• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol red dot - Aimpoint Acro or RMR for glock

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
Just picked up another glock, this one a 17 MOS.
Gonna try out a dot on it, just not sure which.
I might use it for road trips, some ccw and hopefully some sort of action sport as well - most likely ccw and bump in the night

what would you recommend?

Have you considered the SRO? That would be my choice. If you go ACRO get ready to change batteries once a month or so. The RMR is good to go, just a smaller window than the SRO.

As stated, battery life is an issue with the ACROS (and it does not take a 2032).
RMRs are tough but it has to come off of the gun for battery changes.
SROs are nice but you have to see where the lens lines up relative to the ejection port. If your particular pistol ejects up and back, you may have problems. Trijicon does not rate the SRO for duty use.

Get a Holosun 507c-gr for the best reticle choices and best battery life. I love the green 32moa circle with 2 moa dot.
20200320_094908.jpg

The little compartment on the side if for the battery. Easily changes without removing it from the weapon.
20200326_205133.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sgt47
Definitely the RMR. Especially if it’s for duty/defense type use. The SRO is made for competition. To me the acro is fugly and the battery issue is a big no from me.

The new holosun 507 are suppose to be awesome. I haven’t got to play with one yet. But for defense I’d still stick with the Trijicon RMR because it’s proven

Holosun 508 green dot. Just finished a 3 day 2,500 total round count course. My first pistol dot, eyes going fast with age. Big reticle used to get used to using a pistol optic. 1 MOA reticle after that. Day or night, supper bright sunlight or fading, worked like a champ.
Could not be happier. And for the money saved I have 2 for the price of one RMR. Plus no flicker issue the Gen 1 RMRs are reported to have. SRO failed to many torture test for me to feel comfortable EDC. Buddy has a Shield going on 3 year without a hitch. He’s a 1,000 9mm rounds a month guy. Hope this helps.

a good thing about a big box store like cabala's or bass pro shop some of them have many different brands maybe not all but a big selection of things to go look at and find one you like I would totally look at them decide what you liked then find it somewhere cheaper and buy it elsewhere but what you do is up to you . I saw the Trijicon RMR at cabala's then found them online at a way cheaper price picked up 2 for 500.00 dollars pop loves his I still have not put mine on yet its been about 3 years now . Good luck on what ever you decide to get .

+3 for the RMR

P-10 carbide.jpg

I LOL at the people who told me I would suck at USPSA with one because all the cool kids are shooting SROs and DPPs. They're usually the ones I beat.

BTW, an RMR battery should last at least a year if you leave it on all the time, probably four if you turn it off when not in use. So you have have to re-zero it once in a blue moon. BFD.

Holosun 508 green dot. Just finished a 3 day 2,500 total round count course. My first pistol dot, eyes going fast with age. Big reticle used to get used to using a pistol optic. 1 MOA reticle after that. Day or night, supper bright sunlight or fading, worked like a champ.
Could not be happier. And for the money saved I have 2 for the price of one RMR. Plus no flicker issue the Gen 1 RMRs are reported to have. SRO failed to many torture test for me to feel comfortable EDC. Buddy has a Shield going on 3 year without a hitch. He’s a 1,000 9mm rounds a month guy. Hope this helps.

Type 1 RMRs have been gone for several years.

The SRO is one of the most popular optics in USPSA Carry Optics and we shoot more rounds in one weekend than most shoot in one year.

Whose "torture test" are you talking about?

Trijicon remains the gold standard with many would be contenders coming up short in everything but anecdotal evidence.

Reactions: One1Bravo
I liked the looks of the Shield until I saw what one looked like after it was dropped. Check out SAGE Dynamics test of it. Aaron does like the Holosun 508 however. That said, I went RMR, because it's American and it is head and shoulders above the rest.

I appendix carry a G17 with an Acro. Changed out the battery at the beginning of the year and it's still good to go 3 months later. Battery changes are more frequent but not a monthly ordeal and you don't have to take off the optic to do it.

I'm planning on downsizing to a G19 but I'll probably put another Acro on it or that new Holoson enclosed optic.

I like how people complain about having to remove the optic to replace the battery on the RMR. You realize the battery will last an entire year on auto adjust? You shouldn’t have a problem re-confirming zero on your RMR equipped handgun once a year at most.

If that’s a problem, you simply don’t shoot enough.

My battery lasted 2 years before it died.

I’ve only ever used a the RMR RM06 on a G34...and holy shit it is tits. Not sure if other models or other brands are better, but I can say you won’t have any regrets.

If you use your gun for work and will have to use it to survive a gun fight get the RMR. If not look at the Holosun unless you have money to buy what ever then just get the RMR

Between those two options I'd definitely go RMR. I'm not a fan of the size of the ACRO or the "tunnel vision" feeling I got while looking through it.
20190911_155706.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
Another +whatever for the RMR. My CZ will have one when I can buy one. Its also not a Chinese optic. Buy American or at least an allied country whenever possible.
D0EF63E9-B8CF-43FC-9BCC-AA62721F8829.jpeg