• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol primer question

AZ.noob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I haven't personally done it, but there are guys who have developed safe centerfire pistol loads using small rifle primers.

If one were to start from scratch (with published starting charge volumes) can large rifle primers be substituted for large pistol primers?

The Large Rifle Primers and Large Pistol Primers can not be substituted because they have different dimensions. I don't recall which dimension causes the trouble, but they are different.

The Large and Small Pistol primers are the same dimensions. That's why they can be swapped.

Rifle primers are made from thicker brass and you may find that the firing pin in your pistol(s) do not have enough power, resulting in light strikes (misfires).

The difference in outside dimensions between rifle and pistol primers is the height of the primer, rifle primers being taller.

Joe

Last edited:
Loaded and fired many hundred small rifle primers in pistol rounds. Never had a gun that failed to pop the primer. That said, not sure a Glock will pop a SR primer but any wheelgun will be fine. Lots of folks use SR primers in their pistol carbines.
No way to swap LR and LP

I've used small pistol in 223 rounds. Never had a problem with either fail to fire or pierced metal.

If you want to dedicate cases to using the LR primers, a primer pocket uniformer run in a drill press will cut the pockets deep enough for the taller primers...may not be able to use LP after that though..

I use small pistol primers for my 300 AAC, keeps me from having to stock one of every variety of primers.

I've put LR primers in 45acp cases to shoot the Speer plastic training bullets. Never tried to shoot regular loads with them though.

SR and SP are the same dimensions.

LR and LP are the same diameter, but the LR is taller than LP.

I forget the exact details, but I was reading that CCI SP Magnum and SR primers are the same primers, IIRC.