• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Pistol Refresher?

macthknife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2004
clarksville, IN
It's been many years since My training at Ft. McClellan Alabama. And quite some time since I have had any range time with a trusty 1911. Are there any books or internet resourcees that is reccomended for brushing up on handgun skills? I would like to read some of Col. Jeff Coopers stuff, but can't really afford the kind of prices they are bringing on the Gunsite website...at lest until my 1911 is out of layaway. I'm mainly interested in knowing if there has been any evolution in hangun use since I was trained(1987).

I know that there are a lot of long range guys on here that are also proficient hangunners, so any and all advice is welcome. I beleive I have the basics covered(frt sight, squeeze,etc.), but never hurts to go over them again.

Later folks. Mac

Re: Pistol Refresher?

There's no replacement for range time & a good "hands-on" refresher course - I've been thinking the same thing lately.

I've been shooting pistol quite a bit lately, probably 300-500 rounds a week including the 22. After reading some stuff on forums and such I think that the best thing is to just get out and shoot, trial and error. My off days are such that it's usually me and old retired guys at the range. Those old retired guys are a big help in getting you squared away and are always happy to help. There are 2 of them that have helped me tremendously in getting the basics down such as natural stance, knowing the sight picture I'm looking for, grip, etc. If you are a member of a range that is pretty active there is a good chance someone there will be more than willing to spend a little time watching you shoot and give you pointers to correct issues you have. I'm very green at shooting pistol so I found having someone "coach" me to be invaluable compared to reading out of a book or forum.

I'm definately having some range sessions when I bring the new pistol home. Can't wait! Lord knows I need the practice. Used to be a pretty proficient pistolero, but with tired eyes and one lung missing, I guess those days are behind me.LOL

I volunteer LoneWolfUSMC or Phylodog as your private tutors.
laugh.gif

Personally, and I could be wrong here, I'd imagine that if you were trained correctly the first time, it'll come back to you sooner than you might think.

We have an 84 yoa Army WWII vet who is one of the members of my deer lease. Wayne said he hadnt shot a 1911 since the 40s. I let him go to town with mine. He shot groups as good as he could. Age has made his hand a little less steady, but he still shot better than some of people Ive seen at the local range. And, he still knew the ins and outs of the weapon.

Mac, they are indeed. Wayne has been on our lease since 51. He's become such a good family friend, that we havent charged him a lease fee since the late 60s. He doesnt even stay in the cabin or bunkhouse, he stays in my parent's house every weekend. (And, I mean every weekend during hunting season.)

Mac if you can find a armed security instructor he can go over with you the basic fundamentals. As far as I am aware most armed security instructors are N.R.A law enforcement certified. This might be cheaper that doing a handgun course through some big name. By the sounds of things you only need a refresher on the basics. Good luck with whatever you do.

Mac

Yeah. Heck...I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I have a good buddy that still active duty stationed at Atterbury, less than an hour away. I'm sure He would come down for some range time and a trip to Hooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's been many years since My training at Ft. McClellan Alabama </div></div>

Mac,

You can't have forgotten much if they named the fort after you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's been many years since My training at Ft. McClellan Alabama </div></div>

Mac,

You can't have forgotten much if they named the fort after you...
</div></div>
You have no idea how many pushups that got Me!LOL