• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol grip stock 870

kcbird

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
TX
I am looking at installing a pistol grip stock on my 870. I am looking at the Mesa Tactical, Choate mark 5, and Advanced technologies. The Mesa and advanced tech seem to have quit a slop and I definitely do not want a check riser. I have not tried any of these so I have nothing to go off of. I just want good quality that fits well.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006569853?pid=286471

This one came from wilson combat
BBDA3033-C216-49E3-BE3E-68BB1426E5B6.jpeg

Are you talkin' about this Mesa Tactical stock:
Where'd you hear that there's slop in the stock? Properly installed, the stock doesn't move around at all.
The one in the link does not have a cheek riser.

Reactions: kcbird
Sorry, spelling helps. Slope, slant is what I ment.

I am just running the bead front sight on the gun. I think the cheek riser on the Mesa is more for optics or ghost rings. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this? The reason I am asking is I don't want to order one and then realize I need the riser.

I am just running the bead front sight on the gun. I think the cheek riser on the Mesa is more for optics or ghost rings. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this? The reason I am asking is I don't want to order one and then realize I need the riser.
You know that the cheek riser is removeable, right? Once it's off, it's the same dimensions as the non-cheek riser model. But, you'll be fine with the non-riser model using a plain bead sight. Get the limbsaver buttpad, though.

Reactions: kcbird
Thank you gentleman, I'm going to give it a try.

Well here it is. I also added the side saddle. It is so much better than the OEM stock. Thanks guys
sg.jpg

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
You say slope but you mean drop at heel. The more drop the harder it is on your cheek. The MagPul isn't quite a parallel comb but it's close.
SG870.jpg

Reactions: sjmpcc022
I guess I was over thinking it. Looking at pictures it just seemed like a lot of drop. I haven't ran any slugs or buck through it yet so we will see how that goes. I really like the feel, it points great.

You say slope but you mean drop at heel. The more drop the harder it is on your cheek. The MagPul isn't quite a parallel comb but it's close.
View attachment 7667287
GH41, you understand shotgun fit! I was going to bring this very point up but you beat me to it.
I guess I was over thinking it. Looking at pictures it just seemed like a lot of drop. I haven't ran any slugs or buck through it yet so we will see how that goes. I really like the feel, it points great.
You sir, don't understand shotgun fit but you are about to.

Hint............. The way it will go is hard into your jaw and all the way to the back of your head. I would also go with 3" or even 3 1/2" slugs, if the chamber will allow it. Good luck!!!!!

GH41, you understand shotgun fit! I was going to bring this very point up but you beat me to it.

You sir, don't understand shotgun fit but you are about to.

Hint............. The way it will go is hard into your jaw and all the way to the back of your head. I would also go with 3" or even 3 1/2" slugs, if the chamber will allow it. Good luck!!!!!
I shot sporting clays and hunted for many years. You probably share a similar background. Gun fit is everything. I don't understand the "Mall Ninga" crowd where looking tacti cool is more important than a shotgun that requires no more of the shooter than focusing on the target. A gun that fits shoot where you are looking.

Unless you need to put a hole in the engine block of the getaway vehicle, little is to be had by the the extra recoil of 3" / 3.5" slugs unless you are also goose hunting. The 2-3/4" slugs will suffice for any two legged varmint without the added gun powder explosion commotion.

I shot sporting clays and hunted for many years. You probably share a similar background. Gun fit is everything. I don't understand the "Mall Ninga" crowd where looking tacti cool is more important than a shotgun that requires no more of the shooter than focusing on the target. A gun that fits shoot where you are looking.
Amen to that brother GH41! 25 plus years a trapshooter, and I fit a lot of shotguns. When I took the SH course last year I spent two painful days shooting prone behind a Mossberg MVP, .308 with a target barrel. I was brand new and didn't have a clue. At the time I had the barreled action for my PRS rifle on order, but hadn't settled on a stock. I was thinking a McMillan or a Manners, something kind of traditional rifle looking. After about the first hour that all changed. I decided right there if I was going to do this, I better get all the adjustability I have in my trap gun. It's a Browning XT combo, nothing high end but it has an adjustable comb and a Graco butt plate, adjustable for length, cant and pad up and down. I went with an MPA BA competition stock and am VERY glad I did!
Unless you need to put a hole in the engine block of the getaway vehicle, little is to be had by the the extra recoil of 3" / 3.5" slugs unless you are also goose hunting. The 2-3/4" slugs will suffice for any two legged varmint without the added gun powder explosion commotion.
You completely missed the point, and the sarcasm. Maybe next time?

Mesa telescoping adapter? Add a buffer tube, your AR stock of choice, AR pistol grip of choice and good to go.

Those are cool but won't work with the OP's bead sight. At a minimum, you'll need the factory-height ghost ring sights.

I tried several different stocks. The Speedfeed was too long. I thought the Urbino would be too sloped, but I really like it. I got the riser because I’m running a red dot. Love this setup!

86BD7DFA-5CEE-4AD5-93C2-50B112D62409.jpeg

Those are cool but won't work with the OP's bead sight. At a minimum, you'll need the factory-height ghost ring sights.

Tried to get the ads pic to match my pov when shouldered. I use a FO bead. Not perfectly down the barrel like you'd want for hunting, but easily good enough for defending my 8-step long hallway.

Attachments

• 16265603652368792740831324738811.jpg
    16265603652368792740831324738811.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 34
  • 16265604004014080608598365816577.jpg
    16265604004014080608598365816577.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 37
Tried to get the ads pic to match my pov when shouldered. I use a FO bead. Not perfectly down the barrel like you'd want for hunting, but easily good enough for defending my 8-step long hallway.
Make your bed!

Reactions: 308ftWIN
^^1 + for the above. Make the bed, wash the sheets, and why the $ukk does one have to take firearm photos in such a nasty
bedroom situation?