• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol on Kifaru Hunting Pack

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I already ordered a Kifaru .22 mag pack, still need to get the pack frame (looking at the Duplex lite frame).

I would like to hear how others are bringing their pistols in the field, and if you are attaching them to your packs (especially with a setup similar to mine), what you find works best.

I see the Kifaru frames have molle on the waist belt. Does anyone attach your holster here? If so, what do you find works? Or should I be considering other places to mount a holster?

Reactions: powdahound76
Also, any suggestions for holsters for this application is appreciated.

Still debating on whether it's going to be my Sig P226 w/X300, HK VP9 or my 1911 that fills this role.

Also, I do currently have a belt and holster setup for the VP9. But I'm assuming that a waist mounted holster would get in the way of a pack/frame. If I'm incorrect in this, that would be great to know.

The best way that I’ve found to be both accessible and comfortable is in a chest holster. That can be either a dedicated chest holster, or a holster attached to a bino harness if I’m hunting. The advantage to a chest mounted system, is you don’t loose your pistol when you take off your pack.

That said, I usually just mount a holster to the molle on the hip belt of the pack. It just feels a little less cumbersome.

As far as holsters go, there’s several companies that make chest holsters, GunfightersINC comes to mind. Razco makes a nice bino harness holster. Whatever you pick, a very low profile/slick harness will be key to comfort under a pack. When mounting a holster to a molle belt on a pack, there’s solutions ranging from dedicated molle mounted holsters, to zip ties. I’m going to be playing with the BladeTech “Molle Lok” mounts and see if I can attach them to a kydex pancake style holster.

Reactions: kthomas
Carrying a pack with a hip belt is one of the few times when a drop leg holster makes sense- at least to me.

Maybe it is because I'm not a huge guy, but I'm having a hard time envisioning how a chest rig plays with padded shoulder straps and a sternum strap. Then again, I have made a chest mounted bino carrier work in the past...

I picked up a diamond D chest holster for my G20 years ago and its adjustability makes it pretty easy to carry under a pack. You can slip the holster where it rides the most comfortably and then tighten the strap. They offer them for a ton of gun models. Looks like the non stocked items are 4-6 weeks out although I’m not sure if they can accomodate lights like on your Sig.

If you want leather have a look at this one.

If weight and/or price matter I see they have a sister company now that makes them in nylon

Carrying a pack with a hip belt is one of the few times when a drop leg holster makes sense- at least to me.

Maybe it is because I'm not a huge guy, but I'm having a hard time envisioning how a chest rig plays with padded shoulder straps and a sternum strap. Then again, I have made a chest mounted bino carrier work in the past...

I'm also pretty small (5'9", ~150 lbs), so I don't have a lot of real estate on my chest. .

This setup will be for hikes and hunting, I was thinking of getting a HPG snubby recon bag to pair with my Terrapin-X pouch. Between a backpack with shoulder straps and a LRF chest rig I'm not sure if adding a pistol is a good idea.

Appreciate all the suggestions and ideas so far!

I'm also pretty small (5'9", ~150 lbs), so I don't have a lot of real estate on my chest.

Ah, well that changes things. I’m that case, I’d definitely focus on a molle mount solution, or as mentioned, a belt mounted drop system.
Safariland mid-drop puts the top of the pistol about flush with the belt, and is offset enough that it should clear the waist belt of the pack.

I'm a little shorter and wider than you (but very handsome). I think you're right on track with the Snubby. I use a Snubby with either a Kifaru Woodsman or Molle Express II (showing my age here). It's perfect. The only addition that I recommend is using two Grimlock d-rings with a riser strap (sold by Hill People Gear) to take the weight from the neck and onto the pack straps while you're carrying the pack.

It's surprising how many times a person with a gun on the pack will be without their gun.

I already ordered a Kifaru .22 mag pack, still need to get the pack frame (looking at the Duplex lite frame).

I would like to hear how others are bringing their pistols in the field, and if you are attaching them to your packs (especially with a setup similar to mine), what you find works best.

I see the Kifaru frames have molle on the waist belt. Does anyone attach your holster here? If so, what do you find works? Or should I be considering other places to mount a holster?

I use a g-code holster on the belt.
Has a quick release via the RTI and then have a belt slide mount or a paddle with mount in my pack for when Im cleaning or around camp.
I saw MANY bears last year during both archery and rifle seasons.
Was stalked by a mtn lion in the snow during a late season doe hunt.

So I like having a powerful pistol on my person.

