fail a lot more than others. I probably would stick with quality semi autos not go the cheap routes. M&P or 41, Colt woodsman, Ruger MK XYZsstaying away from Walther etc.

Just mu $2/100.

My personal recommendation is the S&W M&P 22 Compact. My daughter really enjoys shooting it and it's a great trainer for other compact pistols as it's full feature and about the same size as their other compacts. Plus fun to shoot! They can be found on sale occasionally and definitely worth picking up IMO.

They're still young, so weight might be a consideration.

I'd recommend the Ruger 22/45 Lite Mark 4. Very comfortable to hold and easy to maintain. They also have a "cool" factor with the skeletonized frame and color options.

I got the 22/45 Target (heavier with longer barrel) for my teenage daughter to use for Steel Challenge, etc and it's a really solid pistol.

Reactions: Jimgal62
I can tell you what not to buy - a Walther P22. That is what my son started out with and let's just say he became really proficient at clearing jams. Then again, now he has a Sig P320 Legion and out shoots me at USPSA matches....

Mine shoot a Ruger SR22. CCI ammo does good as long as it's clean. Fed automatch is hit and miss depending on lot. Ambi controls if one of your kids is a lefty.

Reactions: Pbgt
Didn't mention. Glock was not available when I bought the Ruger.

The G44 (22lr) is a fine trainer but not good for small hands.
I would recommend the M&P 22 compact or a small frame revolver.

When my son and G'daughter came to visit, they both took a shine to my Ruger Bearcat .22 LR which shipped in 1962. I really didn't mind as it was too small for my hand.

Reactions: QSHOT
First, enjoy and encourage their interest. In this day it's hard to compete against all the video games. From my perspective, I lean toward recommending a .22 double action pistol, even a single action for added safety. You can coach your kids on the safety of checking the hammer and there is much less of a chance of the gun firing problems. In short, much safer, easy maintenance, simple loading, and just a lot of fun to shoot and carry. I had a
Western style Ruger six shot back in the day. I put thousands of rounds through that pistol with no issues, and finally the ammo is pretty cheap. Good luck, my friend!

When my son and G'daughter came to visit, they both took a shine to my Ruger Bearcat .22 LR which shipped in 1962. I really didn't mind as it was too small for my hand.
I had a Ruger Bearcat when I was about 10-12, sixty years ago now. What a great little pistol! I wish I still had it.

Or Ruger Redhawk. +P+ rated.

All kidding aside. I started each and every kid with my 357 with the 6inch barrel. I always made sure they were shooting 38spl wadcutters. I told them that if they can shoot this, everything else would be easy to shoot. It took the fright away.

They spent a half on box of those 38spl and then we went to 22lr and 9mm. Many times they wanted to shoot the 357 revolver, so I knew the trick worked for them. Not all kids are the same, but I'm just telling you what work for my kids. The 2 oldest boys were shooting my 629 by the time they were 7, with 44spl rounds. By the time they were 10, they were shooting 44mag.

I really do recommend starting any kid out with a revolver. If for nothing else, just for safety.

Reactions: QSHOT and fyaman43
I just took my son out with a taurus tx22. Its cheap, no jams or malfunctions, holds 16 rounds. It was excellent. Just buy plenty of magazines. We have also used the ruger sr22 as well in the past without a problem, but I think the taurus is better (who would have thought?).

Reactions: Kamerad
Smith and Wesson Model 17—they’ll only be able to reach single action at first, but that’s good.

I've been shooting quite a bit of pistol lately and my kids have shown a real interest in going with me. I'm not sure what the appropriate firearm would be to get them going, I have an 8 year old girl and 10 year old son and have a feeling it might be more for my daughter. I'm more of a Glock guy and don't really know what to start her off with, any good advise on possibly a .22 or.....?

Grip size is the most important factor for small hands.

My dad started me on a Browning Buckmark when I was 8 or 9. Great little pistol, but the thick wood grips were just too large for my kid hands. This made it too unwieldy for me to shoot it well, so I always felt discouraged. An older gentleman at our range let me shoot his S&W model 41 every Saturday after the falling plate matches. It had a slimmer, more ergonomic grip and I could shoot it almost as good as the grown-ups in no time. The ability to get a comfortable controlling grip on a handgun is the deciding factor for any hand size -how much more so for a beginner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Racerngr1
Got a used Heritage .22 LR single action revolver for my son when he was 7. Wanted to limit him to one single shot at a time until I knew he had complete control over the pistol. Now he shoots everything I have.

Reactions: IrishWind
Got a used Heritage .22 LR single action revolver for my son when he was 7. Wanted to limit him to one single shot at a time until I knew he had complete control over the pistol. Now he shoots everything I have.

They’re pretty inexpensive to get one started.

To echo what has already been mentioned, I think a Ruger Wrangler or the slightly smaller framed Ruger Bearcat, would work great for what your wanting.

love my 22lr they are fun easy to handle and cheap to operate another is a 357 using 38sp ammo the weight of the 357 pistol makes the 38 extremely easy to handle and while suppervised either could be a great learning tool and a good way to spend time with a child that will grow up way too fast and be gone before you know it . good luck and hope you have a great time while you can .

I was really impressed with the Browning 1911 .22, it would be a great gun for a kid to learn on

I have questions????

Do they kids already shoot BB guns?
Do they already shoot 22 rifles?

one can only learn so fast... newer shooters need to be able to have fun and success...

It's similar to riding a motorcycle- have you ridden a bike and know how to balance AND have you driven a stick and know how to shift...

I love a 4" bull barrel 22 as a training pistol... any of the modern 22's will work just fine if they are full sized...

Once they are comfortable with a 22, when stepping up to a major caliber, my suggestion is
dry fire a few times
once comfortable
load 1 and let them shoot one... if they are ok- move forward...

If not load one again and repeat until comfortable..