• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pistol IR laser/light

titus7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Ridgecrest, California
What's the best IR laser/light setup for a pistol or is there such a thing? The only setup I can figure is the lasermax uni-ir and a streamlight or Surefire light mounted below it but it's still not an IR light. So any ideas or does anyone else have the same question?

Re: Pistol IR laser/light

The 'best' pistol set up is the Insight ILWLP/LAM-1000. It has both IR and visible illuminator/laser. It has a Class III IR laser, so it is not civilian legal. It has both a rocker switch as well as an optional pressure pad. You can also put various filters over the laser to make it project different shapes (+, T, square, circle, etc.). The illuminator can really reach out there, but it also has a difuser filter that allows it to be used indoors. Without the difuser filter, it is way too bright and narrow for up close use.

Now, if you are looking for a civilian legal set up. The current factory pistol unit is the Lasermax Uni-IR. I have heard it is on the bright side for up close use and a tad fragile, but I have never used it.

There is also the Insight M6X-IR it has an ir laser and white light with ir filter.

Stay tuned for some new announcements from the Shot Show.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the best IR laser/light setup for a pistol or is there such a thing? The only setup I can figure is the lasermax uni-ir and a streamlight or Surefire light mounted below it but it's still not an IR light. So any ideas or does anyone else have the same question? </div></div>

If your objective is to put a clearly-visible, well-defined, Class 1 infrared aiming dot on your target without a lot of other, bulky stuff hanging off your pistol, then the Lasermax UNI IR will do everything you need it to do in the most compact chassis on the market. The aiming dot on the Class 1 (0.7 mW) version is easily visible (via PVS-14) at 350 yards, which is well beyond the range of pistol ballistics. In fact, I have photos posted on this forum that show the dot to be visible at 550 yards -- and without becoming as big as the side of a house!

The rumors about the fragility of the Lasermax are just that: hearsay. The chassis is made from fiberglass reinforced polymer which is easily as strong as the frame on a Glock, HK USP, FN FNP, etc. Plus with its very low profile, it stays tight to the contour of the pistol's dustcover and doesn't give a lot of leverage points for snagging and then having parts break off. It is about as small and as unobtrusive as IR lasers can get, and that's important on handguns (especially ones that you have to carry).

What the Lasermax isn't is: it isn't waterproof or water resistent. If you submerge it into the saltwater during your U.S. Navy SEALs BUD/S training, yeah, it will probably go kaput. That's where the Insight LAM (Laser Aiming Module) has its strength. The LAM-400 (or PEQ-6) was designed for the HK Mark 23 pistol, which as a weapon system was intended by the U.S. SOCOM to be hardened for "hostile environment" use, such as in highly corrosive 'marine' environments. Where the LAM now falls short, is in its visible illuminator. It uses a halogen bulb, which burns out and breaks much more easily than an LED lamp. Also, LED lamps such as in the Surefire X.400 put out a whopping 170 lumens compared to the 90 lumens on the LAM flashlight. If you're seeking an IR laser aimer and IR laser illuminator in the same device, then the LAM does provide that - also, the visible laser is aligned with the IR aiming laser, making it easy / convenient to get your IR aimer to point of impact by adjusting the visible laser to point of impact. However, having all this "stuff" (IR laser, IR illuminator, visible laser, flashlight) in one module does make for a rather large and bulky blob beneath your pistol's dust cover.

Many new technologies are emerging to help with night-time target acquisition. Trijicon's RMR (mini reflex sight) with *adjustable* LED output is very impressive on a hangun and when viewing with night vision. The red dot has unlimited eye relief and the lowest 3 of the 8 output settings are night vision compatible. When viewed with night vision, it gives a crisp, clear aiming dot that is easy (quick) to acquire ... and projects clearly onto targets at any (infinite) distance. From an accuracy perspective, the Trijicon RMR is parallax free out to 50 yards. It is a great day / night system. When you use it with night vision, you have to keep reminding yourself that the aiming dot is not a laser dot reflecting off the target (though that's how it appears). A huge advantage to this is that your aiming dot is completely invisible to anyone opposite your muzzle. In use [on handgun] with night vision goggles, I'm actually starting to prefer the aiming dot from the night-vision mode on the RMR (adjustable LED model) to the IR laser aimers!

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay tuned for some new announcements from the Shot Show.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Ah come on any teaser pics! Please

I prefer the LAM/PEQ14, but there is a CIV legal unit
available from LDI.
photo-131.png

I too like the restricted (ILWLP), is a VERY good IR illuminator for pistolas. The white light is lacking though as with the PEQ-16.

Hard to strike a good balance of high output white light and adequate battery consumption with all the other goodies on board.

We need a LED conversion for the LAM/PEQ14

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need a LED conversion for the LAM/PEQ14 </div></div>

Agreed Wes and for their stand alone pistol light which I think Insight did early this year. Not much talked about that.

Edited, they did the white light conversion I thought in mid 2011 for the M3X/M6x, they need to follow suit with their other line-ups.

There was one company who started to make the first MX3 conversion LED light, but Insight had legal action stuff due to patent violations supposedly.

If your fiscally challenged the Lasermax IR is tops. For $295 I'm impressed with mine. The rash of posts claiming its a bloomer is a bit of bunk. I have a new Night Enforcer from Vic and I can use the class 1 inside home without major bloom. Of course I'd never keep the laser fixed with my Pvs-14-17 at close range as it does command attention like a needy teenager, but I must say it is a steal when compared to these toned down super sniper solider units that go for $1,000+. I wouldnt say the Lasermax is of mil-spec durabilty, but as an ex-solider with casual recreational use it fits my bill sweetly.

We need a LED conversion for the LAM/PEQ14
I’ve custom ordered those to be made for a company last year. I thought about setting up a group buy, but wasn’t sure there would be enough interest. It was $40 and a change per unit.