Im small framed too and you can stack a Kenai Gunfighter (kydex) under an Alaska Guide Creations and have a good draw with a 44 mag Mtn Gun.
Works with pack straps.
Much prefer a G20 or g21 in 460 Rowland on the waist of the pack after a lotta walking with full hunting pack with both.

If you were in CO I would be happy to let you try it all out.
Hit me up if you have questions.

Another vote for the Gunfighters Inc Kenai. I wear mine under a Marsupial bino harness and forget it’s there but can still draw quickly if needed. As mentioned above, I too like having a pistol on me in the event I drop my pack for whatever reason.

I'm intrigued with the option of a gunfightersinc kenai holster under a HPG snubby recon w/terrapin-x pouch. Wonder how well that work.

I’ve used several holsters with various “quick clips” to clip into the molle on the hip belt with good results but the Kenai is tops I really love it even for the drive.

Edit: Timberline and ZXR packs.

Appreciate all the replies!

I'm going to try the kenai chest holster with my 1911, and pair it up with a HPG snubby recon w/my Terrapin-X in front.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
I used a gunfighters inc holster with a custom sleeve to make an OWB holster with belt loops mount on my Kifaru belt but now I just use a gunfighters inc kenai chest holster.

Starting to rethink the HPG recon kit.

I love it's size and modularity. I can dress it up for hunting or for hiking, attaching whatever accessories I need (kestrel, terrapin-x, bear spray, extra mag, etc). A pouch to store anything I want easily accessible - perhaps spare batteries, a small flashlight, snacks, etc.

I do have a concern with how it would mate with a gunfightersinc kenai holster, which I just purchased for my 1911. The strap layout of the HPG kit doesn't seem conducive to draw a firearm from a holster behind it.

Here I've outlined the "window" between the straps on the HPG, from which you would have to draw from:

Screenshot_20220818-061959~2.png

Heres and FHF bino harness and it's window, and a picture with a kenai setup behind it:

Screenshot_20220818-061942~2.png

Screenshot_20220818-061927.png

The window on the FHF certainly seems larger from pics, and appropriate to pair up with a kenai chest rig as evident from people's current setups.

Has anyone tried pairing an HPG recon with a Kenai holster? Better yet, specifically the snubby recon with gunfighters kenai with a full frame pistol like a 1911?

Kifaru used to make the Koala and Koala Lite chest packs. I use Kifaru military oriented packs with a Koala chest pack hiking in Alaska. The Koala allows carrying a Glock 10mm in a zippered pouch nearest the chest and then a main compartment for other misc items. I like it. It has a suspension system that works with your pack straps and then when you are ready to remove your pack, the Koala will unclip and be suspended on its own harness. Kifaru has since transitioned to the Steelhead. I cannot say how it works but it is similar to the Koala.

I use a 22mag on the tactical frame. I used a cheap Kydex holster and zip tied onto the waist belt. Have a medium hip pouch over it. Works great for the G19 with light and optic on it. I can take a picture of it later if interested.

I use a 22mag on the tactical frame. I used a cheap Kydex holster and zip tied onto the waist belt. Have a medium hip pouch over it. Works great for the G19 with light and optic on it. I can take a picture of it later if interested.

I would love to see it when you have a chance to show it off, thanks!

Thanks!

Its good. Dang good.

I prefer my carry on the belt of the Kifaru for long days.
Im just not as comfortable with drawing from a chest rig as I am with a belt mount too.
I also zip/unzip a lot to control my own temp and the gun adds to hassle with that.

My buddy got the Kenai rig only, to wear like above.
He ended up getting a set up for a belt mount after archery and rifle seasons last year.

I attached a Safariland holster of some sort with their molle attachment for a scouting trip a few weeks ago. Rides a little high but wasn't an issue. as I wasn't carrying a bow at the time. If I was carrying my bow I'd want to mount it lower or somewhere else.

I prefer to keep my pistol on me at all times. Not on the pack or frame belt. What works for me is a G Code RTI setup / holster with their Optimal Drop System. It keeps the pistol below my Stone Glacier frame belt with a real comfortable carry and drawl.

I prefer to keep my pistol on me at all times. Not on the pack or frame belt. What works for me is a G Code RTI setup / holster with their Optimal Drop System. It keeps the pistol below my Stone Glacier frame belt with a real comfortable carry and drawl.

I like this idea and wanted it to work
Based on my body (no torso, all legs) I cant carry anything on my pants belt and wear a pack belt with much weight.

A great option for those who can do it.